Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

LeMond Nevada City is a good value?

Old 03-30-21, 09:32 PM
ezmiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LeMond Nevada City is a good value?

There is a LeMond Nevada City 53" being offered for $400 near me and I am considering it.

I'm curious to know more about the frame and if it is a good value? Can anyone tell me more about these frames and if they are a good value? Anything about the frame geometry?

I would have liked to post a picture but the forum won't allow me because I am too new on here. :/

Still any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-21, 09:39 PM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezmiller
There is a LeMond Nevada City 53" being offered for $400 near me and I am considering it.

I'm curious to know more about the frame and if it is a good value? Can anyone tell me more about these frames and if they are a good value? Anything about the frame geometry?

I would have liked to post a picture but the forum won't allow me because I am too new on here. :/

Still any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Actually if I post three more times I may be able to include a picture.
Old 03-31-21, 09:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,564 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.

Please do not make junk posts just to get to 10. They will be deleted.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-31-21, 09:58 AM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cb400bill is there any way that I can post a picture. It's not really possible to ask the question that I would like to ask without being able to post a picture...
Old 03-31-21, 10:27 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
ezmiller, maybe tell us a bit more about the bike as you see it. And where are you located?
Old 03-31-21, 10:41 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
cb400bill is there any way that I can post a picture. It's not really possible to ask the question that I would like to ask without being able to post a picture...
I believe you can upload a picture or pictures to your gallery and then someone can take them from there and paste them to the thread.
Old 03-31-21, 06:46 PM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
ezmiller, maybe tell us a bit more about the bike as you see it. And where are you located?
The full description of the bike is:
High quality Reynolds 853 steel tubing. Ready to ride triple crank road bike by lemond. 53cm frame originally from Greggs. I have the owners manual if you want it. Shifters are sora brifters. Compare this to a new steel bike like surly crosscheck or specialized and see the savings. Bike fits people 5'6" and taller best. 52cm 53cm 54cm
the bike looks to be in decent shape from the images. I don't see anything obvious -- besides it being a bit dirty -- but I also don't know what to look for. I also know nothing of the frame model originally, and I've not been able to find much on it by searching the web.

Thought somebody here might know about the model, and when it might have been made.
Old 03-31-21, 07:25 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Sounds like a nice frame with lesser components.

Could be worth the price if it fits. 853 is nice stuff.
Old 03-31-21, 09:06 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
OP there is a lot of information on the bike if you search the web

https://products.roadbikereview.com/...ty-290574.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...vada-city.html

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-31-21, 09:11 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
If it's dark blue it's a 2001, if silver it's a 2002.

2003 was a black bike with 520 tubing. 2004 was blue with white decals and aluminum tubing.

If it's an '01 or '02, then the frame makes it a fairly desirable bike(853 main tubes, 525 stays). $400, I'd think, is about a max value, depending on condition, wheels...location matters.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-31-21, 09:32 PM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I may know be able to post pictures so here is the bike. It sounds like it may be the 2001 based on what fishboat said:

Old 04-01-21, 12:17 AM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to find a PDF with a description of the bike and some frame geometry!

Old 04-01-21, 05:51 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Has a steel fork..(nothing wrong with that) rather than the carbon fork that the higher end models had. The geometry should be the same as the higher end models. 853 "designer select" tubing seems the same as the second-tier buenos aires. Overall..it should ride very nice. A Zurich (top tier model) would run $500-$700 depending on condition and reality-state of the seller. Lots of ebay examples can be more$$..but there's less reality on ebay.
Old 04-01-21, 03:35 PM
billmckay

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro(2003); 1994 Cannondale R 800

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Have you checked this site: Untitled Document It gives catalogs for all the years they were made. Lots of useful info.

For what an opinion is worth, it does not matter much whether it is 400 or 500 dollars; it depends where you live; what the market is like; and most importantly, what you want. I bought a 2003 Buenos Aires with full ultegra groupset in pretty good shape for $425 six months ago; I thought it was a great deal. I have been trying to sell it for a few bucks more and have not had a bite. The seller of my bike happened to find a guy who wanted a Lemond so it was well worth it to me. I have not. I think I will just keep it even though I found a bike a like even more, mostly because it is still a very cool bike.
Bill McKay
Old 04-01-21, 07:38 PM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the bike for $370. I rode it and it felt good. Needs a cleanup, but the shifting and breaks felt pretty good. The paint job has some blemishes in spots, which is too bad but maybe not surprising. Now I'm curious what kind of improvements could be made. I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade the components and wheels to more modern components.

I'm curious how people here might approach making improvements or fixing up a bike like this...

Last edited by ezmiller; 04-01-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-02-21, 02:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
lemonds from that era tended to ride a little more relaxed seat post was a little more set back so instead of pushing directly down on the pedals,
you pushed down and forwards to take advantage of (different) muscles differently.

you could spread/cold set the rear triangle to accommodate a bigger cassette/gear range if you're going to do hills, tour, etc.

really just depends on the riding you're planning on doing/is readily available to you. whatever keeps you returning to the bike is the key.
the goal is to avoid it, and you, collecting dust and cobwebs.
Old 04-02-21, 07:41 AM
fishboat

$370 is reasonable. It's a nice ride by any measure. Good tires are always worthwhile investment. Mount the widest, fastest tire you can get on there. I can't see the what the wheels are. Even a nicely decent new set of wheels will run as much as you paid for the bike..and you may not(probably won't) feel much of a difference.

The most significant differences between this bike and a couple levels up are lighter wheels, carbon fork, and groupset. I personally have nothing against a good steel fork. The groupset you have will be heavier than 105, Ultegra, or DA, but if what you have works well(and it likely does) then any changes will offer very marginal improvements.

If you dropped a significant amount in upgrades ($1K or more) you'd notice it initially, but then you'd do better to have spent more than $1400 to begin with.

Tune it up as needed(derailleur adjustment, cables, brake pads, true the wheels), put good tires on it and ride it.

Last edited by fishboat; 04-03-21 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-21, 02:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I bought the bike for $370. I rode it and it felt good. Needs a cleanup, but the shifting and breaks felt pretty good. The paint job has some blemishes in spots, which is too bad but maybe not surprising. Now I'm curious what kind of improvements could be made. I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade the components and wheels to more modern components.

I'm curious how people here might approach making improvements or fixing up a bike like this...
Based on the pic the paint looks pretty good with a few spots of light touch up and nice wax it should come back to looking almost new. If thew wheels and shifter's are in good shape I think you did fine on price.
Old 04-05-21, 09:16 AM
ezmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Based on the pic the paint looks pretty good with a few spots of light touch up and nice wax it should come back to looking almost new. If thew wheels and shifter's are in good shape I think you did fine on price.
The pain is decent. There are definitely some rough spots that could use a touch up. Does anyone know of a good guide to how to do touch ups. For example, how does one even get a matching color?

In terms of other improvements, my thought was in part to use this bike to learn some stuff about bike maintenance and building. So I wouldn't mind putting some money into it. Upgrading or renewing the wheels seems like it could be a good place to start. I suppose swapping or renewing the groupset would be a bigger lift.

Any suggestions on where to focus if I did want to spend a bit o money / time on making this bike markedly better? I'm also curious how to think about making it better? With a bike like this, from 2001, does it make sense to put newer components on it because of improved tech? Or does it make more sense to improve it within the set of components that would have been available in 2001, for example maybe looking at the higher end versions of the frame and trying to find some of those components to put on the bike?