Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is there any interest in listing a bicycle's components for documentation purposes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is there any interest in listing a bicycle's components for documentation purposes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 11:27 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

I noticed (while following the KHS Team Pro bicycle thread) that many times, when someone ends up finding a bicycle, the new owner doesn't have a clue if the components on his new purchase are original. I don't consider myself a "factory completest" when I consider my own rider bicycles, but I am always sorta curious to what appeared on the bicycle to begin with. Is there any benefit or interest in possibly documenting that type of information? I realize for some bicycles there were catalogs made, and for popular brands these have been shared to the interwebs, but for something like the KHS Team Pro, catalog data seems pretty scarce. And have you looked at bicycle catalog listing on #bay lately (I horded the wrong things, apparently). Well, let me know your take on the subject, and thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-19, 11:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is not quite what you asked but it is on topic I think. I nearly always list the parts on my vintage builds, both how I found the bike and how I finished them up. That helps me think through how I want to build a bike and any changes I might want to make.
Old 05-12-19, 11:52 AM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by bikemig
This is not quite what you asked but it is on topic I think. I nearly always list the parts on my vintage builds, both how I found the bike and how I finished them up. That helps me think through how I want to build a bike and any changes I might want to make.
I think it is on point... I believe I've tried, to the best of my abilities, to list the components on bicycles I've come across too, with the caveat that I'm never really sure if they've represent "factory specs" or not. I appreciate those people who will do this (and have done it in the past), but I guess I always feel a bit like a bit of a bother-er when I've asked people to provide the same type of data in their postings.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 05-12-19 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 12:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Having worked in bicycle manufacturing, I can tell you that what the catalog lists as components isn't carved in stone. Non-catalog components may be slip-streamed into the assembly line due to parts shortages, shipments delayed in customs, problems with original spec component, etc. So I don't see any compelling reason to insist that a bike exactly match whatever was pictured in the catalog.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-12-19, 12:36 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Having worked in bicycle manufacturing, I can tell you that what the catalog lists as components isn't carved in stone. Non-catalog components may be slip-streamed into the assembly line due to parts shortages, shipments delayed in customs, problems with original spec component, etc. So I don't see any compelling reason to insist that a bike exactly match whatever was pictured in the catalog.
I worked at a Schwinn shop for a few years... and yes, we often made changes to customers bicycles, at the point of the original sale. And, yes, sometimes the bicycles, straight from the box, didn't always match what the catalog had listed. These issues will always be there. I guess I'm just curious about how a bicycle may have been originally spec'ed. I don't think bicycles could ever be considered "factory correct" when many people have commented, from their own experiences, that changes to components were often made in the industry.
Old 05-12-19, 03:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm no purist for original components and I just find it interesting to see some info about a bike's original setup. If nothing else it might help identifying a stolen bike. For example, an owner might have replaced the original short cage rear derailleur with a long cage version from another era to suit a cassette or freewheel with bigger cogs. That little bit of info might help identify a stolen bike at a glance, without asking the thief or seller to flip the bike upside down to check the serial number.

Recently I visited the LBS to get a tube and couple other small doodads and enjoyed listening to the owner chatter about my new-to-me early 1990s Trek 5900 (probably 1993). He's been a Trek dealer for 30something years and remembers a lot of Trek trivia, including the kerfluffles over "bad"headsets in the early 2000s when Trek departed from the originally spec'd Chris King headsets, etc., then had to offer free replacements to customers to use the King headsest. That was helpful because I didn't know whether the King headset on mine was the original or a replacement (it's the original). Ditto the White bottom bracket, also original. But I already knew some other components were replacements when I bought it. Not really all that important, just interesting minutiae.

And because web jpegs don't always show colors accurately, it helps to have access to someone's memory bank when you can't find an original catalog or brochure. My 5900 has purple paint, which I think Trek named "Abyss." But in some digital cameras and web browsers it appears blue, which can be confused with Trek's various blue colors from that era. My phone jpegs show the bike's true purple color, but my Nikon raw files need to be tweaked carefully to show the purple color accurately, because the out of camera jpegs show it as blue. Same with some web browsers, which vary in color management. My phone shows it as purple during the day, but when it switches to "night mode" at midnight with a blue-cut filter, the bike appears blue in the same photos. (Same reason why different viewers perceive certain color combinations differently and argue about it online -- it varies not only with human vision, but web browsers and devices.)

And a manager at that LBS used to work for a dealer that sold Univegas, so he remembers details that may not be readily available online. For example, my early 1990s Via Carisma has a Shimano Exage 500 CX group, which is among the few groups not listed on the VeloBase site. I need to clean up that bike, photograph the components and contribute those to the VeloBase site, which has been very helpful to me so it's worth the effort to contribute a little.

Reminds me, I need to ask that fellow about the other Univegas that used their Biaxial Power Oval frames with splatter paint. I kinda like that quirky frame design, and hope to find a touring bike frame with it.
Old 05-12-19, 08:48 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Have you tried looking through https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/? I glanced through it- nothing "vintage" to my mind but might help someone researching bikes from the early '90's onward.

I worked in a Schwinn shop in the early '80's and finished my bicycle industry career collecting information at Bike'alog. I know that bikes are infinitely fungible... in my Schwinn days we would modify new bikes at the customer's request and not charge labor.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-13-19, 09:26 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If you're buying it from the original owner, I would expect they'd remember if they made some sort of major component swap on it. If it's already secondhand, you're going to have to use some of your own detective skills on it.
If it's got a full, period correct group on it, it's probably OE.
Of course, if it's seen a lot of use, many things may have been swapped out by previous riders, based on what they needed.

Now, if that KHS in the OP had, say 600 Tricolor shifters and brakes, but Alivio DRs and an Origin8 crank, i'd be wary.

For bikes i'm selling, if it has a mostly complete (shifter/dr) group, Ill list it, but, then, I don't really traffic in 'Factory Restorations'
Old 05-13-19, 10:04 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
When I built my dream bike, I had a spreadsheet with every component listed that I would need, which brand/model would be my target, my cost estimate, etc. Very similar to a Bill of Materials that the manufacturers would use. This allowed me to control my total price, make concessions when necessary, and track how much I'd already spent.

I had everything in there including cables and bottle cages... 29 line items. When I actually bought each component, usually one at a time, I'd finalize that line and include the price and model number for each piece. It was a fun and worth while document to use; it doesn't have much value to me any more.
Old 05-13-19, 11:50 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
There is value in documenting components used. When trying to identify a bike I often include "specs" as a search term.
Old 05-13-19, 12:28 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1.

I happen to have (don't ask) two Raleigh Competition 12's. They are from the same MY ('84) and were made just a couple of months apart. The one on the left with the Weinmann brakes is the earliest (December '83), and conforms to what the brochure for the year states. But apparently they switched suppliers shortly after printing and starting production, and the other (from January '84) features Shimano 600:

Old 05-13-19, 01:23 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I use Pedal Room to document the bikes I have, including components.

However...

I can't remember to keep it current.
I should be better at entering S/N's, etc.
I should be better at current pics, etc.

In other words, it's there if I was smart enough to use it.