Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 10:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Here is the above view on the attached. The trail starts at the west side of the image, and I've highlighted it. On the west end, there are two paths you can take to the north to get to a neighborhood where you could be picked up. But, from where I wrote "Lake" heading east to the end of the trail there are no other ways off the MUP. At the northeast end, there appears to be a series of trails leading off, but there is literally nothing leading off the MUP to an area accessible by car. All of the land at that end is heavily wooded. Hwy 360 is not accessible from the MUP at the east end due to a fence that separates the park from the highway. There is also a largish ravine between the MUP end and the highway with a creek leading to the river. The river runs on the south of the MUP along its entire length. The opposite side is primarily small lakes and wetlands. Bottom line is that it's a long walk from the northeast end to anyplace you could be picked up.

Ultimately, the plan is to tunnel under Hwy 360 and have a path leading all the way to Dallas. On the other end of this park, they are planning to extend the path to Fort Worth. That will result in about a 52 mile continuous MUP.
It might not be a fun walk, but it wouldn't be anywhere near 5 miles, either. Maps is showing bicycle-friendly roads and walkable paths through the area that you marked "wetlands" and images suggest that there are cars paths that are passable - so you might have to CX it a little to shave a few miles off - it'd be a nice adventure.
Old 03-16-21, 10:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Going to see/possibly purchase bike this afternoon. I had put off mentioning this to Mrs. GeneJockey, fearing she might object, but she didn't bat an eye. She's used to me by now. Probably noticed I've been watching a lot of "Jay Leno's Garage" videos and decided bikes are better than cars to collect. And it keeps me sane, which keeps me employed, which keeps us fed, clothed, and housed. So, there's that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-16-21, 10:57 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Going to see/possibly purchase bike this afternoon. I had put off mentioning this to Mrs. GeneJockey, fearing she might object, but she didn't bat an eye. She's used to me by now. Probably noticed I've been watching a lot of "Jay Leno's Garage" videos and decided bikes are better than cars to collect. And it keeps me sane, which keeps me employed, which keeps us fed, clothed, and housed. So, there's that.
My wife monitors our credit cards for unusual activity on a regular basis. Last night, she asked me what the charge at Performance Bike is for. I told her that was for her computer and Varia radar. She then asked what the charge was at Summit Bike, and I told her that's for a new helmet. To which she sarcastically responded that "Of course you need a new helmet." Then she wanted to know what the charge was at Singletrack Cycles, and I told her it was for bar tape. Then she saw a charge at the LBS, and just rolled her eyes and said she gives up.

I just ask her if she'd rather I have a girlfriend or a hobby.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-16-21, 11:06 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Anyone else finish their brackets yet?

Old 03-16-21, 11:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

My wife monitors our credit cards for unusual activity on a regular basis. Last night, she asked me what the charge at Performance Bike is for. I told her that was for her computer and Varia radar. She then asked what the charge was at Summit Bike, and I told her that's for a new helmet. To which she sarcastically responded that "Of course you need a new helmet." Then she wanted to know what the charge was at Singletrack Cycles, and I told her it was for bar tape. Then she saw a charge at the LBS, and just rolled her eyes and said she gives up.

I just ask her if she'd rather I have a girlfriend or a hobby.
Mrs. GeneJockey does that sporadically. Back when I was buying a lot of watches and parts, there were a couple charges of $30-70 every week (the watches I collect are undervalued.) I think she got tired of doing it.

Old 03-16-21, 12:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

Hoping for a very unlikely final.

Can't stand Baylor. Would be happy to see a R1 upset.

Old 03-16-21, 12:07 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
We don't have an auditing department at rjones28, inc.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-16-21, 12:09 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
Also, so far, I've managed to avoid spending my entire bike shop paycheck on bikes and parts.
Old 03-16-21, 12:11 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts

Not sure how I feel about the grey. kind of wish I went with blue. Wife did a good job, she’s getting faster. She says Carl at park tools talks too much. lol
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-16-21, 12:20 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by rjones28
She doesn't really audit my spending. We've been hit with fraudulent activity several times in the last couple of years, so she keeps on top of our personal cards and the kid's card. One of the fraud incidents was almost $20k in fraudulent charges. In another that we had some real difficulty getting resolved, somebody opened a fake FedEx account in her name and linked it to our credit card, then shipped stuff all over the world. One charge for an overnight to South Africa was more than $2k. Had to "lawyer up" on the FedEx fraud since one arm of FedEx said they agreed it was obviously fraud, but the collection arm didn't talk to the other and insisted on getting paid.

I'm just glad she monitors the accounts.
Old 03-16-21, 12:20 PM
bampilot06

how did you manage that? My auditing department even questions money she spent!
Old 03-16-21, 12:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by bampilot06

Not sure how I feel about the grey. kind of wish I went with blue. Wife did a good job, she’s getting faster. She says Carl at park tools talks too much. lol
Can you send her to my place when my tape comes in?

The gray will get dirty soon enough, and then you can change it.
Old 03-16-21, 12:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

how did you manage that? My auditing department even questions money she spent!
That's because you make her spend it.
Old 03-16-21, 12:35 PM
WhyFi

Also, so far, I've managed to avoid spending my entire bike shop paycheck on bikes and parts.
You're obviously not trying hard enough.
Old 03-16-21, 12:35 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,729 Posts

reminds me of this.
Old 03-16-21, 12:37 PM
WhyFi

Don't let Mo see that tape - he'll get all twitchy-eyed.
Old 03-16-21, 12:41 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,729 Posts
We didn't celebrate you hitting 50k posts. Or did I miss it? Kudos.
Old 03-16-21, 12:47 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Yeah, previous pic looked fine, it probably is just some barrel distortion in the cleaned up pic.

No, you were right. They are slightly bent. I'm not sure whether to leave them alone, try to bend back , or just replace.
Old 03-16-21, 12:48 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
https://youtu.be/ru8hLfwiTAs
reminds me of this.
One of my favorite albums.
Old 03-16-21, 01:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Jack Tone

No, you were right. They are slightly bent. I'm not sure whether to leave them alone, try to bend back , or just replace.
Yeah, that looks....strange. Like zero rake.

Old 03-16-21, 01:39 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Don't let Mo see that tape - he'll get all twitchy-eyed.
I'm so frustrated that I screwed up the tape on my SLT.

I used the Zipp Service Course stuff which has "SERVICE COURSE" embossed repeatedly along one edge.

On the initial wrapping I screwed up by starting each side at opposite ends of the tape. This error presents itself in one of two ways: (1) both sides wrapped the same way but one side has logos and the other doesn't, or (2) both sides have logos but they are wrapped in different directions.

I tried to make it symmetrical last night starting from version (2) above, but the tape had stretched from being on the bars for a few months and I had to settle for option (1).

I'm kind of hoping that this tape wears out quickly so I can replace it and do it correctly.
Old 03-16-21, 01:54 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp

I used the Zipp Service Course stuff which has "SERVICE COURSE" embossed repeatedly along one edge.

On the initial wrapping I screwed up by starting each side at opposite ends of the tape. This error presents itself in one of two ways: (1) both sides wrapped the same way but one side has logos and the other doesn't, or (2) both sides have logos but they are wrapped in different directions.

I tried to make it symmetrical last night starting from version (2) above, but the tape had stretched from being on the bars for a few months and I had to settle for option (1).

I'm kind of hoping that this tape wears out quickly so I can replace it and do it correctly.
Oof - I feel ya. My tape was bad enough and that doesn't even have directional text, it's just the colored perforations on one side of the tape. Still, hitting the levers made me stop and think so that I could get proper coverage, keep wrapping in the same direction and overlap it correctly. They just need to not cheap out and give us the design on the full width of the tape.
Old 03-16-21, 02:15 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oof - I feel ya. My tape was bad enough and that doesn't even have directional text, it's just the colored perforations on one side of the tape. Still, hitting the levers made me stop and think so that I could get proper coverage, keep wrapping in the same direction and overlap it correctly. They just need to not cheap out and give us the design on the full width of the tape.
When I was wrapping initially I think I got preoccupied with making sure both sides had logos and didn't pay much attention to how I was wrapping it. I think it was out on my second ride on the thing that I realized my mistake

Nobody called me out for it in Hot or Not though
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-16-21, 02:23 PM
bampilot06

Can you send her to my place when my tape comes in?

The gray will get dirty soon enough, and then you can change it.

I told her she should work at the lbs once a week for a couple of hours. She could make extra bike money wrapping bars.
Old 03-16-21, 02:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by abshipp

I ran into that with the Fizik tape I've been using. I ended up unwinding one of the rolls and starting from the inside of the roll. That worked.

I did the Cannondale with Cinelli. Their tape is symmetrical - logos in the middle in alternating orientation - so it didn't require any thought.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.