Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Be nice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 01:24 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Be nice

I am posting this on some of my other cycling forums.

BE NICE

Quite often a new or somewhat new member will ask a question that has maybe even been done to death before. But unless this new member has searched thru thousands of threads he or she may not know it. So I say either answer the question, or just let it slide. As I say ------------- be nice------------there is no reason for some of the snide remarks I see posted.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-02-21 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-02-21, 01:44 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Thank you for this post!! I am such a newbie when it comes to fixing up bikes and I still am learning all the terminology and teaching myself at 52 how all the bike parts work and its hard for someone just starting out wanting to learn about bike repair and basic maintenance to quickly learn all the lingo and bike speak.. I try to search for old threads as much as possible but there are so many here that sometimes it is just easier to post a new thread and hope for a nice reply. I do have to say though I have gotten several really nice replies over the past several months from several members but I have seen my share of snippy comments on some other posts, not mine but some other ones.
Likes For tpadul:
Old 02-02-21, 03:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I've got $10 that says we're about to see an avalanche of recumbent threads ...
Old 02-02-21, 04:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Let's hope for warm weather so he's not board and sitting at the keyboard all day.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-02-21, 04:12 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

BE NICE

Quite often a new or somewhat new member will ask a question that has maybe even been done to death before. But unless this new member has searched thru thousands of threads her or she may not know it. So I say either answer the question, or just let it slide. As I say ------------- be nice------------there is no reason for some of the snide remarks I see posted.
Well said.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-02-21, 05:22 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I've been on many forums for several years and the search feature doesn't work too well on many of them. (Absolutely worthless on a few of them).
Keep in mind that a newbie member usually has a limited "bicycle vocabulary". They don't know which terms to enter into the search window.
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 02-02-21, 05:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts

BE NICE

Quite often a new or somewhat new member will ask a question that has maybe even been done to death before. But unless this new member has searched thru thousands of threads her or she may not know it. So I say either answer the question, or just let it slide. As I say ------------- be nice------------there is no reason for some of the snide remarks I see posted.

This is a great sentiment. Let's also remember this info, from the forum guidelines that are listed in the FAQs:

Intelligence

We’re a community with quality standards and expect our members will make a sincere effort to contribute their thoughts on interesting subjects in a meaningful and respectful manner. Posting messages and otherwise interacting on BikeForums is completely optional; many members often prefer to just read what others have to say. But if you do post, we expect that you’ll be respectful of the time of others by posting meaningfully.
Old 02-02-21, 06:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Personally, I think that sometimes it's a no-win situation. If they post a question that's been asked before, they're told to do a search. If they first do a search and then post to a 10-year-old thread, they're taken to task for resurrecting a zombie thread. I think unless there's another current thread on the same subject, a new thread won't hurt anyone.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 02-02-21, 06:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
It's the internet. Kids should be monitored by the guardian just as if they were in a city park.
adults can click on or scroll past the less desirable posts
Old 02-02-21, 06:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Personally, I think that sometimes it's a no-win situation. If they post a question that's been asked before, they're told to do a search. If they first do a search and then post to a 10-year-old thread, they're taken to task for resurrecting a zombie thread. I think unless there's another current thread on the same subject, a new thread won't hurt anyone.
sums it up.
Old 02-02-21, 06:31 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A good example of what I am talking about.
Old 02-02-21, 06:31 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by glennr
let's hope for warm weather so he's not board and sitting at the keyboard all day.
Old 02-02-21, 06:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
A good example of what I am talking about.
No, just an example of how some people have zero sense of humor.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-02-21, 06:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 02-02-21, 07:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
If we're going to have an actual discussion about this, here are my thoughts. Feel free to tear into me.

The mods enforce rules which enforce certain norms regarding foul and inappropriate language, name-calling, sock puppetry, and the like. But there seems no way to reliably enforce the forum guideline that I posted above, in post #8, which recommends that people post intelligent and meaningful information. At least, the mods seem to do nothing about it. (Though they might send private messages to some posters; I don't know.)

I think most people on bf are actually pretty tolerant of newbies who ask for advice on chain lube and whether disc brakes are superior to rim brakes. Sure, there might be a few tongue-in-cheek posts ("Oh, no, not another chain lube thread!"), but I don't see rudeness very often. And I think most bf'ers are pretty tolerant of people who make mistakes -- say, people who post verifiable info that turns out to be incorrect; it helps if the person acknowledges the error -- but with this being the internet, that happens rarely.

However, I think that most of us have our limits, and some posters really push against those limits: people who repeatedly post information that is off-topic and even inaccurate, who post topics to the wrong forums, who derail threads. People who feel compelled to tell others how they should ride, what types of machines they should ride, how they should fit, etc -- especially when such "advice" was never requested in the first place. That is NOT being "nice" -- it is presumptuous, haughty, and potentially harmful to forumers who don't yet know how to separate good info from nonsense. And it often violates the guideline referenced above, which recommends that we post intelligently and meaningfully.

When a poster repeatedly, chronically, violates that guideline, some other posters are bound to act as many would in "real life": by telling the insulting time-waster to stop wasting time. And in response to the suggestion that we can all just skip the posts and threads that we find stupid: how do we know they are stupid until we have already wasted our time on them?

Last edited by Koyote; 02-02-21 at 10:11 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-02-21, 07:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Koyote
The mods enforce rules which prohibit certain norms regarding foul and inappropriate language, name-calling, sock puppetry, and the like. But there seems no way to reliably enforce the forum guideline that I posted above, in post #8, which recommends that people post intelligent and meaningful information. At least, the mods seem to do nothing about it. (Though they might send private messages to some posters; I don't know.)
Being a Mod is a thankless job. It never ends and without them this would be the wild west.

They do their best and after all... they do it for free.

While I, at times have disagreed with the mods, i'm a moderator on a very large VW forum so I understand what's involved. I respect them and appreciate what they do.

If you want to help... hit the report button and make them aware of chronic rule breakers and bad posts.

[/off soapbox]
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-02-21, 07:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by koyote
if we're going to have an actual discussion about this, here are my thoughts. Feel free to tear into me.

The mods enforce rules which prohibit certain norms regarding foul and inappropriate language, name-calling, sock puppetry, and the like. But there seems no way to reliably enforce the forum guideline that i posted above, in post #8, which recommends that people post intelligent and meaningful information. At least, the mods seem to do nothing about it. (though they might send private messages to some posters; i don't know.)

i think most people on bf are actually pretty tolerant of newbies who ask for advice on chain lube and whether disc brakes are superior to rim brakes. Sure, there might be a few tongue-in-cheek posts ("oh, no, not another chain lube thread!"), but i don't see rudeness very often. And i think most bf'ers are pretty tolerant of people who make mistakes -- say, people who post verifiable info that turns out to be incorrect; it helps if the person acknowledges the error -- but with this being the internet, that happens rarely.

However, i think that most of us have our limits, and some posters really push against those limits: People who repeatedly post information that is off-topic and even inaccurate, who post topics to the wrong forums, who derail threads. People who feel compelled to tell others how they should ride, what types of machines they should ride, how they should fit, etc -- especially when such "advice" was never requested in the first place. That is not being "nice" -- it is presumptuous, haughty, and potentially harmful to forumers who don't yet know how to separate good info from nonsense. And it often violates the guideline referenced above, which recommends that we post intelligently and meaningfully.

When a poster repeatedly, chronically, violates that guideline, some other posters are bound to act as many would in "real life": By telling the insulting time-waster to stop wasting time. And in response to the suggestion that we can all just skip the posts and threads that we find stupid: How do we know they are stupid until we have already wasted our time on them?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-02-21, 07:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
But there seems no way to reliably enforce the forum guideline that I posted above, in post #8, which recommends that people post intelligent and meaningful information....
I can assure you there is zero interest in enforcing that part of the guidelines.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-02-21, 08:21 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Now that you mention it, I haven't watched Roadhouse in a couple of years at least.
Thanks for the nudge!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-02-21, 09:14 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I can assure you there is zero interest in enforcing that part of the guidelines.

It is hard to judge what someone's intelligence limitations are. But you're right. Maybe we should go over your posts more and do a little clean up.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 02-02-21, 09:24 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
It is hard to judge what someone's intelligence limitations are. But you're right. Maybe we should go over your posts more and do a little clean up.
Moderator's pet.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-02-21, 09:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
When I search for something I don’t go to BF search, I Google it, sometimes different phrasing, and I’ll add “forum” to the query if I want that type of info.

One thing I learned early on, no matter what forum, is to search for something first, get a little knowledge, and more importantly try to get the right terminology.

Even still, some, actually many, threads spin off into parts unknown, sometimes as boredom sets in and sometimes as two or more posters duke it out over some side topic.

What irritates me are the threads that really look like trolling and 50 posts go by and the OP has never replied. But when a new poster does a reasonable job of explaining and stays engaged with reasonable responses it would be nice if they got a pass.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-02-21, 09:36 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Civility is the lubricant of society.
Old 02-02-21, 10:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
There is no reason for some of the snide remarks I see posted.
True, but some are justified and add a necessary spice to an otherwise lobotomized discussion.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-02-21, 11:43 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Civility is the lubricant of society.
Thanks, now you've started another which lube argument in this thread.
Likes For Skulking:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.