Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

PVC Pipe for frame?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

PVC Pipe for frame?

Old 03-06-21, 03:29 AM
MrInitialMan

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
PVC Pipe for frame?

I saw a few videos on YouTube about quads made of PVC piping. What do you guys think of using that for a material?
Old 03-06-21, 04:22 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I've worked for a company for over 36 years making PVC pipe, fittings and glue. I think a bike frame from PVC pipe would work as well as a fart in a phone booth.

Old 03-06-21, 08:12 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I would say PVC is a last resort for a bike frame. It flexes too much.
You can still make a lot of other good stuff from PVC like bike racks, Canoe racks for your truck, etc.
Old 03-06-21, 08:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
It flexes, expands and contracts, and makes a horrible looking and riding bike. What's not to like?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-06-21, 09:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
The best application for PVC with bikes is making little accessory add on posts and mounts. Well mitered and zip tied extensions have held bike computers and lights on recumbents for decades. Andy
Old 03-06-21, 06:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
I would say PVC is a last resort for a bike frame. It flexes too much.
And when it flexes too much, it shatters.

I suppose you could use PVC pipe as a foundation and wrap it with carbon fiber to provide strength and stiffness. But what would be the point?
Old 03-06-21, 11:25 PM
MrInitialMan

I was looking at quads like these, from American Speedster
Old 03-07-21, 03:32 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan
I was looking at quads like these, from American Speedster
Top marks for ingenuity to those guys. But a bike frame would be hard, especially the fork, because it has fewer tubes. You would need large diameters, two top tubes (or similar). You would need a much larger diameter head tube and steerer and therefore non-standard bearings. And all the attachment points like dropouts etc. would need to be metal comprehensively glued in place (like you see on bamboo frames).
Old 03-07-21, 08:00 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
On the plus side of the ledger, sub-millimeter tolerances are probably not required.
Old 03-07-21, 09:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
They aren't required on any other kind of frame either. Anyone says they hold those kinds of tolerances is blowing smoke
Old 03-07-21, 11:18 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I made one once for a bicycle store rooftop. (display purpose only).
Old 03-07-21, 11:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Back in the late 1970s there was an attempt to produce an "all plastic" bike. We saw plastic bearings (Nyfor? headsets), plastic freewheels (very yucky feeling between the sort of spin and rough catchiness to the ratchet) and more. A company produces a plastic frame (and not the engineered plastics we call carbon these days) and it was so flexy... I don't remember how the component interfaces were handled (as in a BB shell sleeve in metal?) as it was intended to accept then current parts. Some of us who handled or learned of this attempt have retained their dislike for plastic stuff. (or was it the cracking Simplex ft der clamps that soured our view of stressed plastic being better then stressed metal). Andy
Old 03-07-21, 11:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I had a nyfor headset on my teledyne breakaway bike for a while. Suitable choice for a bike made out of CP titanium, which is just a little stronger than chewing gum.
Old 03-07-21, 02:36 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
They aren't required on any other kind of frame either. Anyone says they hold those kinds of tolerances is blowing smoke
I thought for a minute I forgot the smiley.
Old 03-07-21, 06:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I was grumpy all day, had to turn off my computer.
Old 03-07-21, 06:24 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And when it flexes too much, it shatters.

I suppose you could use PVC pipe as a foundation and wrap it with carbon fiber to provide strength and stiffness. But what would be the point?
Oh my gosh yes it will shatter unexpectedly! Terrible material for repeated flexing and vibrations.
Old 03-08-21, 06:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
The cynical side of me says these guys really just want to sell plans. I really question if these really work.

Some warning signs for me in include the note the pvc must be reinforced with wood or a metal pipe, there are no pictures of anyone sitting on these things, and there are no pictures of details like bottom bracket and crank setup

also PVC get really brittle in the cold which we know Alberta has.

This is so far off your long stated design goals that you should just rethink them

i.e forget quad go for 3 wheel, one in back and 2 in front, forget suspension and use big tires, super light outside covering, and so on. Good luck

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-08-21, 07:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I believe the OP has another thread about trying to build a 4 wheeler pedal thing with all kinds of uncommon thinking. A bunch of us tried to lend our views then too. Andy
Old 03-09-21, 01:36 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by squirtdad
The cynical side of me says these guys really just want to sell plans. I really question if these really work.

Some warning signs for me in include the note the pvc must be reinforced with wood or a metal pipe, there are no pictures of anyone sitting on these things, and there are no pictures of details like bottom bracket and crank setup

also PVC get really brittle in the cold which we know Alberta has.

This is so far off your long stated design goals that you should just rethink them

i.e forget quad go for 3 wheel, one in back and 2 in front, forget suspension and use big tires, super light outside covering, and so on. Good luck
This was me rethinking my plans, sir--using PVC pipe because I can't weld.

And besides, if I go 3 wheel now, the guys at Cranked are going to be super-annoyed: they just spent a joyous weekend last month lacing up the wheels for the rear end. (Note: On another forum I'm on, the forumites there use green to denote sarcasm.)

But I am seriously considering not using suspension, like you suggested.

And I'll make a confession: I've more than just seen videos; I have seen this in person--someone in a nearby town owns one. Their kids seem to like it.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 03-09-21 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-09-21, 03:25 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts

And besides, if I go 3 wheel now, the guys at Cranked are going to be super-annoyed: they just spent a joyous weekend last month lacing up the wheels for the rear end. (Note: On another forum I'm on, the forumites there use green to denote sarcasm.)

And I'll make a confession: I've more than just seen videos; I have seen this in person--someone in a nearby town owns one. Their kids seem to like it.
It's much easier to learn to weld than it is to make a chassis or bike frame out of PVC pipe! Especially if you aren't too bothered about weight-- you can use thicker steel (like 1.6mm) and buzz it together with a flux-core welder, which only costs 100 notes or so. People are a bit snobbish about flux-core but with a little practice and a decent quality wire you can make an acceptable joint on material between about 1.6mm and 2mm thickness.
Old 03-09-21, 05:17 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 180 Posts
PVC is brittle when cold, also gets brittle when exposure to sunlight over time when it shatters it beaks up into shivs . To much flex . You can weld PVC it uses a plastic rod and hot air Harbor freight used to sell a PVC welder
Old 03-09-21, 07:38 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Quick experiment. Take the longest piece you can fit it your freezer. let it sit over night. first thing in the morning take that outside and swing it around like a madman when it explodes look at the pointy end and ask your self do I want that to enter my body?
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-09-21, 08:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

I admit that I stopped following the OP's earlier thread after it seemed like we were "talking" to a wall. Glad to hear that those plans have evolved a bunch. BTW unless you were a PIA to the shop that did the wheel building, and they were paid, they should welcome more work. Andy
Old 03-10-21, 04:57 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I admit that I stopped following the OP's earlier thread after it seemed like we were "talking" to a wall. Glad to hear that those plans have evolved a bunch. BTW unless you were a PIA to the shop that did the wheel building, and they were paid, they should welcome more work. Andy

I hope I wasn't a PitA to them--I just dropped the whole assembly off and asked them to call me when it was done.

Oh, and if you're referring to the 8-wheel monstrosity I posted a thread about, that was a joke, nothing more.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 03-10-21 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 08:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

I hope I wasn't a PitA to them--I just dropped the whole assembly off and asked them to call me when it was done.

Oh, and if you're referring to the 8-wheel monstrosity I posted a thread about, that was a joke, nothing more.

Joke? It was lost on me, what with 81 posts it looks like others were also fooled. Here's the link to the thread I'm talking about. Velo: Thus far, thus bonkers - Bike Forums Andy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.