Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do you tall guys (6'4") feel about downtube shifting?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How do you tall guys (6'4") feel about downtube shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 01:38 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have to say I prefer bar ends or STI to my old downtubers. That being said, I had a bike once that had high quality indexed downtube shifters and I actually didn't mind those. No fumbling around to get the gear right. It was my do everything bike for a couple of years.
Old 09-07-11, 02:41 PM
jbkirby

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IsleRide
The pain is minimized by the soothing medicinal properties of a finely tuned downtube friction-shifting drivetrain.
And a good taco!
Old 09-07-11, 04:53 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by formicaman
Regardless of height, any shifter placement that requires taking your hands off the bars is inferior to one that doesn't.
Yes, and steel is inferior to carbon fiber, and clips&straps are inferior to clipless, and tubulars are inferior to clinchers, and so there's no reason for C&R bicycles (and hence this subforum) to exist.

Now I'm going to go to the classic Ferrari owner's group and explain to them why they should all switch over to fuel injection.
Old 09-07-11, 05:34 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
No more worries

https://youtu.be/H53mjuBOZ3k
Old 09-07-11, 06:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by formicaman
Regardless of height, any shifter placement that requires taking your hands off the bars is inferior to one that doesn't.
Originally Posted by -holiday76
yeah, especially when you're tall
Originally Posted by Six jours
Yes, and steel is inferior to carbon fiber, and clips&straps are inferior to clipless, and tubulars are inferior to clinchers, and so there's no reason for C&R bicycles (and hence this subforum) to exist.

Now I'm going to go to the classic Ferrari owner's group and explain to them why they should all switch over to fuel injection.
He's trolling, right? Somebody tell me he's trolling, please.

Personally, I think any ride that does not end up in a bar is inferior
to one that does.
Old 09-07-11, 06:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Thank you for the link, I just picked up three at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-GMC-D...-Bike/12080282

Originally Posted by Roger M
Old 09-07-11, 06:32 PM
iluvnoise

Bikes: 2012 Singular Peregrine, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1994 Cannondale M400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy smokes. A lot of people are really opinionated about this. A noob's 2 cents:

I've only been riding road bikes a few years (blame holiday76) and in that time, I've ridden fairly extensively with friction bar-ends, brifters, and friction down tube. I really like bar ends. The brifters are okay, but kind of cranky and needed frequent cleaning and lubrication. I really like down tube, but find I shift a lot less than with bar ends.

But overall, I don't really think it makes that big of a difference once I'm actually riding. Oh, and I'm 6'2" and ride 62-64cm frames.
Old 09-07-11, 07:45 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Might be worth differentiating between DT and indexing. They aren't mutually exclusive, of course. I do shift less with friction, whether DT or bar-end. Dunno if that's a bad thing or not; it doesn't affect my enjoyment of riding. But I shift as much with DT indexing as I do with anything else. My "best quality" road bike is less than a year old and uses Dura-Ace 9 speed DT indexing - not because it's traditional, but because it offers me the best combination of advantages with the fewest disadvantages of any system, at least for my purposes. At 6' 2" on a 62 cm. frame, I truly don't understand the fuss.
Old 09-07-11, 10:07 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
i've never tried indexed dt as a rider. For me though it's not the act of shifting the lever, it's the act of reaching down to do it so I don't think it would matter much. I really want to like using them because I do like to keep things simple and clean, but I like the ride my bike a lot more than I care about how it looks and shifting from the bars is where it's at. Especially in my constant rolling hills terrain.

Old 09-07-11, 10:28 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
i've never tried indexed dt as a rider. For me though it's not the act of shifting the lever, it's the act of reaching down to do it so I don't think it would matter much. I really want to like using them because I do like to keep things simple and clean, but I like the ride my bike a lot more than I care about how it looks and shifting from the bars is where it's at. Especially in my constant rolling hills terrain.
+1
Old 09-07-11, 10:36 PM
Teon

Bikes: See my signature.....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 6'1" and the dt shifters are decent, especially when it's all I have ever known. Have been thinking about bar end shifters, and thinking about some sti stuff(but it's way too pricey, even used)......until I just saw, thanks to this thread, the suntour command shifters........ok, those things look like the perfect fix......do they work well with those that are experienced with them? They actually look quite clean, imo.

Edit: After reading some reviews and such on the suntour command stuff, I think I'll stick with researching bar end shifters some more. Bar ends sound like a more reliable/versatile/cost effective solution.......

Last edited by Teon; 09-07-11 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 05:54 AM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m only 6’2”. I started with DT shifters 40 yrs ago, but didn’t stay with them long. It was a long, awkward reach for me. I experimented with different locations until I found Campi barcons. I used them for about 25 yrs. until I got around to trying Shimano indexed barcons. I will never go back to DT shifters or non-indexed barcons.
Old 09-08-11, 07:07 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Might be worth differentiating between DT and indexing. They aren't mutually exclusive, of course. I do shift less with friction, whether DT or bar-end. Dunno if that's a bad thing or not; it doesn't affect my enjoyment of riding. But I shift as much with DT indexing as I do with anything else. My "best quality" road bike is less than a year old and uses Dura-Ace 9 speed DT indexing - not because it's traditional, but because it offers me the best combination of advantages with the fewest disadvantages of any system, at least for my purposes. At 6' 2" on a 62 cm. frame, I truly don't understand the fuss.
Weight weenie. This kinda talk belongs in the Road Cycling forum, not here.
Old 09-08-11, 08:44 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Down tube shifters look like devil horns to me. They scare me and I don't want to get possessed by Satan or one of his evil minions while riding my bike!
Old 09-08-11, 09:43 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Nonsense, fender1. C'mon, let's go for a ride. It'll be fun. I promise.

Old 09-08-11, 09:47 AM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'2" and riding my friends DT has never really affected me, it feels awkward, but that is because I'm not use to it. However, I also have an 8" ape index (meaning both of my arms are 4" longer than they are supposed to be).
Old 09-08-11, 09:50 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need that Reynolds 666 sticker.
Old 09-08-11, 10:09 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Wow has this thread strayed...

To the OP, if the only you don't care about with bar-end shifters is the ugly cables, then re-route them underneath the bar tape. I did that when I converted my Panasonic from stem shifting to bar-end shifting. That, along with my aero brake levers really cleaned up the look of my cockpit. The only place any cables are visible is where they emerge from the bar tape up by the stem, just like on a bike with brifters.
Old 09-08-11, 10:14 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Wow has this thread strayed...

To the OP, if the only you don't care about with bar-end shifters is the ugly cables, then re-route them underneath the bar tape. I did that when I converted my Panasonic from stem shifting to bar-end shifting. That, along with my aero brake levers really cleaned up the look of my cockpit. The only place any cables are visible is where they emerge from the bar tape up by the stem, just like on a bike with brifters.
I have considered this and will give it a try. I don't want to add more friction to the equation but I'm willing to test it. It would certainly be a cleaner look.
Old 09-08-11, 10:27 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronAnderson
I have considered this and will give it a try. I don't want to add more friction to the equation but I'm willing to test it. It would certainly be a cleaner look.
I haven't noticed any friction problems. However when I did my conversion my original cables and housings weren't long enough, so I wound up having to replace them with new. When I pulled out the old cables and housings they were pretty rusty, so I'm comparing my new set-up to my old rusty cables.
Old 09-08-11, 10:28 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
However, I also have an 8" ape index (meaning both of my arms are 4" longer than they are supposed to be).
Doesn't your mom know how to read a work order?

Originally Posted by AaronAnderson
I need that Reynolds 666 sticker.
+1 and that Slayer aero disc cover.
Old 09-08-11, 10:30 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I haven't noticed any friction problems. However when I did my conversion my original cables and housings weren't long enough, so I wound up having to replace them with new. When I pulled out the old cables and housings they were pretty rusty, so I'm comparing my new set-up to my old rusty cables.
I'm with ya. I really don't want to replace my rear derailleur cable.... it routes through the chainstay, so it's kind of messy to fish things through.
Old 09-08-11, 10:41 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Routing the bar end shifter housing along the bar and exiting at the stem will work fine, but it will most certainly increase friction. I changed mine back because shifting was not as good.
Old 09-08-11, 10:49 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was waiting for you to chime in. That's what I thought would happen.
Old 09-08-11, 10:51 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Yes. There's your answer. Now, stop trolling and get back to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.