Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is the allure of the Brooks saddle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is the allure of the Brooks saddle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 11:09 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With everything else on the bike, it is personal preference. I have found my Brooks saddles (B-17 and B-67) to be the most comfortable for the bikes I ride.

Some people don't find them to be very comfortable, and that's fine.
Old 09-16-11, 11:24 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I have a Brooks B67. I ride 100 miles a week, year round, and I was wearing out saddles every few years. I bought my Brooks for durability, not particularly caring about comfort - I hate having to buy things, and I wanted something that would last.

To my surprise, it has been the most comfortable saddle I have owned. I got the pre-aged version, so no need for obscure sorcery with Proofhide and stuff. Also, the honey-color one is compatible with white pants.

Paul
Old 09-16-11, 11:42 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Also, the honey-color one is compatible with white pants.

Paul
the REAL problem, though is finding white patent leather shoes that accept cleats.
Old 09-16-11, 01:33 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
It's like a ****in' Porsche for your ass, man. Like when you stop flying Delta and go with Korean Air, and you suddenly realize you're surrounded by sexy Asian women, and the hostess sees you looking but she just smiles--sure you're not getting anywhere, but she didn't wear that sheer skirt to keep men from checking out her perfect, toned-out legs. And then they bring you out some Gogi-Gui and 7-Up, and the in flight movie isn't even a rerun of Biodome, and you look around and you're like, wow man, life is perfect. But then you get off the plane in Europe, and you take a tour all over the god damn continent, and you find out that it's far superior to drive there than in the US, and at the same time far superior for cycling, and even for walking! And you look back, and you wonder what your life was like, and you immediately move your entire family to Europe--somewhere near East Europe, so you can bike a century and get a peek at some of those Asian girls once in a while--and swear you're never coming back.

That's what it's like.
+1,000.

I could write about mine (kinda mixed so far, actually), but I gotta go back to work. Maybe later.
Old 09-16-11, 02:01 PM
interested

Bikes: Kinesisbikes UK Racelight Tk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
I see a lot of comments here abou the Brooks B17 saddle and I'm just curious what the allure is. I'm sure that once broken in it's apparently comfortable, but many saddles are comfortable if you get the one that "fits" you. The B17, as far as I can tell, is a one size fits all approach and if your will is greater that its you will eventually make it fit. Is it worth it? Isn't it also a heavy saddle? Is it the old school look of the saddle people like, which often looks very out of place on a high tech, modern road bike. Granted, it will look more at home on a lugged steel touring or commuting bike than a carbon racer but even then it can still seem oddly out of place.

Anyway, I ask as I'm in the process of pricing out and seeking components for my own build and am starting to wonder if I should be drinking this Kool-aid as well. thanks.
It is expensive and tedious to search for a good saddle, so when I tried a Brooks B-17 and discovered how well it suited me, I stopped looking. I am sure that somewhere there is a lightweight saddle that fits me just as fine, but I can't be bothered to spend the money or endure the pain to find it.

But there is more to a saddle than a good fit: One thing I really like about my Brooks B-17 saddles are the fact that I in all likelihood can buy the exact same B-17 model ten years from now. For marketing reasons saddle makers replace their models with regular intervals, and historically that have often meant that the new saddle versions differed so much that it didn't fit many who liked its predecessor. (Turbomatic series comes to mind), or the model is simply scrapped. In both cases one has to start an entire new search for a replacement saddle, or really stock up of the model you like before it is too late.

Several years ago at while I was at my LBS, a Euro Pro rider from Team CSC came into the shop with a huge bag of sponsor saddles; it turned out that that years new saddle models didn't suit him at all, so he wanted to exchange them for old models. My LBS happily obliged since they had the old model in stock. He was lucky that there still was old stock to be had.

I also find that my Brook B-17 saddles are cheap over the long run, since they are so durable: My Selle Italia Turbomatic and my San Marco Rolls saddle didn't last that long: When the foam gets too compressed the saddle is done for. A thin "leather" cover also gets worn to pieces at some point. I also like that they have no chafing stitches or painted on logos that gets worn and looks ugly after a while.

Here in the EU, a Brooks B-17 is also priced competitively compared to many entry level brand name saddles from Fizik, Selle Italia etc. All in all the B-17 is good value, long lasting, very comfortable, good looking even when used a lot, and the model has been in production a long time, and probably will be in the future too.

There are also things I don't like with my Brooks B-17's; they start to creak sometimes, their rails are very short, so I need seat posts with lots of setback to sit correctly. You can destroy one by riding in heavy downpour for many hours (the water, pressure and heat can cause it to become an "ass hatchet" as Jobst Brandt so poetically described it.), they stained my khaki shorts (a new black B-17, I don't know if it is something they stop doing when used), they are somewhat heavy.

OTHO, I never had any problems with "breaking it in" They fitted me from the start, and only improved by use.

--
Regards
Old 09-16-11, 05:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If I was doing a long distance tour ,then I would consider Brooks saddle.. but for everyday commuting ? No way. I have been using WTB Speed V and I like it for up to 100 miles rides. Bike thieves /crackheads love Brooks saddles...I hope all you people that have Brooks saddles secure them really well.
Old 09-16-11, 05:31 PM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If I was doing a long distance tour ,then I would consider Brooks saddle.. but for everyday commuting ? No way. I have been using WTB Speed V and I like it for up to 100 miles rides. Bike thieves /crackheads love Brooks saddles...I hope all you people that have Brooks saddles secure them really well.
That's a good point. I commute on a Brooks but I get to keep my bike inside...
Old 09-16-11, 06:44 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I can do my 32mi r/t commute on my rigid 29er/CX race bike with 37mm knobbies and a Selle Italia Diva gel flow saddle that's on there because flying remounts hurt my butt on a Brooks. But I definitely felt sore all over after riding it on a 50 mile charity ride because that not what I built it for.
Meanwhile I can spend 250 miles on my B17 and not come away any worse for wear because I set my brevet bike up for all-day comfort, not for 45 minutes of pain cave mud sprints.
My commute has zero pain cave mud sprints.

Does your brevet bike set up for all-day comfort have the contact points (bars, saddle, pedals) in a very different position?
Old 09-16-11, 07:08 PM
lverhagen

Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by interested
It is expensive and tedious to search for a good saddle, so when I tried a Brooks B-17 and discovered how well it suited me, I stopped looking. I am sure that somewhere there is a lightweight saddle that fits me just as fine, but I can't be bothered to spend the money or endure the pain to find it.
This.
Old 09-16-11, 07:17 PM
Denelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, it's a combination of comfort, quality, and style. I have an OLD B72 on my Trek and a brand spanking new B67 on my Breezer. The Breezer got a new Brooks before it even left the shop. I find them incredibly comfy to ride on and couldn't imagine riding without it.
Old 09-16-11, 07:22 PM
catmandew52

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Six saddles, same bike, OW, OW, OW, OW, Almoooost, Brooks=aaaaahh.

Last edited by catmandew52; 09-16-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-17-11, 07:46 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I have a Brooks B68 on one bike, and a bunch of plastic saddles on my other bikes. Whenever I'll be doing a very long ride, I invariably choose the bike with the Brooks. I can do 80 miles on a Brooks, and be none the worse for wear. I can't say that for any of my other saddles. My best plastic and foam saddle is barely comfortable enough for my 30-mile round trip commute. When that saddle wears out, it'll be replaced with a Brooks.

Durability is also a big selling point of the Brooks. When you buy a foam stuffed saddle, it's the best it's ever going to feel. It's all downhill from there, as the foam breaks down. My Brooks started off feeling very good, and it's only gotten better with use. Years from now, my Brooks will be even more comfortable.

A Brooks is more comfortable and a better value in the long run. It's kind of a no-brainer for people who do a lot of bike riding.

Old 09-17-11, 07:57 PM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's something to be said about friction, too. You'll get sores and blisters if you are rubbing "things" together constantly... with a leather saddle, it is smooth and slippery so your shorts are free to move around, no more abrasion on your skin.
Old 09-17-11, 08:00 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronAnderson
There's something to be said about friction, too. You'll get sores and blisters if you are rubbing "things" together constantly... with a leather saddle, it is smooth and slippery so your shorts are free to move around, no more abrasion on your skin.
True. No butt pimples when I ride on my Brooks. And I can wear pretty much anything I want. No cycling specific shorts required for anything but long distance rides.

It took a few days to get used to riding on a slippery seat, but once I became willing to ride with the nose up a tad, everything kind of came together.
Old 09-17-11, 08:03 PM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
with the nose up a tad
Yup. This is important on a brooks. Make sure the part where your sit bones actually are, are level with the ground... It's a few degrees of "nose up"
Old 09-20-11, 09:49 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I found a few conventional saddles that I was very happy with (racing), but could not ride them more than a few miles without chamois.

I've done 60 milers on my Brooks B-17N and Swift in complete comfort in mid-thigh running shorts with no chamois.

YMMV.
Old 09-20-11, 10:07 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
There's something about a leather saddle that it gives just the right amount of hardness for comfortable riding. A softer saddle cuts off circulation over a larger part of the body, which leads to discomfort. A harder saddle localizes the pressure too much, creating discomfort at two spots.

Aside from that, leather breathes. I think that's more important than the hardness issue. Since the leather breathes, it keeps you relatively cool and not particularly sweaty.

But the biggest payoff is on long rides. I can ride a few miles on any saddle, and it really doesn't matter much. For fifty or a hundred miles, leather is much better.
Old 09-20-11, 10:42 AM
Onions
Insane Member

Bikes: Huffy Grand Prairie 15sp MTB (don't hate!), 1980 Schwinn World Tourist, 1976 Schwinn Traveler, 1974 Romic Custom (project bike!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really didn't believe the hype about leather saddles, but my friend gave me an old Brooks Professional, and after breaking the nose on a cheapo plastic saddle (ow my ass), I went ahead and put it on, after some reconditioning, since it was paid for. Wow what a difference. Now I'm trying to figure out how to afford to put a B66 on my touring bike. They really add smoothness without absorbing too much momentum.
Old 09-20-11, 11:25 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I love my brooks swift. It is very comfortable and looks great on my bike. I don't think they are the be all, end all saddle for everyone. I think they are best for a more upright position which is where you really should be on a really long ride. I find when I'm in the drops, it can be a bit hard on the middle soft tissue. I've adjusted the angle. Nose up too much and its uncomfortable in the drops, nose down too much and you're sliding forward. The anatomica and other saddles with more of a "relief channel" might be better suited from some uses, but its hard to go really wrong with a Brooks for most use.
Old 09-26-11, 01:25 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Oddly, it was a WTB Speed V I couldn't *wait* to get off my hybridized MTB and get a proper B-17 on it. They fit me (after careful adjustments) perfectly from the get go. When I recently got my Brompton ML6 folder, I wanted to try their well thought of seat with the built in underseat handle for transport. Miserable saddle for me (though lots of Brommies seem to like them fine. I installed a new B-17 and it was good to go out of the box.

These plastic framed, gel-padded, vinyl covered saddles are a joke. You can get a Brooks in whatever configuration you need. Added bonus, no silly pants or cream slathered around your bum. You can ride in well fitted undies and shorts. Get your fedora on and you can go total hipster doofus.
Old 01-09-12, 06:43 PM
olly708

Bikes: ALAN alloy, Argos Reynolds 753, Tony Oliver Custom Reynolds/Columbus tourer, Raleigh Richmond (Reynolds 531), Raleigh Hustler all-steel roadster Raleigh Road Ace (531c)Raleigh Vitesse Carlton Corsair (531)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put a brand new honey Brooks Professional on a bike at the start of a year long bicycle tour. Some comedian at Brooks had stamped "Pre-softened" into the leather. What a joker - the thing was like iron. For two weeks it was as painful as a painful thing. Riding down the west coast of the S. Island of New Zealand I came across a bushman's store that sold lots of furry items made from possum skin - including a possum skin bicycle seat cover. Before anyone gets all sniffy about wildlife conservation - I should add that possums in NZ are a real menace and are widely considered a real environmental pest. They have no natural predators and breed worse than rabbits, chomping their way through thousands of tons of forest every night. The government pays people to control them. So, I bought a two inch thick possum skin seat cover and used it for the next few weeks. On occasion I would ride into a town, stop outside a cafe where there were attractive young ladies eating, get off my bike and say "Sshhh" and then point at the saddle and whisper "he's sleeping". Great icebreaker and always got a laugh.

The dead possum was a wonderful cushion and within a few hundred miles the Brooks was as comfortable as an old sofa. Now that it's properly softened up I wouldn't trade it for the world and it will easily outlast me. I wax the top surface with tan boot polish and feed the underside with boiled linseed oil from time to time. Very few products in this world are still made in exactly the same way as they were 100 years ago. Persevere with a Brooks and you'll never want another saddle.
Old 01-09-12, 06:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by olly708
I put a brand new honey Brooks Professional on a bike at the start of a year long bicycle tour. Some comedian at Brooks had stamped "Pre-softened" into the leather. What a joker - the thing was like iron. For two weeks it was as painful as a painful thing. Riding down the west coast of the S. Island of New Zealand I came across a bushman's store that sold lots of furry items made from possum skin - including a possum skin bicycle seat cover. Before anyone gets all sniffy about wildlife conservation - I should add that possums in NZ are a real menace and are widely considered a real environmental pest. They have no natural predators and breed worse than rabbits, chomping their way through thousands of tons of forest every night. The government pays people to control them. So, I bought a two inch thick possum skin seat cover and used it for the next few weeks. On occasion I would ride into a town, stop outside a cafe where there were attractive young ladies eating, get off my bike and say "Sshhh" and then point at the saddle and whisper "he's sleeping". Great icebreaker and always got a laugh.

The dead possum was a wonderful cushion and within a few hundred miles the Brooks was as comfortable as an old sofa. Now that it's properly softened up I wouldn't trade it for the world and it will easily outlast me. I wax the top surface with tan boot polish and feed the underside with boiled linseed oil from time to time. Very few products in this world are still made in exactly the same way as they were 100 years ago. Persevere with a Brooks and you'll never want another saddle.
Good Post..Thanks

Old 01-09-12, 07:20 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leather saddles provide you with crank points that you can exchange for hipster points at a local privately owned coffee shop.... lol
Old 01-09-12, 07:32 PM
recumbenttoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally started riding Brooks saddles about 2 1/2 years ago and they were comfortable right away. And, since I am a cyclist without porn star proportions, I have never had a problem with the numbing of the nether regions.
Old 01-09-12, 07:44 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Both of my 79 Raleigh Competition GS sport Brooks.. and IMO, they are super cool
No, I don't ride with the seat that high. I was in adjusting mode when I took these pics..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.