Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good rust removers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Good rust removers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 04:00 PM
davidz32z

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good rust removers?

I've just started getting into restoring old bikes and the biggest problem is rust and grime. I bought a rust remover, but it requires overnight soaking which is tough for bikes. Anybody have any advice outside of my current method of scrubbing a lot?
Old 06-03-17, 04:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
For rust on chrome, spray white vinegar on and rub with aluminum foil. For rust on painted parts, brush off as much loose rust and grime as you can, then rub with a vinegar-soaked cloth. Follow up with wax or a coating of light oil. Some automotive waxes include a bit of rubbing compound, which will help remove the top, oxidized layer of paint, but take care not to get carried away rubbing or you may rub all the way through the paint.
Old 06-03-17, 05:20 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Why is overnight soaking tough? Are you looking for something that'll work on spots of rust without disassembly?

I use oxalic acid and Evapo-Rust, both of which work great with zero elbow grease. Both require soaking.
Old 06-03-17, 05:21 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If cost is no problem, get a can (bottle, really) of Evaporust. It is hands down, the easiest to use product. For an irregularly shaped object like a bicycle, which is difficult to submerge, you can soak paper towels, wrap them around the problem areas, and bag it overnight. Especially with restorations, it is prudent to disassemble the bike, to get a handle on the actual condition of the part, so bagging even a frame is not as onerous as it sounds.

More immediate results can be had using a product such as Naval Jelly (Henkel/Loctite), but this is less gentle on paint, and is not meant for use on chrome (though many vintage parts that are heavily rusted, are already beyond saving the chrome).

Check out the classic and vintage section for more information, as it is a common topic there.
Old 06-03-17, 05:24 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I ran a bicycle recycling program for teenagers for seven years. We had no money for supplies, but a local supermarket kept donating cases of generic cola to us.

One day I read that cola is a great rust remover, so we started using ours for that purpose. It worked great, especially on raw metal parts like handlebars, rims, and seat posts.

Just be sure to rinse it off when you're done or you'll have a sticky mess and probably a garage full of ants!
Old 06-03-17, 06:13 PM
davidz32z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Why is overnight soaking tough? Are you looking for something that'll work on spots of rust without disassembly?

I use oxalic acid and Evapo-Rust, both of which work great with zero elbow grease. Both require soaking.
I didn't really know how to soak a frame, but wrapping it in a soaked paper towels is a good idea
Old 06-03-17, 06:14 PM
davidz32z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Old 06-03-17, 06:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rust is the steel base metal coming thru and combining with O2. that you also breathe..

it will come back , you have to do the abover reduction things forever or it will do it again.

its more abatement than removal, ... visually not obvious ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-03-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 08:58 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Rust is the steel base metal coming thru and combining with O2. that you also breathe..

it will come back , you have to do the above reduction things forever or it will do it again.
Once the rust is removed, the task is to keep the exposed ferrous metal dry. Oxidation (rust) is significantly accelerated by the presence of water (and salt!). Wax, clear lacquer, etc. can help prevent the rust coming back.
Steve
Old 08-05-21, 06:21 PM
ConnoisseurEqua

Bikes: Raleigh, Hercules

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
One day I read that cola is a great rust remover, so we started using ours for that purpose. It worked great, especially on raw metal parts like handlebars, rims, and seat posts.
How long does one need to leave the coke on the metal?
And how do you apply it?
I have many brass brush heads. Could they be use with a Dremel?
Thanks
Old 08-06-21, 01:32 PM
Papa Tom

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ConnoisseurEqua
How long does one need to leave the coke on the metal?
And how do you apply it?
I have many brass brush heads. Could they be use with a Dremel?
Thanks
We applied it with a rag and let it sit for about an hour. Then we wiped it off with crumbled aluminum foil (which didn't do as good a job without the Coke, by the way).

For really tough rust patches, we used brass and steel brush heads attached to a drill, though not a Dremel. That technique, as explained above, will remove the rust temporarily, but also removes some of the protective coating as well. Ours were children's bikes that were usually only used for a short time, so by the time the rust reappeared, the bike was back in our shop being recycled for the NEXT kid.