Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What tool to use for cutting cable housings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What tool to use for cutting cable housings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 09:04 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Damn you folks tend to overthink pretty much everything. 'Twistwelding'? Please. Dremel? Overkill.
A Dremel isn't overkill if you already own one. It saves having to buy a CN-10 or something similar.
Old 01-05-22, 11:05 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Park Tool CN-10. I would have bought the well-reviewed Pedro analog to save a few dollars, but it was out of stock when my RD cable snapped.
I've been using a Pedro's version for many years because that's what was available locally the day I needed it. It works fine. I have no idea if others would work better though.
Old 01-06-22, 08:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I've been using a Pedro's version for many years because that's what was available locally the day I needed it. It works fine. I have no idea if others would work better though.
Same here, the Pedro's just works.

Although on a cold, rainy day like this, I could spend a few minutes gazing at a Felco's cutter if I had one, just because.
Old 01-07-22, 08:56 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Felco C7
+100, you will not regret buying the best.
Old 01-07-22, 09:10 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I hear people talking about soldering the ends or in this case welding them, but why go through all that when all you need is a cable end cap that costs virtually nothing, and a pair of needle-nose pliers?
But think of all the weight you're saving!
Old 01-07-22, 09:49 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I hear people talking about soldering the ends or in this case welding them, but why go through all that when all you need is a cable end cap that costs virtually nothing, and a pair of needle-nose pliers? It takes much less time (about two seconds), it gives the cable a more finished look, and the cable end won't poke you when you're cleaning the bike. It seems like welding cable ends is the proverbial "Ten dollar solution to a one dollar problem." But that's just me.
You are correct, we each have a right to our personal preferences. Next to my maintenance stand hangs a flex shaft Dremel and I get perfect square cuts in brake housings in seconds. About three feet away is my Lincoln wire feed that I have to throw the switch and touch the cable with the gun resulting in a perfect finish that never frays and takes as much time as getting a cutter from the tool drawer.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-07-22, 05:11 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
The problem with tools like the Park CN-10 is when used on brake cable housing is they crush the spiral wound metal housing.
That's what I use my leftover cable for! The CN-10 is sharp enough to cut through a housing with a cable in it. Before cutting the housing, feed a strand of scrap cable through it, just past the point you want to cut. Then use the CN-10 to cut through it. The cable will keep the braided housing from collapsing on itself.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 01-07-22, 05:21 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
That's what I use my leftover cable for! The CN-10 is sharp enough to cut through a housing with a cable in it. Before cutting the housing, feed a strand of scrap cable through it, just past the point you want to cut. Then use the CN-10 to cut through it. The cable will keep the braided housing from collapsing on itself.
that thought occurred to me also, its nice to know that will work. On the park description of the tool it says it makes perfect cuts with no collapsing. I will test it and report back to this thread my findings. Then I will decide to keep it or send it back.
Old 01-07-22, 11:57 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
.... Also need the ferules for the housing ends but not the cable end caps because Im going to use the twist welding method.
The housing end caps are available. For example, these are for brake (5mm) housing: https://cambriabike.com/products/jag...16457543090250
Old 01-08-22, 10:23 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by MudPie
The housing end caps are available. For example, these are for brake (5mm) housing: https://cambriabike.com/products/jag...16457543090250
Thats a nice link Mud. Thanks for that. They have everything there!
Old 01-08-22, 11:30 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Dremel tool. Use scrap cable inside the housing. Dip the cut ends in JB Weld.
Old 01-08-22, 02:15 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by cranky old road
Dremel tool. Use scrap cable inside the housing. Dip the cut ends in JB Weld.
JB weld. Thats a good idea.

1. crimp a cap on the wire pros: fast, cheap, easy. looks finished cons: have to cut it off if you want to remove the cable from the caliper and or housing, have to leave a long tail if you want to work on the brakes without cutting the cap off and having to put a new one on. sometimes caps fall off. not a big deal for most people.

2. twist weld pros: permanently fused, can be removed from the caliper for servicing or wheel removal. better appearance since not tail is needed for future adjustments or service. cons: looks unfinished to some without a cap, need torch, variable speed drill, some skill, potentially dangerous open flame, explosive gas.

3. wire weld pros: permanent, fast, cons: grinding the tip likely if you want it to be removeable. questionable appearance without additional work. need a mig welder and shielding gas and skill

4. jb weld pros: same as twist weld without the risks. cons: requires a trip to the store to buy jb weld and time and mess to mix it up.

Did I forget anything?
Old 01-08-22, 02:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Whenever these cable/housing cutter threads come up, I'm always tempted to move from my DeWalt side cutters, especially for housings.

I've not been a big fan of the Park, Pedros, SRAM, Shimano tools that are generally cheaper copies of non-bike tools; i.e. Felco C7.

My understanding is that Felco has been pretty much the standard over the years, but I decided to go with Knipex 95-61-190.

They are made in Germany, have a built in crimping tool, and a little less money.

John
Old 01-08-22, 03:26 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1. And twist welding to keep cable ends from fraying. You could even get away without cable cutters as Twist Welding does the cutting but the cutters are nice to have. Twist Welding Cable (How To) - YouTube
Hey Cranky I was wondering if this twist welding method will work on stainless steel and galvanized. Im looking for the Schwinn huret shifter cables and I would like to get them in stainless or whatever is best. I found some in galvanized from jagwire but I understand the stainless is the best. Would this work on galv and stainless?
Old 01-08-22, 03:32 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by MudPie
I cant find the 4mm ones for shifter cable. Do you know?
Old 01-08-22, 04:03 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Hey Cranky I was wondering if this twist welding method will work on stainless steel and galvanized. Im looking for the Schwinn huret shifter cables and I would like to get them in stainless or whatever is best. I found some in galvanized from jagwire but I understand the stainless is the best. Would this work on galv and stainless?
Yes, works on Stainless very well and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on galvanized but have never tried it myself. Try it on an excess piece of cable to be sure. A few tips. You can install the cable and clamp it to the derailleur and avoid using a vice or pliers. You'll know where to cut it without having to measure anything.and obviously watch where you aim the flame and make sure the drill is twisting in the right direction, I never used paint on the finished cable end like the video shows as it's not necessary really, Quick and easy.
Old 01-08-22, 06:49 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I cant find the 4mm ones for shifter cable. Do you know?
Try here: https://wheelsmfg.com/products/cable...-ferrules.html
Old 01-08-22, 07:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Dremel cutting seems to offer the best result but I use a Park cable cutter. To get a cleaner cut I stuff a thick copper wire (10ga ?) into the housing before cutting...
Old 01-08-22, 08:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Good find. Are the housing ferrules reusable (for next time when I buy only the inner cables instead of the entire road shift cable set)?
Old 01-08-22, 09:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Good find. Are the housing ferrules reusable (for next time when I buy only the inner cables instead of the entire road shift cable set)?
Why would you only replace the cables and not the housing too?
Old 01-08-22, 10:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Why would you only replace the cables and not the housing too?
Because (from what I have read) housing does not wear out as quickly as cables fray?

But you are right, I might as well (buy the whole set and) replace both cable and housing (and bar tape) at the same time.
Old 01-08-22, 11:24 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can also use a Dremel with cutting wheel for housing. You may have to punch out the melted stuff with something pointy.
This!
JD
Old 01-09-22, 09:21 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
You can actually get a kit of precut cables for a 72 Schwinn Continental? Impressive!
Tim
Old 01-09-22, 10:06 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Because (from what I have read) housing does not wear out as quickly as cables fray?

But you are right, I might as well (buy the whole set and) replace both cable and housing (and bar tape) at the same time.
The liner in the housing is plastic, the cable is stainless steel. You tell me which will wear first. If it takes 2000miles for the shifter cable to fray inside the shifter the housing is worn.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-09-22, 11:56 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m not certain a housing liner wears all that quickly that it needs to be replaced when a cable is replaced because it is plastic.

There are plastic interfaces on a bike such as a linear brake noodle liner or the BB shell plastic cable guide that seem to last many years.

Housings do get old and gummed up, and I imagine some wear that impacts shifting performance, so replacing housings is important. And with additional cogs, it is probably more critical.

It will be interesting if the newer slick cables help with housing life.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.