Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How to repair chipped up paint spots?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 05:25 PM
Friedrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I went out for a quick ride downhill and I noticed some cracks and chipped paint spots on my frame. Is there any way to repair them? My main concern is that rust is going to build up over time since it is a aluminum frame.
Old 08-05-23, 06:04 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Aluminum will not rust. If you expose the bare metal chips to winter road salt, you will get some corrosion. You just need to coat the metal chip spots with some decent enamel. You can use something like model enamel, which will be easier to match the color, or nail polish, either will do. You can also get automotive paint chip repair vials from a parts store, which may be the best, longest lasting solution. Also, check the manufacturer of your bike itself and see if they offer a vial of paint to repair chips, then you won't have to worry about doing any custom matching since you'll have the original color.
Old 08-06-23, 09:53 PM
brave17

Bikes: Trek Marlin 7 (MTB), Lapierre Sensium 3.0 (Road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Friedrich
Hi, I went out for a quick ride downhill and I noticed some cracks and chipped paint spots on my frame. Is there any way to repair them? My main concern is that rust is going to build up over time since it is a aluminum frame.
Nail polish is the way to go in my experience. Cheap and fast.
Likes For brave17: