Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

tall framr low saddle / short frame high saddle

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 02:47 PM
hoosiercheetah

Bikes: 77 Schwinn Varsity - Red :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

General fitting hypothetical question - If we assume all other dimensions to remain constant, what's the difference between having a shorter seat tube with more seat post sticking out of it, and a taller seat tube with less post sticking out of it? Again, assuming that the top tube length doesn't change, and the butt-to-pedal distance and saddle set back and everything else stays the same.

Also, please excuse the typo in the title. I was in a bit of a rush. ;-)
Old 07-14-16, 08:55 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Head tube length won't change either so handlebar height relative to seat height increases if seat post extension increases. Fine if you want that. Otherwise... long seat posts are easy to find. Long steerer tubes less so.
Old 07-14-16, 09:57 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Frame would be lighter on smaller frame.
But, top tube length WILL change.
I personally don't like the trend toward smaller frames.
I still size by 'handfull of seat post'
Old 07-14-16, 06:27 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have bought a few English three speed bikes to play with. The 23 inch frame has the same TT length as the 21 inch frame (actually it measure .25 inches shorter). The only difference in these when I adjust my saddle height to BB at my typical 76 cm approximate (109% of my barefoot inseam, cycling inseam), the 23 inch frame has a higher handle bar and the 21 inch frame has a lower handle bar. I prefer the 21 inch fit because of the lower handle bar, just more comfortable, efficient and balanced. The top tub of course is higher on the 23, and for rough ground dismount IMO too high, only about an inch stand over.

I prefer bicycles to the smaller side of my fit range and enjoy my bar top on a drop bar bike around 2 to 3 inches below the saddle. In no case would I want the bar tops equal to or higher than the saddle. I come from a performance background, not a comfort background, so I am accustomed to some saddle to bar drop and prefer it both for efficiency and balance as well as general comfort.

These goofy modern bikes with the very sloped top tubes, you are going to have a lot of seat post out for any reasonable top tube length.