Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTT: (My) Green B-17 for (Your) Black B-17

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 12:36 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts

I've got a green B-17 Champion Special that I've never found the right project for, but I tried it on my Grand Record instead of the usual Pro, and liked it quite a bit. Finally I see why everyone loves the B-17! But the green color is not right for my black-and-red Motobecane so I want a similar black saddle.

This saddle is not the apple-green color Brooks offers now, at least I don't think so. It's a paler, greyer green. I got it from a guy who'd bought it new, and he said it had been a limited edition...this would probably have been 5 or so years ago. It's marked 'B-17 Champion Special' so has the skived edges and big copper rivets, but not copper rails.

I used to have a bunch of photo albums here at BF but all the photos have disappeared from them, and I can't seem to add any new ones. So if interested, message me with contact info and I can send you photos.

Thanks!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-30-17, 12:58 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,788 Posts
Is it like this one?

Pic stolen from internet
Old 09-30-17, 01:45 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

I think the one in Bill's picture ^ is British Racing Green, a 'Special Edition' that's currently or recently available.

The other green you can get a B-17 in now is Apple Green, a very bright and saturated color.

There is an Olive Green version of the Team Pro available now, and my B-17 looks a lot more like that, subdued, almost a grey-green. Also of course some wear and aging have faded and mottled this one...it may not be the most stable of colors, as 'fugitive green' is a well known phenomenon of dyes. Kind of makes sense that they would have made a few B-17 Specials in that color as a Special Edition, though I don't see any trace of that online.

I like the color quite a bit, but it wants just the right color bike to put on and I don't have one or imagine it coming into my life anytime soon.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 09-30-17 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 07:50 AM
Chicago Al 

Had the green B17 on my bike for a ride yesterday and my wife admired the color, said if it's a rare color I should keep it. She's right!

So NVM!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 10-02-17, 08:28 AM
Flog00

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
If you decide you would like brown, I have a brown one I'd trade.