Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Vintage S Works Crankset?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 03:14 PM
praise dakinis

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Raleigh Sports, Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Hey, does anyone know about ca. 1990s S-Works components? I’m thinking to pick up an old crankset for my 26” rebuild and wondering where these were made, of what, put on which bike(s), etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding quality.
Old 05-31-23, 05:42 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
What part of the 90s are you meaning? Early 90s S-Works were spec'd with Suntour XC Pro or XTR, so you have to choose, maybe based upon what the rest of your build is.
The S Works strongarm cranks were made by Sugino. Early batches needed to be recalled because they developed cracks in the spider and I saw one crack at the pedal threads. The shop I worked for in Albuquerque replaced a LOT of these with Specialized's older ST5 cranks which were really nice. One thing to think of how "correct" do you want your build to be? If you're ok with straying a little, just get a set of XT, XTR or XC Pro cranks, but be mindful of what kind of rings they take. The Strongarm are compact drive and 94/58 BCD rings are getting harder to find. Granny rings for 94/56 (Suntour's compact drive standard) are really quite rare these days. If you go with a pair of ST5 compact drive, they are 94/56. If you want to make your life easier, find a really nice set of XTR or XT with a 110/74 bolt circle, plenty of rings still in production.

Last edited by PhilFo; 05-31-23 at 05:47 AM.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 07-17-23, 09:20 PM
praise dakinis

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Raleigh Sports, Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo;[url=tel:22907855
22907855]What part of the 90s are you meaning? Early 90s S-Works were spec'd with Suntour XC Pro or XTR, so you have to choose, maybe based upon what the rest of your build is.
The S Works strongarm cranks were made by Sugino. Early batches needed to be recalled because they developed cracks in the spider and I saw one crack at the pedal threads. The shop I worked for in Albuquerque replaced a LOT of these with Specialized's older ST5 cranks which were really nice. One thing to think of how "correct" do you want your build to be? If you're ok with straying a little, just get a set of XT, XTR or XC Pro cranks, but be mindful of what kind of rings they take. The Strongarm are compact drive and 94/58 BCD rings are getting harder to find. Granny rings for 94/56 (Suntour's compact drive standard) are really quite rare these days. If you go with a pair of ST5 compact drive, they are 94/56. If you want to make your life easier, find a really nice set of XTR or XT with a 110/74 bolt circle, plenty of rings still in production.
Not entirely sure what I’ve got on my hands here but looks to be Japanese-made and 94 bcd. Are these the cracky ones? (Nothing about strongarm on it…) Not needing it to be too “correct,” just nice to ride & nice to behold. Silver is the aesthetic here, and I’ll be running it 1x or ss (the Surly ring came with the crank). Does this seem like a decent one or should I cut my losses & seek out another?

Old 07-18-23, 03:17 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
I've seen Specialized (strong arm) cranks that look like that, but not with the S-Works label. Looks like these were marked as ST6, maybe an update from the ST5?
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-18-23, 04:46 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
If that crank hasn't cracked by now, it's not going to crack due to the original problem!
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 07-18-23, 04:55 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 253 Posts
My 1994 SWorks M2 came with Shimano XT 3x crank 175mm. I removed it when I upgraded to a 165mm crank.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 07-19-23, 06:19 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
My 1994 SWorks M2 came with Shimano XT 3x crank 175mm. I removed it when I upgraded to a 165mm crank.
It's also looking for a new home.