Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New Bike Brakes Squeaking

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 03:17 PM
Vixiled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a new bike from a bike shop. When I went biking earlier, the brakes started squeaking and squealing. Am I supposed to wear in the bike brakes?
Old 07-27-23, 04:50 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Take it back to the shop and have the brakes adjusted.
Old 07-27-23, 06:09 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Maybe they aren't adjusted correctly, perhaps contaminated...could be a lot of things which might be reduced if you told us what kind of brakes are on the bike.
Are they rim brakes, disk brakes???
More info leads to better suggestions...
Take it back to the shop and tell them...brakes shouldn't squeal like your killing a pig...
Old 07-27-23, 08:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Take it back to the shop and have them take a look. With disc brakes you do need to bed them in before you really start riding (I think at least) so that you may need to do. However as others have said it might also be some contamination or some adjustments needed however nobody knows what bike you have and what brakes you have. However this being the mountain biking thread and it being a new bike and this being 2023 it is rare to see an actual mountain bike with rim brakes that is really non-existent anymore hybrids and road bikes and stuff sure but mountain bikes are pretty much exclusively disc though there are still some bikes marketed as mountain bikes that are really just super cheaply spec'd low end hybrids with wider tires.