Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Amazon no-brand offering: can it be converted to single speed?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 03:38 PM
primuspaul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

amazon.com/Mountain-21-Speed-Suspension-High-Carbon-HM-Orange/dp/B0BWMVG5CB

Has all the stuff I want except for single speed (to avoid derailleur-related reliability problems):
  1. Dual suspension
  2. Dual disc brakes, with room for upgrading to hydraulic brakes
  3. Mag wheels (no need to true them)
Is converting the two cassettes to single speed difficult/expensive? Is it possible to find compatible parts online inexpensively?

Overall is this bike totally awful, or is it usable with the modifications I mentioned?
Old 08-17-23, 08:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
No it is junk. Like total absolute junk beyond junk. The more stuff you put on a bike the more it has to cost or the lower the quality and in this case quality hasn't even accidentally gone within 2 miles of where that thing was made.

If they offered to send me an entire pallet of these and give me a $1000 to take them I would refuse.

Go to your local bike shop and find a bike or see if you can get some help looking at used older 90s hardtail, those could make a decent single speed that would be acres better than whatever that thing is.

Mag wheels are garbage unless they are super high quality well built but in the end they are generally still not a great idea. There is a reason why 99% of bikes out there have spokes and not because big spoke has kept mag wheels out of the picture it is because they are heavy slow and really hard to make a properly true wheel and if it is out of true you are out of luck and just have to buy a new one.

Just a single low end fork or similar quality rear shock will be around the price of that full bike and I generally wouldn't recommend either.

Disc brakes are fine but honestly I would rather have decent quality linear pull brakes than those and a cheap set of Tektro brakes is probably going to be worth more than that bike is and the bike cost way more new.

I hate to be such a downer but this one is beyond bad. Please don't waste your money.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-17-23, 09:54 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Just so we all know what you're talking about...$129 + $100 shipping?..........Personally, I'd search local craigslist/FB marketplace ads for a fixie/single speed or an inexpensive bike to convert. There are sprocket kits or a flip flop rear hub laced to an original rim. If set on mag style rims, an inexpensive set off amazon could get you "the look".

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Bicycl...35&sr=8-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/100mmx135mm-F...zcF9tdGY&psc=1

I built a cheap fixie/single speed a few years back with parts sourced off amazon and ebay. I sold it and at least doubled my money.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-18-23, 10:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Normally you can't turn a FS bike into a single speed unless the bottom bracket and crank are coaxial because the chain tension will change as the suspension is activated. Might work on this bike because the rear suspension probably doesn't work.
Old 08-18-23, 10:56 AM
primuspaul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Normally you can't turn a FS bike into a single speed unless the bottom bracket and crank are coaxial because the chain tension will change as the suspension is activated. Might work on this bike because the rear suspension probably doesn't work.
yes I heard about needing to install a tensioner as well when dealing with fs, even for single speed. Perhaps I should look into hardtail
aliexpress.us/item/3256805517909614.html

Last edited by primuspaul; 08-18-23 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-19-23, 08:11 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
From the links you've posted. I presume you are looking for a folding bike?
Old 08-19-23, 08:45 AM
primuspaul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
From the links you've posted. I presume you are looking for a folding bike?
preferably yes.
Old 08-22-23, 04:06 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by primuspaul
amazon.com/Mountain-21-Speed-Suspension-High-Carbon-HM-Orange/dp/B0BWMVG5CB

Has all the stuff I want except for single speed (to avoid derailleur-related reliability problems):
  1. Dual suspension
  2. Dual disc brakes, with room for upgrading to hydraulic brakes
  3. Mag wheels (no need to true them)
Is converting the two cassettes to single speed difficult/expensive? Is it possible to find compatible parts online inexpensively?

Overall is this bike totally awful, or is it usable with the modifications I mentioned?
Can you convert it to single speed? Yes

If you use this on anything but gravel and level paths, this bike will try to kill you.
Old 08-22-23, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I think you are looking at the wrong bikes entirely stop looking at Amazon, Alibaba and his 40 thieves and other similar sites go to a bike shop preferably one that specializes in what you are looking for in folding bikes (because I am presuming you are on planes, trains, boats and buses, often) Brompton does a single speed folder (as well as some IGH stuff) I believe Tern and Dahon at one point had single speeds and IGHs and if you are looking for mountain bikes, find a shop that specializes in mountain bikes and you will definitely want to ditch the folding mechanism 100000% as if that fails while you are on some single track that would really ruin your day and maybe your week and maybe months after that.

Just ditch the junk and be prepared to spend some money or wait a bit, save up money and test ride some bikes in the mean time to figure out what you want and what would work best for your riding.
Old 08-28-23, 12:54 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by primuspaul
yes I heard about needing to install a tensioner as well when dealing with fs, even for single speed. Perhaps I should look into hardtail
aliexpress.us/item/3256805517909614.html

Understand in what way I’m agreeing with VeganBikes.
The problem with the bike you posted is the features.
Seriously, watch the above video and then ask yourself why you need/want suspension.

If bargain basement Amazon/Walmart type bikes didn’t try to look like expensive bikes, they might actually be pretty good bikes.
KISS.
Single speed or coaster brake, front dual pivot of linear pull.
No fake suspension. No bottom barrel disc brakes.
Focus on a decent frame, wheels, and bottom bracket. Then they might be decent bikes.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-28-23, 01:21 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Try this.

On OfferUp or Craigslist or FBmarketplace.

Put this in the search.

”Raleigh 20”