Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to increase handlebar height?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 09:39 AM
ted_smith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I have a large 59cm road bike that I use to cycle the 15 miles from work. I am a 6ft 2" male. I read quite a bit and read a few YouTube clips about proper seat and handlebar alignment.

Long story short, I think the handlebars can't be raised as high as they need to be in relation to my seat. I say this because my lower back gets a bit stiff aafter a few miles and it just feels like I am being pulled too far over. As it stands, the top straight edge of the handlebars is 1" approx lower than the top surface of my seat and that is as high as they go. The seat could be raised a little more and perhaps should be in relation to my legs. The link below is the bike model I bought :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-San...item7b67034431

Is there any way I can raise the bars? When I was building it, the bars stem holds a kind of starfish mechanism that can't be changed. In addition, it has about 3 spacers on it already, that it came with. Is there any "rule of thumb" for seat height against handlebar height and any kind of adapter that I can buy to raise the bars by an inche or two without having to buy a new set of forks?

Have read https://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/sport/a/bikefit.htm

Thanks

Ted

Last edited by ted_smith; 07-23-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-23-11, 09:48 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
You can get a new stem that has a steeper angle, or try flipping your stem to get some rise or get a stem extender. and the last thing to do is to get a new fork with a longer steer tube.
Old 07-23-11, 09:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
The star nut is inside the fork, and can stay there, but has nothing to do with the stem. Depending on the angle you might gain some height by inverting the stem, or replacing it with one with more rise - the rise angle will be 17 degrees + the stem angle, so a 17 degree stem will rise at 34 degrees (or be horizontal with the angle down).

If you still need more height there are a few builders what will make you a high angle stem, but that can be very pricey.

There's no real of thumb for bar height, though most would agree that saddle height or lower is preferred. I t's really about getting a comfortable position. If you can gain more height by flipping the stem, do so. Otherwise I suggest visiting a knowledgeable dealer and getting a fit consult before spending any serious dough on new hardware.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-23-11, 10:15 AM
ted_smith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry..I forgot to mention that I have ALREADY flipped the handlebars upside down to get that that extra 1" or so, and despite that, it is still 1" below the top surface of my seat.

Perhaps best I take it to a shop, as you say?

Last edited by ted_smith; 02-27-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 10:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
An inch below the saddle is near the top end of "normal". Look around and you'll see most have their bars well lower than that. But it isn't about being "normal" but about what will make you comfortable.

See a local shop, and see what your options are. Then decide if you want to spend for a higher rise stem, or try to adapt to what you have, which is well within the range of normal.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-23-11, 12:25 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Ted: Google "bike threadless stem extender" and "threadless adjustable stem" for plenty of ideas/options for raising your bars.
Old 07-23-11, 02:04 PM
ted_smith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dsbrant - superb! Sometimes, it's knowing the terminology, but that looks like exactly what I need.

Last edited by ted_smith; 02-27-14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 03:56 PM
strock 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This might work, too: https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Alloy-Bi.../dp/B000FHBED0

Kludgier than the adjustable Ritchey stem, but less expensive.
Old 07-23-11, 07:01 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Unless you have some kind of back problem, I'd look into why you feel the need to have the bars so high... maybe your seat is wrong for you?

Have you been properly fitted?

If you haven't spent much time on a road bike, give yourself a chance to get used to the position - this can take up to two or three weeks. It helps to try bending your back from as low down as you can, and keep your upper back flat if possible... this is where your seat matters, to support the proper amount of hip rotation. If one element is far wrong, it'll throw everything else out.

It should go without saying that it's worth whatever effort it takes to find your lowest comfortable position, given the efficiency gains.
Old 07-23-11, 08:25 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
THe quickest way to do it will be to buy a new stem that has more rise and/or less extension. This is often a very very quick modification to make. From the pictures I found of that bike, the stem it comes with not only has little ride, but has loads of forward extension.

But, as mentioned above, call the bike shops around and see if any offer professional fitting services or if one you are familiar with can even have someone experieiced have a quick look to see if there are any obvious problems.
Old 07-23-11, 11:24 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ted_smith
Hi

I have a large 59cm road bike that I use to cycle the 15 miles from work. I am a 6ft 2" male. I read quite a bit and read a few YouTube clips about proper seat and handlebar alignment.

Long story short, I think the handlebars can't be raised as high as they need to be in relation to my seat. I say this because my lower back gets a bit stiff aafter a few miles and it just feels like I am being pulled too far over. As it stands, the top straight edge of the handlebars is 1" approx lower than the top surface of my seat and that is as high as they go. The seat could be raised a little more and perhaps should be in relation to my legs. The link below is the bike model I bought :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-San...item7b67034431

Is there any way I can raise the bars? When I was building it, the bars stem holds a kind of starfish mechanism that can't be changed. In addition, it has about 3 spacers on it already, that it came with. Is there any "rule of thumb" for seat height against handlebar height and any kind of adapter that I can buy to raise the bars by an inche or two without having to buy a new set of forks?

Have read https://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/sport/a/bikefit.htm

Thanks

Ted
Bike fit and handlebar rules are made to be broken -- handlebar heights in particular. What is comfortable for bar height is highly dependent on your core strength and back condition. I have just the last three years been riding maybe 100+ miles/week as opposed to every few weekends. I have also lost significant weight and at my Friday gym session my trainer often has me do core stuff. It is not surprising to me that while two years ago I had to stop riding every half hour and stretch my aching back -- this with the handlebars 4 inches or so higher than the saddle -- I have been gradually lowering them to the point where I can ride a century with the bars a few inches below the saddle and no back pain.

Go get yourself an extender and you might be tossing it in a while. In fact, I have two in my bike tool box that I removed. Want me to throw one in the mail?

Don in Austin
Old 07-24-11, 07:30 AM
Mauriceloridans

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an extender. I don't need to maximize aero efficiency to use my bike for transportation. Comfort is more important to me.
Old 07-24-11, 09:23 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
It's common for the bars to be as much as 10cm (4 inches) lower than the saddle, if the bike is set up for racing. A 1 inch saddle to bar drop is very conservative. Part of your problem could be caused by a saddle that is too far forward. If the saddle is too far forward, you'll have too much weight on your hands. You may also be recruiting the back muscles to help keep your torso upright. If you move the saddle back, it will balance your body over the saddle.

A lower back issue is common for new cyclists. Often, it just takes more mileage to become used to a road bike position. Over the course of 25 years of cycling, I kept lowering the bars, even into my late 50's. I rode with the bars 8-9cm lower than the saddle for many years, but increased that to 10-11cm the last several years. With the saddle back far enough, I'm balanced, such that I can "hover" my hands over the brake hoods.
Old 07-24-11, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There are external clamp on stem raisers to put on the steerer,
then fit the stem, onto the top of the part you added.

starfish mechanism that can't be changed.
I removed mine, you just have to destroy it .. core is aluminum,
holding the 2 spring steel discs.

drill it a bit, then over tighten it against the end of the,
steel in my case, fork steerer.
once the core breaks down, rotate discs and pull them out..

I bought BBB's BHP-21 a quill internal stem raiser with an integral internally threaded bolt
to re locate the headset preload adjustment , to the top of the raised stem...

Mine a Trekking bike, not a road racer style, so bars above the saddle
give me 64, the most comfortable position.

And I got to stack, add a second, lower, stem , just to fit my bar bag mount..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-26-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-24-11, 02:53 PM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin

Go get yourself an extender and you might be tossing it in a while. In fact, I have two in my bike tool box that I removed. Want me to throw one in the mail?

Don in Austin
Hi Don,

Sorry to butt in but couldn't help but notice. I'm considering an extender too. Assuming Ted didn't want yours, what kind and size is it? How much would you want for it?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-11, 03:21 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishugly
Hi Don,

Sorry to butt in but couldn't help but notice. I'm considering an extender too. Assuming Ted didn't want yours, what kind and size is it? How much would you want for it?

Thanks.
Just pay me for the UPS charges. I have two I no longer use. Black.
Fit on a 1 1/8"' threadless steerer.

Don in Austin
Old 07-24-11, 04:09 PM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just pay me for the UPS charges. I have two I no longer use. Black.
Fit on a 1 1/8"' threadless steerer.

Don in Austin
Ok, thanks! Just so I understand correctly, is it like the following? https://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Stee.../dp/B001C6DTZY
Old 07-24-11, 04:31 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by strock
This might work, too: https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Alloy-Bi.../dp/B000FHBED0

Kludgier than the adjustable Ritchey stem, but less expensive.
This ^^^ a stem riser. They work fine.
Old 07-26-11, 11:48 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whilst on the subject of these stem risers, are spacers required, like the following? https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Aveni...bxgy_sg_text_b
Old 07-26-11, 11:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
are spacers required?
Depends on the type , externally clamping stem raisers , do not.

they clamp on in place of the stem, so what spacers were beneath the stem
to begin with are still there.... then the stem is relocated to the top of the raiser..
Old 07-29-11, 03:58 AM
ted_smith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Don and others who have kindly contributed.

Sorry for the delay - I been on holiday.

That is very kind of you Don, if you wouldn't mind, but I am in the UK, so postage may be as much or more as the cost of me buying one new from here?

As the height discussion overall...

I do have lower back problems, and I am trying not to aggrevate it further by going extreme with the cycling - I am receving physio care for it currently and she said the cycling is great but I have to stop when the lower back starts to ache and rest for a while. I want to get myself warmed into the lower positions and get used to the cycling before I go for racing style.

As for the seat position - I watched a YouTube video about that and set it so that when the peddle is at 03:00, there is a straight line to the floor frm me knee to the middle of the peddle. That is what the video said was the correct seat position.

I think all in all I need to go to a bike shop and get measured into it properly. There is one not too far from where I live.

Meanwhile though, I think the handlebar raisers would be a good starting point, but I'll not buy unless the bike shop thinks I need to. Dom - if you want to post me yours, if it's peanuts in terms of P&P, that would be super (I will send address via e-mail, when necessary)

Thanks

Last edited by ted_smith; 02-27-14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 07:24 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ted_smith
Hi Don and others who have kindly contributed.

Sorry for the delay - I been on holiday. Just read the forum thread updates and noted Don's very generous offer - unfortunately I cannot reply because I have not posted 50 times. My personal e-mail address is tedsmith28@yahoo.co.uk

That is very kind of you Don, if you wouldn't mind, but I am in the UK, so postage may be as much or more as the cost of me buying one new from here? Did you know I was in the UK? If the postage is minimal (say about $8 or so) then that would be great if you could. I will PayPal the money to you. If it's higher than that though, probably not worth your time and effort - I will just buy new (unless, that is, your extender is a fancy professional one...in which case it would be good to have because they range from £40-50 sterling here in the UK for the better ones).

I live in Derby, Derbyshire, UK (in order to judge how much P&P might be)

As the height discussion overall...

I do have lower back problems, and I am trying not to aggrevate it further by going extreme with the cycling - I am receving physio care for it currently and she said the cycling is great but I have to stop when the lower back starts to ache and rest for a while. I want to get myself warmed into the lower positions and get used to the cycling before I go for racing style.

As for the seat position - I watched a YouTube video about that and set it so that when the peddle is at 03:00, there is a straight line to the floor frm me knee to the middle of the peddle. That is what the video said was the correct seat position.

I think all in all I need to go to a bike shop and get measured into it properly. There is one not too far from where I live.

Meanwhile though, I think the handlebar raisers would be a good starting point, but I'll not buy unless the bike shop thinks I need to. Dom - if you want to post me yours, if it's peanuts in terms of P&P, that would be super (I will send address via e-mail, when necessary)

Thanks

Ted
Well, I sent one to a good fellow cyclist in Idaho and that shipping was $12 UPS ground. The shipping weight was under a pound. So figure out what it would cost to ship to UK and what the extenders cost there and we can decide if its worth shipping the other one. Here's a link to the same thing as what I have: https://cgi.ebay.com/Delta-Alloy-Thre...3684%26ps%3D54

Don in Austin
Old 07-29-11, 07:31 PM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I sent one to a good fellow cyclist in Idaho and that shipping was $12 UPS ground. The shipping weight was under a pound. So figure out what it would cost to ship to UK and what the extenders cost there and we can decide if its worth shipping the other one. Here's a link to the same thing as what I have: https://cgi.ebay.com/Delta-Alloy-Thre...3684%26ps%3D54
Don in Austin

For people in the US you should be able to shove it in a USPS Priority Mail envelope or box for $5. Just FYI.

KeS
Old 07-29-11, 10:07 PM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Depends on the type , externally clamping stem raisers , do not.

they clamp on in place of the stem, so what spacers were beneath the stem
to begin with are still there.... then the stem is relocated to the top of the raiser..
I installed the riser this eve, on top of the existing spacers, and the bars are higher than I'd like. Looks like if I were to remove those existing spacers, cut the steering stem down, then clamp the new riser on...I'd get the handlebar height I'm envisioning...which was about an inch or so. Am I missing something?

Perhaps I'd be better off leaving that area stock and just getting some MTN bike rise bars. The existing are just flat MTN bike bars.

Hmmm.....

Thoughts?

By the way. If the original poster would like me to delete this post and start a new thread, I'd be happy to. I feel bad for hijacking this thread but thought it might be beneficial in some way. Just let me know.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-11, 10:14 PM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don in Austin
Don,

It is people like you who remind me of the goodness still left in this chaotic society we live in. Thank you!! I'll get your check out tomorrow morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.