Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fitting experts, I need a second opinion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 07:43 PM
Paultso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I currently ride a 54 Caad10 and it fits almost perfect. Top tube c-c is 54.5 and seat tube is 54

I'm considering purchasing an older steel frame that has a 56.5 top tube c-c and 56 seat tube

Any idea how things will shake out or am I missing too many inputs for this calculus to work out...

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, I don't plan on training on this bike, plan to just make it a nice weather, tool-around town machine

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 01-27-13, 07:49 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So assuming equal angles, you'll have 2cm less seatpost showing and require a 2 cm shorter stem. Don't know your handlebar drop, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Old 01-27-13, 09:43 PM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your 54cm CAAD10 small for you? If it fit great, then you might want to rethink buying this bike. 2 cm in top tube is a sizable change. While it might work, trying to ride a frame that's simply too large is a formula for long term pain.

seat tube fit is easy, just lower your seat post.
To get the top tube fit right, you can do three things (individually or in combination):
1. get shorter stem.
2. move saddle forward
3. Raise handle bar
Old 01-27-13, 09:45 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theEconomist
Is your 54cm CAAD10 small for you? If it fit great, then you might want to rethink buying this bike. 2 cm in top tube is a sizable change. While it might work, trying to ride a frame that's simply too large will be a pain.

seat tube fit is easy, just lower your seat.
To get the top tube fit right, you can do three things (individually or in combination):
1. get shorter stem.
2. move seat forward
3. Raise handle bar
You can't change your saddle setback to resolve reach issues. It's mitigating a problem, by starting a new one.
Old 01-28-13, 12:13 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Not that much of an expert, but if it's an older bike with a threaded headset, most of them have pretty long stems, and a short enough stem might be a hassle to come by.

OTOH, if you're putting few miles on it, the fit is not as critical.
Old 01-28-13, 01:23 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How long a stem do you run on the CAAD10?
Old 01-28-13, 02:18 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Not that much of an expert, but if it's an older bike with a threaded headset, most of them have pretty long stems, and a short enough stem might be a hassle to come by.
80mm 1" quills with 26mm clamp are actually still widely available. from $12 Kalloys to $61 Nittos. There are a few 25.4 clamps out there too.

If you get one with a 26.4mm bar then you pretty much have to go eBay these days, however.

I'm lucky enough to live near good bike shop territory so scored a used 90mm cinelli with 26.4mm clamp for $20.

I pretty much have a 5cm range of bike sizes I can work with, generally.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-28-13 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-28-13, 08:03 AM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
How long a stem do you run on the CAAD10?
This.

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
You can't change your saddle setback to resolve reach issues. It's mitigating a problem, by starting a new one.
& This.

If you run a 110mm+ stem on the CAAD I think you'd be okay.

If you have to push your saddle forward you could cause knee pain.
Old 01-28-13, 08:39 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep in mind older "classic" geometry typically called for much less seat tube than modern bikes. So, in a *very* general sense, I would not find 56cm in a classic frame terribly shocking compared to 54cm in a modern frame. I can usually find a reasonable fit for myself with bikes ranging from 53-57cm, but as someone said, there are variables that you can not adjust away, so none of that (for me) is true in all cases. If it's cheap enough, try it out & if it still doesn't work, flip it for one that does.
Old 01-28-13, 09:11 AM
Paultso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theEconomist
Is your 54cm CAAD10 small for you? If it fit great, then you might want to rethink buying this bike. 2 cm in top tube is a sizable change. While it might work, trying to ride a frame that's simply too large is a formula for long term pain.

seat tube fit is easy, just lower your seat post.
1. get shorter stem.
2. move saddle forward
3. Raise handle bar
thanks for putting it into perspective
Old 01-28-13, 09:13 AM
Paultso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisbenji
This.

& This.

If you run a 110mm+ stem on the CAAD I think you'd be okay.

If you have to push your saddle forward you could cause knee pain.
Currently running a 90mm stem, its short since my stem is slammed
Old 01-28-13, 09:16 AM
Paultso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
Keep in mind older "classic" geometry typically called for much less seat tube than modern bikes. So, in a *very* general sense, I would not find 56cm in a classic frame terribly shocking compared to 54cm in a modern frame. I can usually find a reasonable fit for myself with bikes ranging from 53-57cm, but as someone said, there are variables that you can not adjust away, so none of that (for me) is true in all cases. If it's cheap enough, try it out & if it still doesn't work, flip it for one that does.
exactly, i almost want to give it a shot since this is a mid 90's and don't think the geometry is as aggressive as my caad
Old 01-28-13, 10:14 AM
thisisbenji

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would disregard seat tube length, I would only consider horizontal top tube length. My Specialized Crux has a 52cm seat tube, and my Allez has a 49cm seat tube. Yet both have 53.7cm top tubes and fit perfect. If your already running a 90mm stem on a 54.5cm top tube I wouldn't get something with anything longer.
Old 01-28-13, 10:21 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
56.5 is too long for the guy. My best guess is that you will end up with a 8 or 7 stem to make it work, if the bikes have the same angles. IF the steel bike has shallower angles then the reach might be the same or close and maybe the 9 stem will work, but IMO like 3 cm in length is too much to make it work. Unless you really dont care at all if the fit is tiny off.
Old 01-28-13, 10:39 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisbenji
I would disregard seat tube length, I would only consider horizontal top tube length. My Specialized Crux has a 52cm seat tube, and my Allez has a 49cm seat tube. Yet both have 53.7cm top tubes and fit perfect. If your already running a 90mm stem on a 54.5cm top tube I wouldn't get something with anything longer.
If your current ride has you on a 90 mm stem, the shorter stem (70mm) you would need on the bigger bike will compromise handling. I prefer stems in the 110-130 mm range with normal trail for neutral handling.
Old 01-28-13, 11:09 AM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
So assuming equal angles, you'll have 2cm less seatpost showing and require a 2 cm shorter stem. Don't know your handlebar drop, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
This is NOT correct. Or at least it wouldn't be correct if the bikes were from the same family. You're right about the seatpost, wrong about the stem.

You are forgetting that the seat post is not vertical. When you go from 54 to 56 seat tube, the point where the seat tube meets the top tube is moved up and backwards. Assuming equal angles, the switch from 54 to 56 would move the junction up 19 mm and back 6 mm. There's a good chance that angles aren't equal either: bigger bikes generally have more off-vertical seat tubes. Going from 54/74° to 56/73.5° would move the junction up 18 mm and back 10 mm.

Since the top tube is measured from that junction to the top of the head tube, this backwards move "eats" some of the extra top tube length. So, instead of 20 mm you only have to deal with 10-14 mm.

Generally speaking, TT length is a bad metric. It's easy to measure, but it's too confusing and easily misunderstood, even if the top tube is horizontal. It's almost totally worthless when the top tube is slanted. There is a better metric called "reach": horizontal distance between BB and the top of the head tube. It varies a lot less than TT length. For example, on a Trek Madone 5.2, the difference in ETTs between 62 cm and 52 cm frames is 64 mm. The difference in reach is only 19 mm: the rest is eaten by the move of the junction point.
Old 01-28-13, 11:15 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I second pdede's most recent post. If you're running 90mm stem and have a good fit then you're pretty much at the big end of your useful frame size range.
Old 01-28-13, 11:23 AM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paultso
So I currently ride a 54 Caad10 and it fits almost perfect. Top tube c-c is 54.5 and seat tube is 54

I'm considering purchasing an older steel frame that has a 56.5 top tube c-c and 56 seat tube

Any idea how things will shake out or am I missing too many inputs for this calculus to work out...

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, I don't plan on training on this bike, plan to just make it a nice weather, tool-around town machine

Thanks in advance guys!
You'll have 2cm less seatpost showing, 1-1.5 cm more distance from the tip of the saddle to the base of the stem (for which you compensate by getting a shorter stem), and less clearance for the family jewels. None of these are showstoppers, unless your seatpost is already most of the way in on the 54.

The biggest potential problem is that the 56 will have a higher head tube: the top of the head tube will be 2-2.5 cm higher from the ground than it is on the 54. The best way to compensate for that is to use fewer spacers below the stem. If you don't have any spacers below the stem on the 54, it's probably not a good idea to get the 56, because you'll not be able to get into the same posture (you'll be forced to be slightly more upright.)
Old 01-28-13, 11:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by hamster

The biggest potential problem is that the 56 will have a higher head tube: the top of the head tube will be probably 2-2.5 cm higher from the ground than it is on the 54. The best way to compensate for that is to use fewer spacers below the stem. If you don't have any spacers below the stem on the 54, it's probably not a good idea to get the 56, because you'll not be able to get into the same posture (you'll be forced to be slightly more upright.)
Of course an old bike is likely to have a -17 stem whereas his CAAD10 is probably +/-10 degree. Even with a stubby 90mm stem that 7 degree diff would put the -17 about a cm lower than the -10, assuming CAAD stem is flipped.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-28-13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-28-13, 12:17 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Of course an old bike is likely to have a -17 stem whereas his CAAD10 is probably +/-10 degree. Even with a stubby 90mm stem that 7 degree diff would put the -17 about a cm lower than the -10, assuming CAAD stem is flipped.
Good point. Possibly even more. Nowadays most stems are +/-6 deg. It's less of a problem, then.
Old 01-28-13, 12:22 PM
thisisbenji

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
If your current ride has you on a 90 mm stem, the shorter stem (70mm) you would need on the bigger bike will compromise handling. I prefer stems in the 110-130 mm range with normal trail for neutral handling.
That's what I was getting at. I ride a 53.5cm top tube with a 110mm stem. My bike actually has a longer reach than his 54.5cm and a 90mm stem. There's no way I'd ride something with a 56.5cm top tube.
Old 01-28-13, 08:12 PM
Paultso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sigh, ok i guess it just wasn't meant to be. More money in the bank!