Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 08-01-16, 11:02 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You could try Japanese jeans(I do not remember the brand name)
Japanese jeans are super stretchy, so you don't have to worry about your popping your jeans lol
I think you can get these jeans in Saks fifth avenue.

I was trying to buy one, but I could not find 29 or 30 size........
Old 08-03-16, 05:14 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy trousers and jeans that fit my legs and butt, and then have the waists taken in by a local tailor.
Old 08-07-16, 10:15 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions for rollers/a trainer for living in a second or third floor apartment situation? I'll be moving into my first apartment this month and am concerned about getting noise complaints with my current equipment.

I tried a CycleOps Silencer recently and was very impressed with how well it lived up to its name. I also tried some Kreitlers recently and was similarly impressed with how quiet they were. Thoughts?
Old 08-08-16, 12:23 AM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
Does anyone have suggestions for rollers/a trainer for living in a second or third floor apartment situation? I'll be moving into my first apartment this month and am concerned about getting noise complaints with my current equipment.

I tried a CycleOps Silencer recently and was very impressed with how well it lived up to its name. I also tried some Kreitlers recently and was similarly impressed with how quiet they were. Thoughts?
You should get a Keirin roller
I tried Korea Keirin roller and I was amazed by sound and stability.
I have to ask my friend where we could get one.
If you are interested, I could ask my friend

Korea roller is made by a retired keirin racer who worked for a bearing company.
He used his knowledge to make a perfect keirin roller.
So every keirin racers and track are using his roller

If you look at the picture, you could see how big is the drum is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3094.jpg (94.4 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-14-16, 10:24 AM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for advice - I want to put some wheels together using a flip -flip hub, something I can use out spinning on the road with a front brake as well as for training on the velodrome. What's a good compromise clincher rim that will suit both purposes as best possible? I'm thinking Mavic Open Pros...
Old 08-14-16, 01:15 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TDinBristol
Looking for advice - I want to put some wheels together using a flip -flip hub, something I can use out spinning on the road with a front brake as well as for training on the velodrome. What's a good compromise clincher rim that will suit both purposes as best possible? I'm thinking Mavic Open Pros...
There are lots of off-the-rack flip-flop wheels and wheelsets available. Just make sure that they have a brake track.

If you want to build a set custom, fine. But, don't feel that you have to to get a solid wheelset.

Look here for good prices (I'm not affiliated with any of these):

Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
https://www.retro-gression.com/

And, yes, Open Pros will work fine, but they are a very old reference rim. There have been many rims made since then. Deep section rims have become more popular that box section. The idea is that the shorter spokes make for a stiffer wheel and the aero profile of the rim provides aero benefits. But, to be honest, for a training wheel, aero won't matter much. And unless you are doing really powerful standing starts, stiffness won't matter much either. Actually, your stiffness will come more from spoke count and thickness than rim depth anyway.
Old 08-14-16, 02:43 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a lot of experience with training on the road with my track bike, because I don't live near a velodrome.
I personally recommend using TWO brakes when you are training on the road.
It doesn't matter if you are going 10 miles per hour or 50 miles per hour.
There are many crazy drivers!
So try to use two brakes.

Also @carelton is right about the wheel.
It's better to have a modern rim like Velocity Deep V, but it wouldn't make a huge difference.
So buy a cheaper wheel(similar quality wheel) and use that money to buy some cogs and chainring.
Old 08-14-16, 02:51 PM
TDinBristol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
I have a lot of experience with training on the road with my track bike, because I don't live near a velodrome.
I personally recommend using TWO brakes when you are training on the road.
It doesn't matter if you are going 10 miles per hour or 50 miles per hour.
There are many crazy drivers!
So try to use two brakes.

Also @carelton is right about the wheel.
It's better to have a modern rim like Velocity Deep V, but it wouldn't make a huge difference.
So buy a cheaper wheel(similar quality wheel) and use that money to buy some cogs and chainring.
Guys,

Thanks for the advice. One other question - which hubs other than Dura Ace have locking threads on both sides? I noticed some flip-flops seem to leave one side for a single-speed freewheel (or at least a cog with no locking).
Old 08-14-16, 03:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. One other question - which hubs other than Dura Ace have locking threads on both sides? I noticed some flip-flops seem to leave one side for a single-speed freewheel (or at least a cog with no locking).
Did you visit the websites I linked above?
Old 08-15-16, 04:50 AM
TDinBristol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Did you visit the websites I linked above?
Thanks. Just not sure from the listings which are which. I'll do some further exploration!
Old 08-15-16, 09:01 AM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks. Just not sure from the listings which are which. I'll do some further exploration!
There are single-sided options:

- Freewheel (with no cross-threaded lip for a lock ring), called "Free"
- Fixed Gear (with a cross-threaded lip for a lock ring), called "Fixed"

Then they come with options on both side, "flip/flop":

- Fixed/Free
- Fixed/Fixed (this is what you want).

Look for the stepped-lip.
Old 08-15-16, 09:07 AM
carleton
Elitist

Fixed/Free(wheel):

Fixed/Fixed (what you want):

Notice the stepped-lip on both sides. That's to accommodate the lockring on both sides.
Old 08-15-16, 10:36 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Guys,

I have some mavic wheels that are fixed fixed. Not sure why there aren't more like this, as you can put a free wheel on a fixed hub. But you can't put a lock ring on a free wheel hub.
Old 08-15-16, 09:24 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just went through this myself so I could start training standing starts in the park near me without worrying about flatting a tubular. I ended up building up a set of H+Son Archetypes to formula fix/fix flip flop hubs. They should be pretty bomb-proof. The only downside is the rims are anodized after machining the sidewall, so the use of a brake will rub the finish off eventually. They're extremely good quality, though. I used to use velocity for most of my builds, but sometimes they don't build easily.
Old 08-15-16, 09:27 PM
MarkWW

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This is basically what I built up: H + Plus Son Archetype Black Formula Track hubs Wheelset [74106] - $239.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 08-16-16, 03:51 AM
TDinBristol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for your advice - I know what I need now!
Old 08-16-16, 06:17 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If anyone is interested, I think I found an incredible wheel deal: FREE SHIP 48 STATES* Fixie Track BIKE Wheelset PROMO SALE Vuelta Track PRO V Aluminum Wheelsets Alloy Hub Track Fixie Bike Wheels

They are 36 spokes on the rear and 32 spokes on the front. I ordered two sets and got one with a black rim and one with a white rim - both with black hubs and spokes. The hubs are fixed/free. I haven't ridden them yet (their for my winter fixie), but they feel pretty solid and the hub feels pretty smooth. The reason I got two sets is that they were only $50 a set!
Old 08-16-16, 12:59 PM
1incpa

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
If anyone is interested, I think I found an incredible wheel deal: FREE SHIP 48 STATES* Fixie Track BIKE Wheelset PROMO SALE Vuelta Track PRO V Aluminum Wheelsets Alloy Hub Track Fixie Bike Wheels

They are 36 spokes on the rear and 32 spokes on the front. I ordered two sets and got one with a black rim and one with a white rim - both with black hubs and spokes. The hubs are fixed/free. I haven't ridden them yet (their for my winter fixie), but they feel pretty solid and the hub feels pretty smooth. The reason I got two sets is that they were only $50 a set!
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a set!
See you Saturday!
PI
Old 08-16-16, 08:43 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1incpa
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a set!
See you Saturday!
PI
The rim tape looks pretty thin to me, so if you run at higher pressures I would suggest putting on some beefier tape.

Also, I'm not sure if you keep tabs on the track activities, but the Stagaires are invited to race this Friday night. I'll be there, but in stands watching.
Old 08-16-16, 09:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

That's a great deal.

I always replace the rim tape on all of my clincher wheels (for road and track) with cloth rim tape. It's heavier, but worth the peace of mind.

The bearings may be cheap on those wheels, but for $50/set, you can have some upgraded ones installed and still come out ahead financially.

I'm not saying that the bearings will be stiff. They just might get cruddy faster than higher quality. So, if you do ride them and they get cruddy, just have them replaced at a shop for a few bucks.
Old 08-17-16, 05:34 AM
1incpa

Originally Posted by dunderhi
Also, I'm not sure if you keep tabs on the track activities, but the Stagaires are invited to race this Friday night. I'll be there, but in stands watching.
I did see that! I'm planning on racing! Not sure how it'll go, it's going to be a tough work week, but I'll try.
See you there!

Anyone else planning on going to T-Town for Tandemonium?

PI

Last edited by 1incpa; 08-18-16 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 09:16 PM
MarkWW

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
I did see that! I'm planning on racing! Not sure how it'll go, it's going to be a tough work week, but I'll try.
See you there!

Anyone else planning on going to T-Town for Tandemonium!

PI
I'll be racing!
Old 08-18-16, 05:21 AM
1incpa

Originally Posted by MarkWW
I'll be racing!
Awesome! I'll see you there!
Old 08-22-16, 05:58 AM
Track drop out

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone ! I'll be living in Madrid for a whole semester starting on next September. Does anyone know if there are tracks I can go to train while I'm staying there ? Searching on the internet hasn't given me alot to go on.
Old 08-22-16, 07:01 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
That's a great deal.

I always replace the rim tape on all of my clincher wheels (for road and track) with cloth rim tape. It's heavier, but worth the peace of mind.

The bearings may be cheap on those wheels, but for $50/set, you can have some upgraded ones installed and still come out ahead financially.

I'm not saying that the bearings will be stiff. They just might get cruddy faster than higher quality. So, if you do ride them and they get cruddy, just have them replaced at a shop for a few bucks.
Agree with this. I rode with some new wheels last week and the next day found that the front was flat. Did the usual checks and didn't find anything so changed the inner. Rode again a few days later and the next day found both tyres were flat. Traced the problem to the cheap plastic rim tape not fully covering a couple of the spoke holes leaving an exposed sharp edge, really difficult to spot unless you knew where to look. Therefore I've ordered some Velox cloth tape and some slightly lighter tubes, which I can get away with as I only ride indoors. For info they are Dolan Navigator Pistas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.