Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Protecting new paint

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Protecting new paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 05:02 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Protecting new paint

I wondered if anyone had experience with applying helicopter film to either newly repainted frames or new steel to protect and preserve the finish. I am considering something like this for my Colnago. The one i have in mind is a polyurethane film but it is a permanent film and so I am not sure I want something on there that I won't be able take off without ripping the paint off with it. Are there other options ? Does this stuff really work? I also am not sure how good that adhesive on these films is for the paint anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-19, 05:26 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Did it a few years back to a new steel frame, if doing it now, and the bike was expensive, would be looking at somewhere which used the same stuff (PPF) as they wrap high end/exotic cars with, as 'helicopter tape' is pretty generic now, there are lots of brands, of different value/spec.

You mention the film is permanent, would really be looking for a removable film, as if it's ever damaged/you badly apply it, your in trouble if it needs replacement.

XPEL springs to mind as a brand to look at; would also look to see if anyone near you does it professionally, as this may end up being a cheaper/similar cost option to doing it yourself/for the quality of finish.
Old 01-10-19, 06:09 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
The stuff works well. Effetto Mariposa Shelter Road is a pre-made kit for a road bike. I've put them on a couple of customer's bikes, you can barely tell they are there. Can't say how well it comes off but they claim it is removable.
Old 01-10-19, 06:36 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Speaking from experience with the afore mentioned films in my aircraft dealership job, I can tell you they are very clear and sometimes imperceptible when installed WELL. Research techniques for proper installation. The downside is when you get enough sun it can begin to yellow slightly. That would be starting to show on some of our customer's 3-4 yr old aircraft that have been in the South Carolina-florida range. When it comes to repairs, you would have to remove it completely to repair a damaged paint area which can be a royal handful.

Most importantly, make double sure it is cured long enough. At least 90 days is a requirement unless certain conditions are met. Without that much time involved it will cause outgassing to be trapped and work as a paint stripper between layers as well as preventing long term curing and hardness which can take a couple months depending on the paint system used.

I will be using that on my recently redone trail bike on the downtube ding area and toptube but having been painted in Nov I will be waiting until at least Mar/Apr to be sure.
Old 01-10-19, 07:24 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't ride the bike.
Old 01-10-19, 07:25 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've used the 3M auto stuff on a few bikes in high wear areas, and it can be removed without damaging the paint. When applied correctly it is more or less invisible and it is really tough stuff. I had a rock kick up and hit and there was a gouge in the film but it didn't tear through it. If that had hit bare paint it would have chipped it for sure.
Related to what the poster above mentioned, another side effect is that some films protect the underlying paint from UV and general exposure so well that if you pull the film off after a while there can be a sharp line between the exposed and protected paints.
Old 01-10-19, 07:31 PM
Kars 

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Did it a few years back to a new steel frame, if doing it now, and the bike was expensive, would be looking at somewhere which used the same stuff (PPF) as they wrap high end/exotic cars with, as 'helicopter tape' is pretty generic now, there are lots of brands, of different value/spec.

You mention the film is permanent, would really be looking for a removable film, as if it's ever damaged/you badly apply it, your in trouble if it needs replacement.

XPEL springs to mind as a brand to look at; would also look to see if anyone near you does it professionally, as this may end up being a cheaper/similar cost option to doing it yourself/for the quality of finish.
good information , thanks to all. What is the PPF stuff you mentioned. is that the brand?
Old 01-10-19, 07:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Do what my surfer buddy did with all of his new surfboards: knock it against the corner of the house to get the first ding over with so you don't need to worry about it anymore.
Old 01-11-19, 12:09 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
If going with some brand of Urethane Tape make sure you get the "Outdoor, UV resistant" type, otherwise it will turn yellow and become brittle.
Old 01-11-19, 02:28 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Kars
good information , thanks to all. What is the PPF stuff you mentioned. is that the brand?
PPF = Paint Protection Film; XPEL is a brand, there are others, they are aimed mainly at the car world, but will work on bikes,

There is a (promo) video here from a UK wrapping company, skip to about 30 secs o where you see what their doing, The process should be the similar regardless of where you are in the world.

Old 01-11-19, 10:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
My experience with various sporting (and machine tooling) goods that have been covered with various clear "protective" tapes is that after a while you wish you had done something different. Things happen, the covering gets scuffed, gritted, grimed, lube discolors it. Shoes scuff stays, crotches touch top tubes, cables/casings rub tubing, knees brush tube sides, and more. If you transport your bike via a car expect more contact points to show.

If you were looking for a short term protection that you could remove to then resell the bike (after initial use) then maybe this would be worth it. Still the removal will be a real hassle. Andy
Old 01-11-19, 11:25 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I would not worry about dings or scratches, they are badges of honor. They show use.
Old 01-12-19, 07:37 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Kars
I wondered if anyone had experience with applying helicopter film to either newly repainted frames or new steel to protect and preserve the finish. I am considering something like this for my Colnago. The one i have in mind is a polyurethane film but it is a permanent film and so I am not sure I want something on there that I won't be able take off without ripping the paint off with it. Are there other options ? Does this stuff really work? I also am not sure how good that adhesive on these films is for the paint anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have 6 C&V re-painted frames and head tube marks from cable housing marks around the builders head badge bothers me so for many years now I have use small strips of now very old ski protection tape on these and my original paint customs. I refresh the stuff when I do cables which is many years as I rotate through 7 or 8+ bikes for my rides. Comes off cleanly, I wax the frame and re-apply w/o issue.
Old 01-12-19, 02:00 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Do what my surfer buddy did with all of his new surfboards: knock it against the corner of the house to get the first ding over with so you don't need to worry about it anymore.
I sort of have the same approach. I ride it very VERY soft until I get the inevitable scratch or ding then I ride it like it was meant to be ridden. Once the first one comes the honeymoon is over. Only I don't do the scratch on purpose, that is hard core!