Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yakima roof rack question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 05:46 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I thought I'd just be able to get new q-clips to fit my existing rack to my new car, but apparently Yakima no longer supports the rack and towers I bought 15 years ago.
I have a choice of new towers and new style aero cross bars with new bicycle attachments, OR new towers and adapters to fit my old round bars with my old bike attachments. The cost difference is substantial, about $500. However, my local rack store says the new aero cross bars are substantially quieter. Has anyone driven with both styles of cross bars? Are the aero cross bars really substantially quieter? The old bars were noisy enough that we took them off for long trips without bikes. Can anyone tell me whether the new style towers are easy to put on and off?

Thank you. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure which forum to post this in.
Old 06-19-19, 02:16 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I bought Thule Aero Blades for my car since was offered by the dealer, it was about $300 with feet, locks and bars (not edge to edge style)

They are not loud with sunroof closed
But with sunroof open over 35mph is annoying, maybe wind deflector would help

I use yakima bike attachment to carry bike
Old 06-19-19, 04:03 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I can’t offer the comparison you’re looking for, but I have a 3 year old Yakima roof rack with aero bars and they were noisier than I’d like them to be. I’ve reduced the noise a fair amount by experimenting with the placement of small pieces of foam on the leading bar. You can find a lot of ideas online for cutting the noise.
Old 06-19-19, 08:11 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I don't have a newer Yakima rack but since my car already came with oem "aero" crossbars, all I needed were the trays and mounts. I always add a wind deflector to all my roof racks just to decrease the wind noise.
You can sometimes find them for cheap or free on Craigslist, specially since you're in the Bay Area.
Old 06-19-19, 08:16 AM
LS1BadBird

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
This doesn't answer your question and I don't know what you drive, but I was in a similar situation where I was going to need to spend a lot to upgrade roof storage and instead added a hitch and rear rack to my car. No roof noice, way more convenient and I don't have to worry I'll forget about my bike when I pull in the garage.
Old 06-19-19, 08:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK about there, but https://www.rerack.com/locations-contact-us/
in Seattle & Portland buys and resells used car racks, mounts , etc..

And I assume will ship to you.. Cal & WA have sales taxes, Oregon does not..
Old 06-19-19, 01:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Haven't used aero bars - still using round yakima crossbars but using them with yakima landing pads on two Mazda's. Both cars came with threaded holes in the roof for mounting roof racks. Landing Pads allow for very quick attachment of the crossbars to the roof. https://www.yakima.com/landing-pad-22-set-of-four
The crossbars go back and forth between two cars, as needed. Don't usually stay on the roof of either for very long. Probably would if the round crossbars were quieter.
Old 06-19-19, 04:54 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I used Yakima round bars on my truck cap to haul sea kayaks for years and never heard them (even with the kayaks mounted). Then again they were behind me on the back of the truck. I did however notice a fuel penalty and began removing them when not in use. I also saw a person I knew from work come into the parking garage and take his rack and front bike wheel off on an overhead sign. Good thing the frame was in the back of the car.

I see lots of Yakima racks and parts of racks on local social media and Craigslist for sale, though, and many are in near new condition and cheap enough that you can buy the whole setup and keep what you need.
Old 06-19-19, 05:00 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
The bare crossbars will be quieter than bare round bars. How much quieter depends a lot on what kind / number of attachments are on it, and where the towers sit on the roof in relation to the door seals, and your ears.

I can say that the last setup i had was an aero-profile bar, that was noticeable, but not obtrusive; although it was on a car with some not-insignificant wind noise to begin with.
I didn't realise how much noise the racks contributed, until i mounted the deflector from my old Thule setup. That made a big difference.
Old 06-21-19, 12:14 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
The bare crossbars will be quieter than bare round bars. How much quieter depends a lot on what kind / number of attachments are on it, and where the towers sit on the roof in relation to the door seals, and your ears.
Nails it pretty accurately. I've had round bars for ages and recently went with aero bars. Sans attachments, the aero bars are much quieter. It is the attachments that create most of the noise.
Old 08-13-20, 04:48 PM
88Keys

Bikes: Specialized RockHopper XXL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yakima - Aero Bars with towers and locks and kayak cradles

I had the aero bars and towers with locks on my Honda Element. I never noticed any noise. I am going to try and sell it, since I bought a pickup and this setup nolonger will work for me. I'm brand new on here, so not even sure if there is a way to sell my Yakima...But its perfect. Its also got Kayak cradles.

Originally Posted by teacherlady
I thought I'd just be able to get new q-clips to fit my existing rack to my new car, but apparently Yakima no longer supports the rack and towers I bought 15 years ago.
I have a choice of new towers and new style aero cross bars with new bicycle attachments, OR new towers and adapters to fit my old round bars with my old bike attachments. The cost difference is substantial, about $500. However, my local rack store says the new aero cross bars are substantially quieter. Has anyone driven with both styles of cross bars? Are the aero cross bars really substantially quieter? The old bars were noisy enough that we took them off for long trips without bikes. Can anyone tell me whether the new style towers are easy to put on and off?

Thank you. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure which forum to post this in.
Old 08-13-20, 06:54 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
I got the Yakima aero bars 2 months ago, and I cannot even tell they are there going down the freeway at 80mph on road trips. I don’t plan on ever removing them.

Edit: adding that the used Inno rack I got is also very quiet. This lives on the bars and I don’t notice any noise. Not sure the model as I bought it used on the cheap from the rack store.

Last edited by Hikebikerun; 08-13-20 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 07:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You add Down Force or Lift with those?