Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

I thought I had one good hip

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 07-02-19, 06:32 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

Over the last several years I’ve come to the realization that my left hip has moderate arthritis and several labral tears. I had the MRI and this was confirmed. I never knew that a bad hip sometimes manifests as inner thigh or groin pain. I learned a fair amount about this and it has not progressed so my ortho doctor said I can proceed with cycling & fitness classes without restriction. I started doing a lot of yoga 2 years ago and learned a lot. Now I try to do one yoga class per week if I can fit it in my busy life.

But this thread is about my good hip. I think I might have a labrum tear in it now. I go to the orthopedist today to discuss. You see, I love to do kick boxing on Monday nights. I’m 57 and sort of the “old man in the class”. I’ve done this class in the past and picked it up regularly over the past year or so. My theory is that the kicks in different directions are therapeutic for joint health. The instructor is really good and she builds different movements progressively so that any stiffness restricting range of motion can be gradually worked out through transitional moves such as knee kicks, partial kicks then a full kick to the front, sides, donkey kicks to the rear etc...

i have experienced some popping of my hip joints without pain, often the popping is accompanied by a release where there is an increase in comfort and range of motion.

But 2 weeks ago my instructor was having us side step across the classroom quickly, a movement I have done many times without any problems. On this day she gave us an optional little internal mini kick as we sidestepped. Sort of like something an Irish dancer might do.

Well the the first time I did this I felt a disturbing grinding feeling with sharp pain and then my femur felt locked up ! This was troubling. I stepped gingerly to the back of the classroom and very gingerly rotated my thigh in and out to try to reset the hip. I thought it did so I rejoined the class. This same series of moves was still underway and I re-joined. She again prompted us to do this little Irish dancer move and this time I had the same result but with even worse pain. Again I re-set the joint through backing off and lightly rotating the stuck body part. I completed the class and said a little prayer that nothing was torn or permanently damaged.

Cycling seems to not aggravate it which is a relief since riding is my main sport. But when I was in bed, as I rotate my right leg to get out of bed, I am still getting sharp pains, weakness and some sticking.

So so today I plan to go back to my ortho to see what needs to be done. I love kickboxing and I hope I can continue doing it because I usually feel great for the rest of the week after I do it. I feel it enhances my cycling by improving core strength, arm and chest strength and, yes hip strength (if there is such a thing). I feel like certain movements such as the donkey kicks and certain kicks that repetitively work the hip flexors are normally super beneficial, and are a bit unique to this type of class. I used to do Zumba for the same reason.

If anyone has a theory good or bad about what is going on with my hip joint, I’d like to hear it,

Also, I will post an update later today to explain what the ortho recommends.
Old 07-02-19, 11:11 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
HOLY COW!!!!! So what's up from the ortho ???
Old 07-02-19, 11:45 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
HOLY COW!!!!! So what's up from the ortho ???
Good news!
it is more of a bone spur causing an impingement but only in certain rotations/angles.

He didn’t think it was a labral tear. He said my pelvic flexibility was quite good. He said if I have a temporary impingement through a certain motion to just back off to where it is tolerable. He said I’m cleared to continue my weekly kick boxing - yeah!
Old 07-02-19, 11:50 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Good news!
it is more of a bone spur causing an impingement but only in certain rotations/angles.

He didn’t think it was a labral tear. He said my pelvic flexibility was quite good. He said if I have a temporary impingement through a certain motion to just back off to where it is tolerable. He said I’m cleared to continue my weekly kick boxing - yeah!
Very good news for sure. Enjoy the K-B and cycling.
Old 07-06-19, 12:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good news.

If the “bad hip” ever needs replacing don’t wait too long to replace it after your ortho says it needs it. It’s immediate pain relief plus you risk damaging other joints favoring the bad hip. I’d suggest finding a surgeon than can do the anterior replacement procedure. Recovery is much faster than the posterior approach. Also make sure your surgeon fully understands how active you are. This might help with decisions around full vs partial replacement and the materials they use.

Probably information that’s very premature but things I’ve learned from personal experience (and my wife).