Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

In search of DT shift boss bolts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 10:26 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

Yesterday I picked up a 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred. Very smooth ride, fits perfectly. The person from who I bought it had taken of the Sante DT shifters and replaced them with DA 10 speed barcons, but he sent a baggie home with me that had the original shifters. When I took them out of the baggie this morning, I realized the boss bolts are missing. It would be a LONG shot that any of you would have Sante boss bolts rolling around in a parts bin, but I would think DA or Ultegra from the same time period would probably work. Any luck? pic below showing what size they would be.

Old 07-12-19, 10:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I think, but do not know for certain, that those are just the same standard Shimano DT indexing shifter machine screws that come with all their other similar shifters (i.e. not Sante specific).

I use some bolts I got at the local industrial fasteners place here, but they are a little long and I have to shorten them. It's basically a large flat (pan) headed M5 machine screw, but in a specific length that's hard to find without paying extra for the ones from Shimano.
Old 07-12-19, 10:53 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
When I converted my bike from DT shifters to bar end, I used the same bolts and the same bosses for the cable stops. Any chance the cable stop bolts on the bike are the DT shifter bolts that you are seeking?
Old 07-12-19, 10:56 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
When I converted my bike from DT shifters to bar end, I used the same bolts and the same bosses for the cable stops. Any chance the cable stop bolts on the bike are the DT shifter bolts that you are seeking?
Good suggestion, I looked at that already. They don't seem to be the same. Appear to be smaller.
Old 07-12-19, 10:59 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Theyy are the same as all other similar period Shimano shifter mounting bolts. One side is a pan head with a serrated bottom, the other is a D-ring. Both are M5 size. Often for sale on eBay at inflated prices. Sometimes cheaper to buy a pair of Shimano shifters and use the bolts, just make sure you get later ones as the earlier ones used 4.5mm bolts.