Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Generic SPD-SL cleats VS authentic Shimano

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-06-18, 07:36 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

Just a quick inquiry to try to find if anyone knows if there is a distinction between SPD-SL clipless pedal cleats that come in a genuine Shimano packaging versus ones that do not.

I need a replacement yellow set for some Fizik winter shoes I purchased and noticed these generics are quite prevalent on eBay, presumably coming from China and selling for anywhere between 1$ & 8$.

The real deal Shimano ones seem to sell for about 11 or 12$ on up to $20.

Just curious if if anyone who has used the cheapies could review their experience either good or bad?

BTW - i’m Going to stop by my Performance Bike (sadly going out of business as most already know) and check their cleat prices with whatever this week’s discount applied is...
Old 12-06-18, 09:36 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Amazon is also full of "Shimano-compatible" cleats of indeterminate provenance, mingled in with the real thing. I figured that the shoe-pedal interface was sufficiently important (based on the possible consequences of the cleat failing at an inopportune moment) that I'd spring for genuine Shimano cleats. As it turned out, Amazon prices for real Shimanos differed little from those at the LBS, so I bought local, where I could see what I was getting.
Old 12-06-18, 09:44 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I got these for my Zwift bike this winter. I have two pairs of shoes, an old set I use on my Zwift bike and good shoes for summer riding. My Zwift shoes needed new cleats really bad and didn't want to drop $25 for cleats again. Sooo I hit up fleabay.

www.ebay.com/itm/EXUSTAR-RSL11-SPD-SL-ROAD-RED-CLEATS-Rubber-Pads-4-5d-Float-fit-SHIMANO-SM-SH11/291262572512?epid=710189250&hash=item43d09a27e0:g:1FUAAOSwT6pVwjzM:rk:19f:0

I got these Exustar just to try. I found they fit and look very close but not as finished. Only negative I found was that I had to tighten up my pedal tension because they were easier to disengage out of the pedal. I kept coming out of the pedal, I had to tighten them up to 90% for my liking anyways then I was great. I usually am at around 50%. I tried them on my road bike pedals and same thing just for comparison.

I will buy them again when I need new cleats though. Only used them for about 100 miles so far and they are good. Unless they wear super fast I will go this rout and save some cash.
Old 12-06-18, 10:09 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
In my experience, off-brand cleats do the job but perform less consistently than genuine Shimano. Some have required significant adjustment of the pedal tension, some are finicky to release, and some are slightly more difficult to engage. It's impossible to know what the issue will be from one set to the next. Because of such annoying inconsistencies and the little to no price difference with the genuine article, I've given up on generic or off-brand SPD cleats.

-Kedosto
Old 12-06-18, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
History, FYI..

3 bolt, It's actually a Look design, Shimano licences,
until the French company patent expired ..
Old 12-06-18, 03:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Amazon is also full of "Shimano-compatible" cleats of indeterminate provenance, mingled in with the real thing. I figured that the shoe-pedal interface was sufficiently important (based on the possible consequences of the cleat failing at an inopportune moment) that I'd spring for genuine Shimano cleats. As it turned out, Amazon prices for real Shimanos differed little from those at the LBS, so I bought local, where I could see what I was getting.
Nailed it. Sometimes it's not worth trying to save some $$.

/Thread
Old 12-06-18, 03:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Nailed it. Sometimes it's not worth trying to save some $$.

/Thread
Maybe if I was only going to use them for Zwifting. But if I needed to reliably engage (or more importantly, disengage), yeah no thank you.