Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Retiring the '98 S works HT... help!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 07:50 PM
Hawkphoto
Nikon Nemisis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Folks,

I have finally started riding regularly again after many years (kids). Having a blast out there, getting more comfortable, even leaving the ground again! My S Works HT has been (is) a good bike, but the shifting is... tired. The V-brakes are... great until its WET. The geometry is really upright (on top of the bike). 26" wheels, 3x8 gear train, blah blah

I have NO IDEA what is out there these days. I'm looking for some recommendations to help kickstart my hunt for my next bike!

2-3k (new or used)
HT or Trail Bike (I'm an aggressive XC guy, but I'm not going to hit 10' gaps)
Disc Brakes
27.5" or 29" I don't know!

I've never had a FS bike. If it climbs efficiently I would consider it for sure, but want to keep the weight down... No objection to HT as its all I've ever known AND stretches your dollar a bit as far as components go.

So, please, can you guys give me a short list of bikes you think I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

'98 S Works HT
Old 02-18-19, 08:36 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I just did this dance about three weeks ago and opted for this:

https://www.randombikeparts.com/coll...e-sram-11s-new

When you click it up, you will also get a pop up for 20% off. So far, I like it...haven't thrashed it very hard yet though. They have other sizes.

Like you, I decided to get back into MTBing...but the HT was not plush enough for my +60yo bones. Also I had in my head that I wanted carbon and a 1X. This bike hit all my requirements, at a reasonably frugal price. The only thing I'm going to add is a dropper post (because I can).
Old 02-18-19, 08:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
EVERYTHING has changed.

- New wheels sizes, 29 & 27.5, and a 27.5 Plus which allows really wide tires. 29 seems to be a good standard with some positive aspects. They rollover objects better and once up to speed stay there.
- Disc brakes. A good thing
- Tubeless tires and they are wide. You can run lower pressures and not pinch flat. With internal sealant that don’t flat much on you. The lower pressure means more rubber contact, thus better climbing and turning. No tubes means lighter as well.
- Wider rims allow wider tires, stronger too.
- 1X gearing, occasionally 2X front. Really wide cassette ranges mean no front shifting, so no need to plan ahead on the front shift, which was never as refined as the rear, to get up a hill.
- Really wide h-bars and short stems, that provide really good control. Sometimes an issue in ST with tight trees, so plan on that.
- Hydraulic dropper seatposts, remote from the h-bar, gets the seat out of the way on descents. It’s one of the things a lot of people comment on how much an improvement it can be. I’m skeptical only as I’ll learned how to get my butt off the rear on a 26.
- Long top tubes and short stems, so YOU REALLY NEED TO TRY A FEW BIKES !. Really, really important. The geometry of 29” wheels means a longer wheel base, steeper seatbtube angles, slacker heat tube angles and it all means the bikes handle completely different than 20-30 years ago.

Do the research, try a few.

FS is plush, better then 20 years ago but still heavier unless you go carbon and spend $2500 or so, you pay to get under 30 lbs. HT’s are cheaper and lighter and lots to be found in aluminum that are light and fast. You can easily get a 26 lbs Ht for $1600. I’m done with my 32 lbs Stumpjumper FS from ‘04, so am moving to an HT. I’m 63 and been riding 30 years but don’t ride much in rocks or on difficult terrain. Just ordered a Specialized Chisel Comp X1,

Thats a nice KHS Stormsedge ordered but ‘ya gotta know what will work before ordering mail order.

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-18-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 11:15 PM
Hawkphoto
Nikon Nemisis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to a couple shops today and actually test rode a stumpjumper 29er - holy crap I felt like i was flying an airplane or something! That thing is HUGE and I just felt like i was “along for the ride”. It was a size M and I’m only 5’6” so perhaps a size S would be better for me, but the guy there said it looked like the right size for me as he watched me ride it.

The wheelbase seemed so ridiculous. I suppose i could get used to anything, but I feel like 27.5 might be a better fit for me, a smaller frame too. I like to throw my bike around and tell it where to go...

i left feeling like the stumpjumper was way to much suspension for me. Im thinking maybe the epic with brain 2.0 would be a better fit. Anyhow the search has begun!
Old 02-20-19, 09:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkphoto
Went to a couple shops today and actually test rode a stumpjumper 29er - holy crap I felt like i was flying an airplane or something! That thing is HUGE and I just felt like i was “along for the ride”. It was a size M and I’m only 5’6” so perhaps a size S would be better for me, but the guy there said it looked like the right size for me as he watched me ride it.

The wheelbase seemed so ridiculous. I suppose i could get used to anything, but I feel like 27.5 might be a better fit for me, a smaller frame too. I like to throw my bike around and tell it where to go...

i left feeling like the stumpjumper was way to much suspension for me. Im thinking maybe the epic with brain 2.0 would be a better fit. Anyhow the search has begun!
Go back to the shop and try a Camber if they have one. Available in both 27.5 and 29 wheel sizes.
Old 02-20-19, 05:42 PM
Hawkphoto
Nikon Nemisis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Prj71, will check it out. They didn't have one but saw that one on the specialized site. Also LOVE the Santa Cruz bikes.

So, do you all think I should be looking into a FS bike with 4-6" travel? I'm 42 years old, the thought of a little cushion does sound nice, and I've always wanted one but never had one. But it seems overkill if I'm not dropping of big stuff, and gapping train tracks like I see on youtube haha. Or maybe it would boost my ability and I could start spending more time in the air? How do those bikes climb?

I need to test ride a lot more bikes but I'm thinking 27.5 is a good fit for me and my style of riding. Being a HT guy my whole life, my lines are intentional and I finesse the bike a lot to get the tires where I want them. I'm worried a big fat tire on a FS bike would make me completely sloppy out there. But would it matter? Would I just start having more fun? Hmmm
Old 02-20-19, 06:11 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Just so many options out there right now. So many good brands for modern bikes. It can get overwhelming. Do let us know what you end up with.
Love your old school Specialized! I have a bunch of older mtb's that I still ride.
I'm still old school with my full-sus 2011 Trek Fuel in 26". I love it and it has enough travel for me at 120mm.

IMG_7039 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Enjoy your hunt!