Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chisel Comp X1 vs Rockhopper Pro 1X vs X-Caliber 9 vs Honzo vs Ovverridde Carbon comp

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Chisel Comp X1 vs Rockhopper Pro 1X vs X-Caliber 9 vs Honzo vs Ovverridde Carbon comp

Old 04-17-19, 04:55 PM
pix530

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you guys give me recommendations between these bikes?
Old 04-17-19, 06:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Not really interested in doing all that research, but I can add some thoughts.

EDIT:, The Spec site initially showed me the ‘18’s. Chisel seems to have better frame, better forks and better brakes, plus the 148 boost rear hub as thru axle as compared to the RH.

Trek vs. Chisel, similar all around excepting that 2X on the Trek, vs. 1X on Chisel.

Note that that part of this is decision confirmation as I purchased a ‘19 Chisel in Feb. I’ve 8 rides on it and love it. I was skeptical of 1x, am now sold, works great and on a mt. bike makes sense as the shifts come fast and furious and sometimes you cannot anticipate a front shift and I’ve 30 years on triple mt. bikes. The Chisel is a pocket rocket, IMO. Climbs really, really well, I’ve Nobby Nic tubeless on them and traction is terrific. The overriding concern I had moving to 29 after decades on 26, and typically riding tight and twisty ST, was concern over how well 29 would take turns, but I find it’s as quick handling as I need. Rolls over everything, and the frame is as comfortable as the vintage steel HT I used as a comparison. Very happy with it.

similar

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-17-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 09:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Demo bikes until you find one you like. Focus on fit, when you do a demo. Asking what bike on forum will literally get you a pro/con comment on every bike made. You cannot go wrong with any of the current bikes.
Old 04-18-19, 11:29 AM
pix530

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was skeptical of 1x, am now sold, works great and on a mt. bike makes sense as the shifts come fast and furious and sometimes you cannot anticipate a front shift and I’ve 30 years on triple mt. bikes. The Chisel is a pocket rocket, IMO. Climbs really, really well, I’ve Nobby Nic tubeless on them and traction is terrific. The overriding concern I had moving to 29 after decades on 26, and typically riding tight and twisty ST, was concern over how well 29 would take turns, but I find it’s as quick handling as I need. Rolls over everything, and the frame is as comfortable as the vintage steel HT I used as a comparison. Very happy with it.
- Thank you for sharing your experience. I have 2x26 now, and my concerns are similar. Never had x1 and 29.
- guess x1 is modern and should work fine, so I eliminated Trek cause of x2, and DiamondBack due to geometry.

Think Chisel is right choose, and I found great deals on both x1 and expert. Not local unfortunately, so bike will be shipped.

Demo bikes until you find one you like. Focus on fit, when you do a demo. Asking what bike on forum will literally get you a pro/con comment on every bike made. You cannot go wrong with any of the current bikes.
- going to bike the ones I find suitable, I cant test them all, but while I was typing and based on my own research and previous answer, I am almost confident on Chisel now.
- I think the bike selection is part of the forum, and I try to learn on experience from other people who had same question as I do now.
- As I dont buy bikes every year, I need to make sure my research is right, fit is right and I enjoy what I buy fully.
Old 04-18-19, 12:04 PM
prj71

The only way to find if the fit is right and that you enjoy what you buy is to demo a bike or try renting one.

It's not something you can get from asking questions on a bike forum.
Old 04-18-19, 04:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The only way to find if the fit is right and that you enjoy what you buy is to demo a bike or try renting one.

It's not something you can get from asking questions on a bike forum.
Fit particularly.

I've purchased and owned 4 earlier 26" wheeled mt. bikes, as well as 12 road bikes, thus feel comfortable purchasing frames and building up or transferring components.

29" and 27.5" mt. bikes are COMPLETELY different bikes then any 26" I've ever owned and I could see that in the geometry charts. For 29", longer effective top tubes and super short stems. Really wide handlebars at 750mm or bigger, vs. 600mm of 15 years ago, wider affects reach.. Different head and seat tube angles, thus I was not doing mail order even though I could have saved some money, I just wasn't comfortable figuring out what was going to work.

FWIW, I was pretty much instantly sold on 1X even though I'm a gear head and value a well thought out chainring and cassette combo. I'm not a believer that front derailers suddenly started to suck. On a mt. bike and even though I only ride trails with short but occasionally steep hills, the ability to just slam thru rear gears quickly to get you up a hill, means no pre-planning about getting to the granny at the same time needing to go down the cassette. it simply works and I do not miss a front shifting system.

So good advice to demo before purchase.

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-18-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 09:13 AM
prj71

1x is the only way to go on a mountain bike. Wide range cassettes anywhere from 10-50 tooth and chain rings as small as 26-28 tooth...has all the gearing a mountain biker needs.

You can't even give away front derailleurs, front shifters and 2x/3x cranks these days. I tried on Facebook marketplace and craigslist a few years ago and had 0 interest in those items I was trying to unload. They ended up in the trash.
Old 04-22-19, 04:53 PM
pix530

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IKR, 1x seems to be the right way to go.