Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Boxes at the Berlin-Tegel Airport

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 03:30 PM
go slow in h20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We will be flying out of Berlin, Germany in August (after flying into Milan, Italy and biking for a while):

Does anyone know if it is easy and/or guaranteed to get bike boxes at the Berlin-Tegel airport? It is such a convenient option, but also wracks my nerves so (what if there aren't any boxes!!).

As a follow up: is there a good way to find out if boxes are available, i.e. how to contact the airline locally, which airline to ask?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-11, 07:01 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just call the airport. I can't recall if the boxes are supplied by the airport or the airline. If they do have boxes make sure that you take boxing tape along because they won't have it. I know that from experience.

Last edited by cbike; 05-23-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 06:26 AM
JesseD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone

This forum is really old, but I had a lot of trouble finding information online about taking a bike through Berlin Tegel Airport, so much that I had to make a special trip there just to figure out the situation. Since this ranks high on Google I thought I would post an update.

So, first things first: you can buy boxes at the post offices at the airport for about 20 Euros. It was a decent box, but it was a little small so I'm not sure that it would fit large bikes, at least without some serious dismantling. I have a small bike, and I had to take the front wheel off and remove the handlebars, but not take the forks out, but if it had been any smaller I would have had to.

It's possible to cycle to the airport, but I doubt bikes are allowed on the buses, which are the only public transport to the airport (why - this is Germany in 2019!?). It's also possible to take the subway to a station which is only a few km from the airport.

There is parking available at the airport. It's free, but outside, though it's just around the corner from what seemed like a police or security station, so I imagine it's pretty safe. There were a lot of bikes there, but I would suggesting locking it up fairly well (including the front wheel etc, so that nothing of value can be easily stolen).

To save the 20 Euros, it might be possible to ride your bike there, go back into the city, get a box and then take it out by bus, but the trip there and back will eat into that saving, not to mention the time. I would suggest calling ahead to check that the post office has them in stock though, just in case. Also, it was scheduled to open at 9, which was cutting it fine for my flight. Fortunately it opened a few minutes early, and I made it.

Hope this helps someone!
Old 07-22-19, 06:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
thanks for taking the time to put down the information, as you say, it may help someone.
Old 07-22-19, 06:47 AM
JesseD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem at all - thanks for the comment!