Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Any Cateye CS1000 trainer experts out there?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 02-18-14, 10:55 AM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Bikes: '84 Specialized Stumpjumper XT, '12 Felt TK2, '16 Bianchi Allroad, '22 Trek Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

Our track team has a *fleet* of about 20 Cateye CS1000 Cyclosimulators (aka the Psycho-Stimulator). They all seem to have their own issues. I'd like to restore as many of them, if possible, to their original functionality.

I've downloaded the manual. Looks as though spare parts are few and far between. Also, FWIW, I consider myself to have better than average mechanical skills and any tools that may be required.

So, does anybody out there have any maintenance/repair experience with these?

First issue to address is a flaky %grade display - does not step through 1 -10% - just displays 4%, 3%, 3%, then 4%.

Any suggestion as to where to start in the troubleshooting process?

Also, any recommended PM procedures, generally speaking?

Just looking to cut some time off of the learning curve - any help greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old 02-18-14, 12:47 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Bikes: '84 Specialized Stumpjumper XT, '12 Felt TK2, '16 Bianchi Allroad, '22 Trek Emonda SL5

xengravity - I got your PM but the system won't let me respond with a PM (I have less the 50 postings). So, to answer your question, we are also looking for those small plastic inserts that engage the skewers - not a single one has survived!
Old 02-18-14, 02:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I used one for a few years then gave it to a good friend.

- I would totally disregard the power readings on the display. I had a track bike with an SRM attached, and the numbers rarely coincided (300W on my SRM head unit wasn't 300W on the Cateye display). I never turned the unit on.
- If you do use the numbers, use them as relative measures for each individual machine. This is because the resistance is made by the cable adjusting how close the Eddy Current Resistance Unit thingy was to the other thingy (scientific term). Anyway, 1 cable could be a bit more stretched than the other. The lever is indexed, so if it's not calibrated, then it could be off. Think of an uncalibrated rear derailleur.
- If you want numbers maybe try the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. They have published a power band that is directly related to the speed you turn the trainer. Basically Xmph = Ypower. They even sell a speedometer that displays power.
- I would remove the wind resistance unit (the fan blades). It just makes a lot of noise and doesn't really provide much resistance. Maybe it cools the other side, but I don't think so. Mine worked fine after I removed mine.
- I would only use them for Sprint type efforts (standing starts, short efforts with negative splits (flip the lever for more resistance), etc...). For longer efforts a normal fluid trainer would be better, especially when using a road bike that way you can dial in the right cadence and torque combination.
- Sprinters love the fact that the resistance unit is so strong and the fork stand is so steady. I haven't seen a modern mag trainer that can provide nearly as much resistance. I'm talking: It can handle over 2,000w. Most other commercial fluid or mag trainers can't handle much over 1,000w.
- If you use a road bike on it, it will feel awful with the really light flywheel and the linear, notched resistance. It doesn't feel natural in any way.
- Cateye probably doesn't have much stock of replacement parts...if any.
- You can engage track nuts without using the plastic inserts. I didn't have any on mine.

Sprinters would buy them from you.

I would't bother scavenging parts from other machines to make a 100% perfect machine. If the resistance unit works and the copper disk isn't warped, it's useful.
Old 02-19-14, 12:04 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Originally Posted by carleton
I used one for a few years then gave it to a good friend.

- I would totally disregard the power readings on the display. I had a track bike with an SRM attached, and the numbers rarely coincided (300W on my SRM head unit wasn't 300W on the Cateye display). I never turned the unit on.

Agreed - one of my teammates has an SRM on her Dolan. Looks like the Cateye is optimistic to the tune of 100 - 150W at a full load of approx. 1200W.

- If you do use the numbers, use them as relative measures for each individual machine. This is because the resistance is made by the cable adjusting how close the Eddy Current Resistance Unit thingy was to the other thingy (scientific term). Anyway, 1 cable could be a bit more stretched than the other. The lever is indexed, so if it's not calibrated, then it could be off. Think of an uncalibrated rear derailleur.

Thanks - sounds like at least checking the copper disc for runout and proper clearance would be worth the time.

- If you want numbers maybe try the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. They have published a power band that is directly related to the speed you turn the trainer. Basically Xmph = Ypower. They even sell a speedometer that displays power.

Our team actually took delivery of a Wattbike about three weeks ago. Everybody sorta is getting a feel for it right now but it should be a good source of reliable data. Unfortunately, we only have one, so seat time for every team member is limited.

- I would only use them for Sprint type efforts (standing starts, short efforts with negative splits (flip the lever for more resistance), etc...). For longer efforts a normal fluid trainer would be better, especially when using a road bike that way you can dial in the right cadence and torque combination.

Our training on these is virtually all sprint efforts, so we're good-to-go in that respect.

- Sprinters love the fact that the resistance unit is so strong and the fork stand is so steady. I haven't seen a modern mag trainer that can provide nearly as much resistance. I'm talking: It can handle over 2,000w. Most other commercial fluid or mag trainers can't handle much over 1,000w.

Yes, if Sir Chris Hoy can't break one, I'm not sure anybody can

- You can engage track nuts without using the plastic inserts. I didn't have any on mine.

Yes!

I would't bother scavenging parts from other machines to make a 100% perfect machine. If the resistance unit works and the copper disk isn't warped, it's useful.

Duly noted!
Thanks again, carleton, for your input - greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old 04-17-14, 07:41 AM
JMCX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey58
Our track team has a *fleet* of about 20 Cateye CS1000 Cyclosimulators (aka the Psycho-Stimulator). They all seem to have their own issues. I'd like to restore as many of them, if possible, to their original functionality.

I've downloaded the manual. Looks as though spare parts are few and far between. Also, FWIW, I consider myself to have better than average mechanical skills and any tools that may be required.

So, does anybody out there have any maintenance/repair experience with these?

First issue to address is a flaky %grade display - does not step through 1 -10% - just displays 4%, 3%, 3%, then 4%.

Any suggestion as to where to start in the troubleshooting process?

Also, any recommended PM procedures, generally speaking?

Just looking to cut some time off of the learning curve - any help greatly appreciated!

Mike
I can help walk you through fixing the grade % on the displays. If you're still interested, just email me at jcalabrasi@gmail.com

Last edited by JMCX; 04-17-14 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-18-14, 01:57 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Originally Posted by JMCX
I can help walk you through fixing the grade % on the displays. If you're still interested, just email me at jcalabrasi@gmail.com
Email sent, thanks!

Mike
Old 07-11-14, 12:50 PM
kiwibykr

Bikes: Guerciotti something- '79-'84?; 2011 sl2 roubaix; 2008 avanti giro permanently mounted on a cateye cs1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gidday, does anyone know- does the ring that passes through the slot of the speed sensor pickup need to be "complete" for the sensor to pick up the signal? My speedo and therefore distance functions have stopped registering and it appears the ringwhich has slots cut in it (i guess it is an optical sensor rather than a magnetic one) has bits missing off it but i didnt see any bits lying anywhere, cant figure out how it may have got damaged.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-19, 09:30 AM
azaref

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cateye CS 1000

Mikey58

I have a Cateye Cyclesimulator CS 1000. Great condition for parts. All works except for the electronic device which was cracked in a recent move.

Free to you, an enthusiast, if you want to pick it up.

I see that it is not easy to find parts.......
Old 04-01-19, 02:28 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If anyone out there wanted to dispose of one let me know.... UK
Old 04-15-20, 05:47 PM
RandallSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azaref
Mikey58

I have a Cateye Cyclesimulator CS 1000. Great condition for parts. All works except for the electronic device which was cracked in a recent move.

Free to you, an enthusiast, if you want to pick it up.

I see that it is not easy to find parts.......
I would love to get two little parts from you. About a year ago I moved and in the process I lost the two silver Clamp Cones that attach the rear wheel to the trainer. Without those, of course, it is unusable and I have been desperate to get some training in on cold days. I would be willing to pay for the parts and shipping by any possible means, if there is some way I could get those from you. Thanks -- Randall Smith
Old 11-15-20, 12:34 PM
azaref

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RandallSmith: While cleaning in my garage today I found one of these silver clamp cones and one intact plastic insert. Send me note at zaref@gmail.com if you want them. I think, with a little time, I might find the other side. Not sure about the plastic insert as I broke a few over the years. After a while I improvised with either a (i) a small piece of an old yoga mat, (ii) a few lays cut from my wife's old dishwashing gloves, etc. Enough rubber to hold it in place and not vibrate. At one point I bought extras from the company but they no longer stick anything...
Old 11-15-20, 08:00 PM
RandallSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azaref
RandallSmith: While cleaning in my garage today I found one of these silver clamp cones and one intact plastic insert. Send me note at zaref@gmail.com if you want them. I think, with a little time, I might find the other side. Not sure about the plastic insert as I broke a few over the years. After a while I improvised with either a (i) a small piece of an old yoga mat, (ii) a few lays cut from my wife's old dishwashing gloves, etc. Enough rubber to hold it in place and not vibrate. At one point I bought extras from the company but they no longer stick anything...
Had your message came about a week earlier, I might be $900 richer. I had given up on anybody responding and/or finding the silver clamps and with the impending onslaught of cold temperature, bought a Wahoo Core trainer. I’ve used it twice. It’s great, but very expensive!
Old 11-26-21, 09:18 AM
Rooni

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the Cateye do you need a turbo spindle or quick release for mounting a track bike or can you mount a track bike to it with a track bike wheel nut axle?
Old 11-26-21, 10:01 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooni
Regarding the Cateye do you need a turbo spindle or quick release for mounting a track bike or can you mount a track bike to it with a track bike wheel nut axle?
I used the track wheel nut. Mine rocked a tiny amount, bit not enough to bother anything.
Old 11-27-21, 05:27 AM
Rooni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might be a long shot but do you still have a clamp cone with plastic insert available? Thank you!
Old 12-13-21, 03:53 PM
wzzzz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these up for grabs, good condition all working - except grade goes 1,2,3,4,5,7,10 easy fix by all accounts and one plastic insert missing the other only half there.

cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_20211213_191643_8dc6a49c1fbb57cbfd140abfac4fc7c2d1552f32.jpg
Old 12-16-21, 06:47 AM
Rooni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wzzzz
I have one of these up for grabs, good condition all working - except grade goes 1,2,3,4,5,7,10 easy fix by all accounts and one plastic insert missing the other only half there.

cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1493/img_20211213_191643_8dc6a49c1fbb57cbfd140abfac4fc7c2d1552f32.jpg
Thanks, I am actually just after one of the metal cone clamps. Are you UK based?