Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Speedsleev wedge bag review

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 06:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10994 Post(s)
Liked 7,519 Times in 4,207 Posts
Speedsleev wedge bag review

I detest wedge bags, but have them on all my bikes because I haven't found a solution I like better.
I don't use the absurdly tiny ones because at that point, why? All mine are .5 liter up to 9 liter, but most are around the typical medium sized wedge bag.

I hate how the wedge bags swing and wanted to get a lezyne tool roll with boa lace as that seemed like a neat elegant option, but countless reviews show its hit/miss on gravel and stuff falls out.

Enter Speedsleev.

It is dead simple with 2 velcro bands that attach to the saddle rails and under the bag. There is no swaying and its quick to attach and detach.

There are 3 sizes and I use the largest size(Ranger) that's meant for mtb use because it really isn't big. There is a main pocket, two smaller pockets below that are for co2, and thin pockets on each side of the main pocket that can hold a small multitude or various spare bits.
I hold a spare tube, 2 tire levers, a regular sized multitool, chain quicklink, spare tubeless valve, and id/cash/card. There is room for more, you can see in the pics below.

Good-
- doesn't sway at all. Thats been mentioned, but it bears repeatino. Its as secure as you want to make it.
- doesn't attach to the seat post sopostextra velcro to snag on shorts.
- quality materials. Waterproof due to materials, no zippers, and hooded design.
- fast to attach and detach. There are no buckles to feed thru guides or whatever else like that.

Bad-
- at $30, its easily the most expensive everyday wedge bag that I've purchased. Many might view this as a common or even low price and if so, then it isn't a bad for you so ignore this..
- even the largest size is relatively small. it would be awesome to have a larger size that can hold keys, wallet, snack, whatever. But perhaps that would introduce swaying into the mix.
- there are designated spots for items. This works great if you use what the company suggests, but is dumb for those who don't use the exact things the company suggests. I don't use co2 cartridges, so a spot for them is worthless. Luckily it works out that what I need to have in there fits fine, in spite of the specific pockets.
- to access stuff, you remove the bag. As mentioned, its a quick process and really not slower than zipping or unrolling any of the popular wedge bags. But I could see it annoying some.

If you hate wedge bags that sway and don't carry a bunch of stuff, consider this.

To be clear, a feedbag is on my gravel bike so bars/gummies/fruit goes in the feedbag which allows me to not need much space in the wedge.

feedbag
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-22-20, 10:46 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I also have a tolerate/hate relationship with wedge bags. Might give this one a go.
Old 04-22-20, 07:45 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I'd love to find a small, affordable frame bag that mounts under the top tube at the steerer tube that can carry a tube, CO2 cartridge, tool, etc... but, as yet, have not found one that doesn't seem to restrict or block the front water bottle or bulge out causing an impediment in pedaling. Until then it's an under the seat wedge bag for me. Might give this one a go if the one I've selected doesn't work out. Thanks!
Old 04-23-20, 06:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7010 Post(s)
Liked 11,009 Times in 4,708 Posts
mstateglfr : You might be able to save a little space (and hence get more stuff in the bag) by removing your spare tube from the box, rolling it up as tightly as possible, and wrapping it in saran wrap to keep it tight.

As for the saddle pack: I have several "lunch bag" style tool bags, which the mfr sadly no longer offers. Holds plenty of gear, takes varying loads, accommodates any items (no slots for specific items), and stays tightly attached to saddle rails. They were $25 each.

Those saddle packs with the boa straps seem like a case of over-engineering. No need to make it so complicated.
Old 04-23-20, 08:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10994 Post(s)
Liked 7,519 Times in 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
mstateglfr : You might be able to save a little space (and hence get more stuff in the bag) by removing your spare tube from the box, rolling it up as tightly as possible, and wrapping it in saran wrap to keep it tight.

As for the saddle pack: I have several "lunch bag" style tool bags, which the mfr sadly no longer offers. Holds plenty of gear, takes varying loads, accommodates any items (no slots for specific items), and stays tightly attached to saddle rails. They were $25 each.

Those saddle packs with the boa straps seem like a case of over-engineering. No need to make it so complicated.
OK, so thanks for suggesting the saran wrap tube idea. I've thought about it before, but haven't done it because I wanted to have something that protects the tube from abrasion while sitting there and never being used. I thought of saran wrap, bit wasn't sure if it would be weak. Since someone else has thought it too, maybe it isn't too odd and ill give it a try.

Yeah, the boa bag is a bit of overengineering...though since there are so many poor reviews, maybe its a case of underengineering!
It just looks like it would be cool to have.
Old 04-28-20, 01:16 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Old 04-28-20, 02:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I will chime in and say I will never go without speedsleev ever again. I got a Ranger S for my road bike and its a great bag. I carry a multi tool, spare tube, patch kit, tire boot, two tire levers, two co2, and a c02 inflator. I mean its a tight fit but it fits and its very compact. I was searching for a small bad that would not block my lights and this was the ticket. Now the price they get for them is a bit much but I have to admit it is so worth the price!

I love these little bags.
Old 04-28-20, 02:21 PM
ronin4740

The Coupon put me over the top. The wedge pack I bought refuses to stay at the top of the seat post - it slides down and blocks the tail light which is a problem. Sold!
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 04-28-20, 06:14 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by ronin4740
The Coupon put me over the top. The wedge pack I bought refuses to stay at the top of the seat post - it slides down and blocks the tail light which is a problem. Sold!

You won't be disappointed. Mine stays tight and most important quit too. Its a great little bag! Can't praise it enough.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-01-20, 09:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7010 Post(s)
Liked 11,009 Times in 4,708 Posts
mstateglfr : Earlier in this thread, I referenced a good, inexpensive saddle bag that I thought was no longer available....But I was wrong. Here it is, in case anyone is interested. For $25 and a few bucks for shipping, it's hard to go wrong.
Old 05-01-20, 06:29 PM
ronin4740

So. Much. Better!
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 05-01-20, 07:19 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

ronin4740 it looks great!!!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 08-26-20, 07:24 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for your review and pictures. I've been debating getting a larger SpeedSleev for gravel & mountain bikes. Last year a bike I bought included the small road SpeedSleev and I love it. It can even fit a 700x35 tube for gravel rides (my gravel bike runs 700x37 tubeless) along with 2xCO2, multi-tool, air chuck, quick patch, chain breaker, and quick link.

A larger bag would be nice for longer gravel rides, or just when colder weather comes along and things like vest or arm warmers take up pocket space I think I'll be able to squeeze an extra gel or clif bar in with the basic stuff. And on the mountain bike, I prefer not having a camel bike for shorter 90 minute rides but have not found a saddle bag I'm completely happy with. Some bounce around or rub my legs; I tried a roll with separate velcro straps that is good until I hit some real bumpy sections at which point I've had the roll fall out and bounce of my tire.

And using the FIRSTORDER20 coupon code, the cost was $23.20 which I think is completely reasonable. Yes, you can get some bags for the mid to upper $teens, but many bags or wraps from companies like Fizik, Arundel, Ortlieb, Leyzyne, Topeak and others start at $30 and go up from there.

As for the "Bad" bullet points in the initial review, I completely understand where the poster is coming from. However, the SpeedSleev is made for a more specific purpose -- to keep things as compact as possible for items that, if you are lucky, you may only need to pull out once every two months. In that view, the separate compartments for tube, CO2, etc. make sense to help hold things tight. If a rider uses a pump and doesn't carry CO2, then maybe the SpeedSleev isn't the bag for that person. That said, I think SpeedSleev could use their basic design to create a slightly larger, more open bag even if it required an additional strap. One of the things I like most about the small road one I have is how tight and secure it is. I've used additional velcro straps on my more traditional saddle bags just to help hold them in place. I think SpeedSleev's design with just a loose bag and larger velcro strap could be done with more volume while still being able to cinch everything down nice and tight.

I also find that taking the bag off the bike, pulling things out, restuffing and returning to the bike is no more difficult than bags where there may be a big zipper but I'm still digging into it or trying to restuff it as it swings off the saddle rails. To each their own and not saying one is better than the other.

Order has been placed. Unfortunately, the black and carbon colors are sold out. I got orange, instead. Luckily both my gravel and mountain bikes have orange accents so I won't clash terribly (unless I ever use it on my road bike which is primarily satin black with just a few dark red paint slashes on rear triangle, fork and top tube).
Old 09-18-20, 11:08 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
So now that I've used the larger mountain bike sized SpeedSleev for a couple of weeks, I need to change my opinion to be more in line with what mstateglfr was originally saying regarding the side pockets.

Firstly, I still love these things. Best saddle bags I've ever used Surprisingly big inside compared to how compact they get strapped up to the saddle rails. I can stuff a 29x2.25 tube, two 20 oz C02s, a tire lever, inflator, quick patch kit, multi-tool inside of it and still have room for my car keys and a spare gel pack. And everything sits nice and tight so there is no rattling around and I never, ever feel the bag against my legs which would sometimes happen with more traditional bags I've used as they'd move a bit from side to side.

But on the mountain bike sized one, the small pockets for C02 and tire levers are too short so that those items cannot be fully stuffed into the pockets. With 20oz C02 for the mountain bike, or even 16oz for the gravel bike, the cartridges stick out quite a bit. They are secure, not thinking they will fall out, but it makes it harder to get the cover over them and then you can't cinch things down as tight. Same is true of tire levers. So, my C02 and levers are going in the main pocket with the tube, inflator, etc. The side pocket for a multi-tool works just fine; I've even tried it with three different ones just for the heck of it. So I do now think that if those pockets can't be made deeper, then they should be gotten rid of and that extra space be used for the main pocket. Maybe add two elastic straps inside to hold them in place.
Old 09-21-20, 09:19 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
This cheap 2L waterproof wedge bag from amazon and 2.5L frame bag from ebay. Both great values so far. Replaced the velco straps on the frame bag with paracord.