Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wristwatch: Appropriate, if not perfect watch for bicycle rides.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wristwatch: Appropriate, if not perfect watch for bicycle rides.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 02:50 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Back in the day I had the Casio LCD. You could get them in plastic or metal. Water resistant, stopwatch features. I think these may be available still or again.

Wasn’t there an Ironman watch?
Ironman was a Timex brand. My son had a few of them when he was a runner during high school.

The Casio LCD watches have been around since the early 1980s. I bought a metal one for my dad in 1983. The basic models haven't changed much since then, so they wouldn't look out of place on a vintage bike. I always wore one for work, since they were cheap to replace when they got damaged, and I could wear it through the metal detectors when going through security. The last one I bought before retiring had a ten year battery, but the band did not have the same rating.

I don't like the sweaty feeling and tan lines, so I don't normally wear a watch when biking. I have an old Bulova analog watch that would look the part, but it needs servicing.
Old 02-13-24, 02:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
My watch just tells the time. Good enough for me. Casio seems to be the most practical brand, and Seiko is similar with a higher price and bit of panache. I got this at the local watch repair shop for $30. Soon afterwards, it needed a new battery and strap, but that was the risk I took, and I'm still happy. It's thin and light.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-13-24, 03:59 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Have had a Seiko Kinetic Auto-Relay for more than 10 years. Still keeps perfect time despite being constantly worn. Has large, easy to see numbers. Have worn cycling, using nail gun or operating power equipment in my wood shop, when doing car repairs/maintenance. It has some scratches and a metal blob on the case at 1 o'clock(from an accidental car battery arc). I did replace the crystal a couple years ago, so it still looks pretty good, but was told capacitor could fail soon. No battery, wearer's motion generates electricity that is stored in a capacitor to power a quartz movement, so no mechanical winder mechanism, which makes it less heavy than an autowinder. The auto-relay feature lets it go to sleep but still keep time for up to 4 years when no motion. Model I have is still available N.O.S. on the Bay, maybe I should pick up a spare.

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 02-13-24 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add pic
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 02-13-24, 06:52 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 253 Posts
Perfect? Not really but it's the one I have and it's easy to see on a ride and I don't worry about water damaging it.

Likes For Trav1s:
Old 02-13-24, 07:14 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I wear a vintage (refurbed) HMT watch from India. For under 25$, I got a mechanical watch that matches the spirit of my bicycle choices (vintage, mechanical). and one that I don't have to worry about ruining the watches collectability.
Old 02-13-24, 08:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Casio triple sensor titanium that has been on my arm for 20+ years

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: