Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Nashbar ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 06:54 AM
brudford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Nashbar ?

I know Bike Nashbar was bought a few years back by Performance Bike but what happened to the coupons and Sunday night e-mails I would get with the 20-30% off . I do not buy from Performance because their prices are out of control . I have been buying from Nashbar from back when Arnie Nashbar started his Company and they still had a retail store in Youngstown Ohio . I guess I will just buy from another vendor if Perfomance Bike has ruined Nashbar for me with their pricing structure ?
Old 10-24-17, 07:26 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by brudford
I know Bike Nashbar was bought a few years back by Performance Bike but what happened to the coupons and Sunday night e-mails I would get with the 20-30% off . I do not buy from Performance because their prices are out of control . I have been buying from Nashbar from back when Arnie Nashbar started his Company and they still had a retail store in Youngstown Ohio . I guess I will just buy from another vendor if Perfomance Bike has ruined Nashbar for me with their pricing structure ?
They announced recently they were going to stop all the coupons and such. From what I've seen the current pricing is about equivalent to what you could previously get with a coupon - which you may have had to wait for.
Old 10-24-17, 07:28 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
You are at least one acquisition behind.
Performance bought Nashbar, and Fuji Bikes bought Performance.

It is pretty amazing that they cut the coupons, something that was disastrous to JC Penny. You just don't do that when your clientel is all about the emotion high of getting the lowest price possible.
Old 10-24-17, 07:31 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have no complaints with them. They regularly run sales and specials. Got some great clothing & jerseys in their bargain bin recently.
I've bought from Performance too. They may be a little higher on some things but I haven't experienced "out of control" prices you mention. I DO like their Performance Ultra Shorts and they've gotten a bit "proud" of them. Worse of all, the sizes changed from one year to the next. What was perfect is now a bit small. But that's apparently an industry wide problem.
Old 10-24-17, 07:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Well covered here: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...pon-sales.html

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
They regularly run sales and specials.
No they don't, at least WRT sitewide 20-30% off coupons. That was the whole reason for the question.
Old 10-24-17, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by brudford
I know Bike Nashbar was bought a few years back by Performance Bike but what happened to the coupons and Sunday night e-mails I would get with the 20-30% off

Sometimes it helps to scroll down the first page of a forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...pon-sales.html
Old 10-24-17, 07:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Good lord- its like some dont even look at the actual listed prices and just assume that if a coupon/discount isnt involved, then they arent getting a good deal.

Look at the actual pricing of products and compare them to other retailers, then decide where you want to buy. Also keep in mind that Nashbar has a price match policy for goods they carry that are priced lower elsewhere.
Old 10-24-17, 07:39 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Well covered here: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...pon-sales.html

No they don't, at least WRT sitewide 20-30% off coupons. That was the whole reason for the question.

I must get a different mailing but I regularly get emails with specials 50-75% off...just like every other mail order company in the world.

Shrug...
Old 10-24-17, 07:40 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Good lord- its like some dont even look at the actual listed prices and just assume that if a coupon/discount isnt involved, then they arent getting a good deal.

Look at the actual pricing of products and compare them to other retailers, then decide where you want to buy. Also keep in mind that Nashbar has a price match policy for goods they carry that are priced lower elsewhere.
^^^^That
Old 10-24-17, 08:09 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I must get a different mailing but I regularly get emails with specials 50-75% off...just like every other mail order company in the world.
They do seem to still run some manufacturer/category sales, but nothing like they used to. Most of those percentages off are simply what they sell for on any day, the percentage off being regular retail versus inflated MSRP. They did that even before the changeover.
Old 10-24-17, 10:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
As jevnvk mentioned in the other thread, a lot of advertising is perception, and so is a lot of buyer satisfaction.
It is fine to be all rational and factual ... but if you want to do business with the vast majority of Americans who think "being rational" means using a ration--and haven't even heard or a ratio, let alone "reason" except as a synonym for "excuse" ....

Look at the actual pricing of products and compare them to other retailers, then decide where you want to buy.
Another important issue is attracting people to your site. If customers know that there might be a biog coupon sale any day of the week, they are more likely to check the site ... and every time the open the site, the site has a chance to sell. If they only visit the site when they want something specific, a lot of impulse sales go away ...
Also keep in mind that Nashbar has a price match policy for goods they carry that are priced lower elsewhere.
Which is meaningless because everyone else sells at a higher price.

The new Nashbar might work, or they might switch back. Who knows? I am glad for the change, simply because I was too likely to check in, see a great deal, buy something I wanted but didn't need, and then buy three more things to get free shipping.
Old 10-24-17, 11:43 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I have no complaints with them. They regularly run sales and specials. Got some great clothing & jerseys in their bargain bin recently.
I've bought from Performance too. They may be a little higher on some things but I haven't experienced "out of control" prices you mention. I DO like their Performance Ultra Shorts and they've gotten a bit "proud" of them. Worse of all, the sizes changed from one year to the next. What was perfect is now a bit small. But that's apparently an industry wide problem.
I agree with the sizes being smaller. I ordered some Performance shorts recently in a large. I'm 180#. They are too tight. I could use at least an XL. My previous shorts from there were L.
Old 10-24-17, 12:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nashbar still advertises discounts, via the website and email list. But the major change is they eliminated the short deadline pressure hysteria. With few exceptions the discounts are available 24/7, as long as the item remains in stock.

That's a good thing.

Nashbar probably analyzed browsing patterns for those of us who logged in while shopping, or allowed tracking cookies, etc. I allow these for vendors I support, including Nashbar, Jenson, Amazon and others. It helps them and helps me to get notified of good sales on items I'm interested in.

Nashbar probably realized some of us were repeatedly looking at specific items but not buying, in part due to the time spent on accumulating enough items to reach the $49 limit for free shipping. Often I'd miss the deadline on the main item that interested me because I was wasting time trying to fill the basket with enough stuff to reach $49. Then the coupon deadline expired and I'd scratch the whole session without buying anything.

With the no-nonsense scheme I'm more likely to buy from Nashbar again. It doesn't need to be the lowest price on every item. As long as it's what I need and includes enough items I want, but don't need, to make the $49 limit, I'm satisfied.

Same problem with Amazon Prime for same-day delivery too. It's a hassle reaching the $35 limit by the noon deadline. On top of that, recently the same-day delivery has been unreliable. Last year it was very reliable and usually arrived in early afternoon. More recently we're lucky if the delivery is by the evening, and sometimes it doesn't arrive at all. So I've stopped worrying about same-day delivery and just settled for the usual free two-day delivery. Occasionally I'll accept Amazon's other incentives for no-rush delivery ($1-$5 toward other Amazon Prime services).
Old 10-24-17, 12:27 PM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by dieselgoat
I agree with the sizes being smaller. I ordered some Performance shorts recently in a large. I'm 180#. They are too tight. I could use at least an XL. My previous shorts from there were L.
That was exactly my experience as well.