Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rust protection - unspeakable experiments

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-23, 01:39 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts

Clearly everyone is concerned about removing rust from steel but I've been working on growing rust cuz, eh, it's winter and cuz I can. I've been intrigued, lately, with the use of tung oil for treating rust spots on my bikes. I've sealed two frames with multiple coats of boiled linseed oil which seems to work but each coat takes too long to "dry". I've also tried tung oil on a few things (like axe heads and hammers) and that seems to work nicely and does not take very long to dry between coats. So, being winter I decided to be more "scientific" about it and evaluate how tung oil performs in "the wild" vs unprotected iron.

Instead of recycling a cast iron brake rotor I used a wire brush to scrub the braking surface of all rust, nothing but bare cast iron. I coated 1/3 of that surface with tung oil, two coats, and left the rest. Once dry I took a photo. On February 1st, I flopped it down in the weeds next to the shop door, unprotected from the elements. Truth be told it is on a north facing slope so does not get much direct sun but does get all the rain, dew and winter mix. That position probably extends the times the rotor is wet as the sun does not help much. I took another photo on March 1st. See for yourself.

Don't get too geeky about the relative shine as I didn't get too geeky about the sun angle. I've no reason to think the tung oil "yellowed" the iron. It did change the reflectivity so sun angle and camera angle highlighted the coated sector.

One month out in the elements. I'll take additional photos each month for a few, until it gets boring. No question the tung oil helps a lot, even with full time exposure. Far more exposure than my bike frames get.. Now to see how it holds up with extend exposure.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-03-23, 02:32 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Interesting! Was it a 'pure' tung oil, or the stuff from HD/Lowe's etc that has 'driers' in it? IIRC, tung oil is a 'polymerizing' oil, so should become more or less a very thin plastic-y film.
Old 03-03-23, 02:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Is tung oil the next framesaver?

I should run a test like that with the AMSOil HD Metal Protector I've been using to framesave.
Old 03-03-23, 02:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Coming from Central Texas and then living a few years in Galveston taught me allot about Rust. I resurrected a UO-8 that had been stored outside less than a quarter mile from the waves. The inside of the frame had been treated with 50/50 Denatured Alcohol and Linseed oil and it worked.

I also saw Penitrol being used on metal equipment that was going to be stored before a final paint scheme was decided. People who live close to salt water are well educated in rust and its prevention and treatment. Here is a link...

Old 03-03-23, 04:51 PM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is tung oil the next framesaver?

I should run a test like that with the AMSOil HD Metal Protector I've been using to framesave.
I think tung oil and BLO were, maybe, the first framesavers. None of this hoy ploy fancy modern chemistry for this ole man 😵‍💫. Time will tell but that rotor has already seen far worse treatment than my bikes will ever get.

Yes, the stuff I used had driers in it. If the mixture dries in a day then it’s easy to apply multiple coats. IIRC when I treated my Voyageur with BLO, laced with a bit of OMS, I applied 10 or 12 very thin coats. I had a couple of winter months to do it. My “office” smelled great for that time.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-03-23, 04:56 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
I use marine grade corrosion inhibitor from the local boat shop. Protects engine components in salt water environment, so definitely good enough for the inside of my bike tubes and readily available.

Cool experiment though! Coincidentally, I need to do a brake job on the family van in the next few months, maybe i'll follow your lead and see how my choice holds up!
Old 04-02-23, 04:47 AM
Prowler 

update: 2 months out in the winter weather. Total neglect but the tung oil seems to be holding up well. This is already FAR beyond any level of neglect any of my bikes will ever experience. I'm quite happy but I'll let the abuse continue. Spring has sprung here so less cold and frost but more rain and dew. We'll see next month.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 04-02-23, 06:04 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Thanks for the update! Inspired in part by this I just gave a stripped and bare-steel Holdsworth the tung oil treatment. I diluted it a little bit with citrus solvent so it would apply on a little easier, brushed it on, wiped down lightly with a rag. Repeated three times with about a day between each coat, then waxed (I'm not sure the wax is necessary/does anything, but I had it, so....). My intention in doing this was to give the frame some protection so I can ride it this season while I decide on paint for next winter, but I'm actually really starting to like the raw steel look- it's a kind of elegant 'rat-rod'/steam-punk look- so it's possible I may just keep it like this. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to take some photos of the bike later today.
Old 04-02-23, 06:19 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I have used rustoil and kf ,which gave me good results for protecting chromed surfaces. When I buy a frame,I always inspect the condition of the bottom bracket,seat tube and steerer tube.
Old 04-02-23, 06:48 AM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 108 Posts
I use Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rustor rust encapsulator or amber anti rust, applying it with there 24" extension hose nozzle, the nozzle has 4 openings that create a 360 degree spray pattern. Basically feed the hose in the frame and spray as your pulling the hose out.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-he...ce=google&wv=4

https://www.eastwood.com/aerosol-noz...ce=google&wv=4
Old 04-02-23, 07:15 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Few years back someone over at MTBR did a controlled comparison between Corrosion X HD, Frame Saver, WD-40 Corrosion Inhibitor, Boeshield, Amsoil Heavy duty metal protector and Fluid Film

Most were totally effective under normal conditions, but really, chromoly steel is pretty rust resistant. The author eventually graduated to applying salt, and then battery acid.

it’s a long thread, but here are the results. Scroll up for photos. https://www.mtbr.com/threads/anti-co...#post-13693944
Likes For fliplap:
Old 05-03-23, 06:10 PM
Prowler 

Following along, the rotor has now been out in the weather, full time for 3 months. The lilac bush this sits under is full of leaves and flowers so it does not see any sun. But sees plenty of weeds and damp and rain and dew, and a spot of bird doo. For iron or steel, pretty miserable condition. Seems to be doing well though, doncha think? Back again early June.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 05-03-23, 07:01 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Following along, the rotor has now been out in the weather, full time for 3 months. The lilac bush this sits under is full of leaves and flowers so it does not see any sun. But sees plenty of weeds and damp and rain and dew, and a spot of bird doo. For iron or steel, pretty miserable condition. Seems to be doing well though, doncha think? Back again early June.

I see no reason why I wouldn't also apply rust inhibitors like this to other steel components on my bike....right? I don't see how they could harm aluminum if they got caught in the spray.

Great thread, btw

I wonder about which framesaver is most earth-friendly? I would be willing to bet some of the most effective ones are also ones that introduce PTFE-like compounds into the environment.

Don't mean to derail the thread, and I'm not passing judgement on anyone who uses the stuff. I have used stuff that contains PTFE, and will certainly will in the future. Just a thought.

Last edited by Piff; 05-03-23 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 12:29 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I see no reason why I wouldn't also apply rust inhibitors like this to other steel components on my bike....right? I don't see how they could harm aluminum if they got caught in the spray.

Great thread, btw

I wonder about which framesaver is most earth-friendly? I would be willing to bet some of the most effective ones are also ones that introduce PTFE-like compounds into the environment.

Don't mean to derail the thread, and I'm not passing judgement on anyone who uses the stuff. I have used stuff that contains PTFE, and will certainly will in the future. Just a thought.
AFAIK there's no PTFEs in either Tung oil (pure is certainly devoid of them) or a blend with BLO and solvents...or with just BLO ("Boiled" Linseed Oil which contains both solvent and chemical "drying agents").
But if you are concerned with using any "industrial products" such as petroleum-distilled solvents or resins then a pure vegetable-derived oil like Tung or Linseed (if you can find it) would be the closest thing to "vegan".
Oils without additives will take a looooong time to fully cure, but that would not be much of a concern inside a steel bicycle tube. It might be if applied to exterior surfaces.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-04-23, 12:42 PM
ehcoplex 

I’ve sourced pure/organic linseed oil from solventfreepaint.com and pure tung oil from realmilkpaint.com
Neither cheap, but good stuff. The tung dries much, much, much faster…
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 05-06-23, 06:21 PM
ehcoplex 

I put a few coats of pure tung oil on my stripped-to-raw-steel Holdsworth Pro a couple months ago. I don't ride this one in the wet/rain, but it does live in a kinda damp basement. I've been keeping my eye on it to see if flash/surface rusting starts to happen. There was one part of the top tube that started getting some rust spotting- I must missed it with some of the oiling. Scotch-brite'd it and gave the area a couple coats. Obviously it hasn't been very long, but so far holding up really well I think...

Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-29-23, 03:24 PM
Prowler 

Its been 7 months for this cast iron rotor out in the weather, weeds and dead leaves. I think I'll call it quits. The treated section is starting to rust a bit. I'll never have a bike that will suffer such treatment. I'm impressed with the results.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 08-30-23, 10:26 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I am wondering about treating a bare frame with Tung oil I tryied WD-40 but it needed refresh every year or so.
1983 Trek 610 60 cm (24") on Flickr
Old 08-30-23, 10:50 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by SJX426
I am wondering about treating a bare frame with Tung oil I tryied WD-40 but it needed refresh every year or so.
I'd only rate the tung-oil treatment I did on my Holdsworth (see above in thread) as 'so-so'- it's rusting now in several spots. A fair amount on the top tube where I think I must rub the frame when standing over the bike, etc. And also in places where any debris, etc has kicked up on the frame (behind the seat-tube, underside of the down-tube, etc.). So, not particularly 'durable'- I assumed if I decided to keep the frame 'raw' I'd have to reapply at least every season, but now I think I'll strip it again and paint.
Old 02-10-24, 02:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I'd only rate the tung-oil treatment I did on my Holdsworth (see above in thread) as 'so-so'- it's rusting now in several spots. A fair amount on the top tube where I think I must rub the frame when standing over the bike, etc. And also in places where any debris, etc has kicked up on the frame (behind the seat-tube, underside of the down-tube, etc.). So, not particularly 'durable'- I assumed if I decided to keep the frame 'raw' I'd have to reapply at least every season, but now I think I'll strip it again and paint.
Following around on this and Thin man's current thread.

And as we haven't seen it yet that I see, we need to emphasize the need to very thoroughly strip anything that has been treated for rust, ideally it should be "hot tanked" but I don't think its easy to find anymore and they cannot be too hot for this lest it compromises the brazing, temper, etc.

Lacquer thinner, acetone, etc and the like should be employed with some heat at least.

The same thing that makes these products work is the same thing that will prevent proper paint adhesion, it needs to be completely leached out of the metal before any paint is applied.

Complete stripping, cleaning and drying are all critical for the paint to be done right.