Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Front rando rack for center pull braze-ons?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 11:08 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy all. Been a long time since I’ve posted here. Hope everyone is good.

Anyhow, I’ve got a Bob Jackson End-to-End Audax bike with Paul Racer brakes that I want to add a rando front rack with a decalieur and a Berthoud bag. I’ve seen rando racks that work with cantilever post braze-ons but not with center pull post braze-ons. Anyone know of one or do I have to go custom? TIA

Old 08-02-23, 11:54 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Calling @gugie, who made this nice one for me, as well as adding the braze-on posts (and a bunch more using just the fork). I highly recommend his version of a stem-mounted decaleur as well.

His much better-than-VO’s decaleur. He made this one with the tubes going up for me (they usually go downward) and my tall bars. Also note the incorporated housing stop since my headset didn’t have room for one.

Last edited by Dfrost; 08-02-23 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 09:53 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Calling @gugie
Thanks Dave!
Old 08-03-23, 09:54 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
Howdy all. Been a long time since I’ve posted here. Hope everyone is good.
Anyhow, I’ve got a Bob Jackson End-to-End Audax bike with Paul Racer brakes that I want to add a rando front rack with a decalieur and a Berthoud bag. I’ve seen rando racks that work with cantilever post braze-ons but not with center pull post braze-ons. Anyone know of one or do I have to go custom? TIA
PM sent, good to hear from you again.
Old 08-03-23, 10:56 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
I have a Rene Herse CP-1 rack on my centerpulls and a berthoud decaleur. Gugie’s stuff is much more aesthetically pleasing.

Vintage TA specialties front racks work on centerpulls too, though I still think Gugie’s rack are the way to go.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 08-03-23, 11:23 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

One detail that I should mention, Paul Racers attach to brazed on posts differently than the "standard" MAFAC method. Paul uses a clever spring adjustment mechanism, the center bolt attaches the brakes and locks down the spring adjustment, making it easy to center the brakes side to side. I don't know of any off-the-shelf solution so custom is pretty much the way you'd need to go.
Old 08-04-23, 07:06 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Paul sells these:

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon.../rack-adapter/
Old 08-04-23, 07:28 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by fender1
Thanks for posting that! I didn't know they existed, and had already started thinking about making something similar on my own.
Old 08-04-23, 07:58 AM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
As another option, I use a Velo Orange randonneur front rack and it attaches with a bolt under the fork crown. Looks like you might have this option if your fender is attached there. I'm using this set-up with Berthoud decaleur and bag. Gugie's stuff looks sweet, though.
Old 08-04-23, 01:35 PM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Thanks for posting that! I didn't know they existed, and had already started thinking about making something similar on my own.
If you’re building a rack for Paul brakes, no reason to use the Paul adapter, get ahold of Darrell @ Llewellyn and get his cast Paul rack lugs. They’re even stainless with an articulated joint, to make your life extra easy.

Investment cast stainless steel with articulated joint to fit curved or straight rando rack 8mm support tubes. To fit directly into Paul Component brakes.Includes M3 boss on one of the rack bosses for a light earth ground wire screw.

# S-LL-RB One Set $45.00 inc (Four pieces for one cantilever brake set, includes one M3 earth wire Boss)

# S-LL-RB Front and rear $80.00 inc gst (Eight pieces for front and rear cantilever brake set, includes one M3 earth wire Boss
​​​​​​​
Likes For fliplap:
Old 08-04-23, 07:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by fliplap
If you’re building a rack for Paul brakes, no reason to use the Paul adapter, get ahold of Darrell @ Llewellyn and get his cast Paul rack lugs. They’re even stainless with an articulated joint, to make your life extra easy.
I used those for the rack on my Grander Sportier. Sorry for the lack of closeup on the rack bits, here's a high rez version you can kinda see them on.

Neat idea, but to be honest, I didn't think they were worth the effort. They required a lot of post-brazing cleanup, and since they're a casting, required a lot of sanding and polishing for the finish I was after.

I've already figured out how to make a front rack work nicely with Paul centerpulls without spending around $50 for the special bolts or Llewellyn bits.
Old 08-05-23, 11:23 AM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used those for the rack on my Grander Sportier. Sorry for the lack of closeup on the rack bits, here's a high rez version you can kinda see them on.

Neat idea, but to be honest, I didn't think they were worth the effort. They required a lot of post-brazing cleanup, and since they're a casting, required a lot of sanding and polishing for the finish I was after.

I've already figured out how to make a front rack work nicely with Paul centerpulls without spending around $50 for the special bolts or Llewellyn bits.
Thats a beauty of a bike!
Old 08-06-23, 08:51 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
This rusty front rack is on a Gitane Interclub I just picked up for parts. Has a little lip to fit on the Mafac caliper bolts. Looks like the TA. Going to clean it up and see what I got.

Old 08-06-23, 09:35 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Sedgemop

Those are neat little racks, and can be found for very little money. For a small load, small bag they work just fine. They're made to fit MAFAC Racer type centerpulls, but the attachment points can be bent in or out to fit wider brakes, such as RAIDs.

For a bigger, heavier load they do act like a diving board, and the bag can bounce up and down, especially on a rutted road. It is a good tool for many uses, however.
Old 08-06-23, 09:47 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Those are neat little racks, and can be found for very little money. For a small load, small bag they work just fine. They're made to fit MAFAC Racer type centerpulls, but the attachment points can be bent in or out to fit wider brakes, such as RAIDs.

For a bigger, heavier load they do act like a diving board, and the bag can bounce up and down, especially on a rutted road. It is a good tool for many uses, however.
I've never thought a rack was cute before. It's the fuzzy kitten of front racks.
Old 08-06-23, 03:49 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
The tumbleweed T-rack mounts to mid and lower fork eyelets.
https://tumbleweed.cc/products/t-rack