Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubular or Tubeless Wheelset?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubular or Tubeless Wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 12:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4443 Post(s)
Liked 4,895 Times in 3,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
My Chromebook says that's not a secure connection. Does that 1-minute reduction in elapsed time simply represent a difference of a pound in overall bike weights or is rotating weight factored in?
Bike Calculator just considers overall weight. Rotating mass wouldn’t make any difference anyway on a constant speed climb.

The rotational weight weenies cling stubbornly onto the effect it has on accelerations, but bikes don’t accelerate very fast or for very long, even in a full on sprint finish. The rotational mass is also only a tiny fraction of the overall weight. You can spin up a bicycle wheel with your little finger.

Swiss Side simulated the effect of 450g of rotational weight in a number of real world race scenarios (crit race, TT and steep climb). The rotational weight effect was insignificant in all 3 scenarios, although the small addition to total weight saved a few seconds on the climb as you would expect.
Old 12-24-23, 12:39 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Bike Calculator just considers overall weight. Rotating mass wouldn’t make any difference anyway on a constant speed climb.

The rotational weight weenies cling stubbornly onto the effect it has on accelerations, but bikes don’t accelerate very fast or for very long, even in a full on sprint finish. The rotational mass is also only a tiny fraction of the overall weight. You can spin up a bicycle wheel with your little finger.

Swiss Side simulated the effect of 450g of rotational weight in a number of real world race scenarios (crit race, TT and steep climb). The rotational weight effect was insignificant in all 3 scenarios, although the small addition to total weight saved a few seconds on the climb as you would expect.
As the sayings go you are either “Preaching to the choir” or “Talking to the fence post” not a lot of convincing being done. The fun part is the same crowd weighs in continuing on from the last time the thread was shut down. Like the dogs barking over neighboring fences nothing is getting done but the dogs seem to enjoy it. This subject has been debated endlessly as has any topic challenging myths imprinted during the formative years of the 70’s and 80’s. Heck, I am sure there are BF members who are still abstaining from marital relations the night before their big Sunday group ride.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 12-24-23 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-24-23, 12:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 7,323 Times in 2,954 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Heck, I am sure there are BF members who are abstaining from marital relations the night before their big Sunday group ride.
That would be a silly thing to do. I just send prostitutes to the homes of all the other riders the night before the big group ride.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-24-23, 12:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That would be a silly thing to do. I just send prostitutes to the homes of all the other riders the night before the big group ride.
Now that’s a group ride I want to be part of!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-24-23, 12:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7004 Post(s)
Liked 10,995 Times in 4,706 Posts
Can I join your group ride?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-24-23, 12:52 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
One pound of wheel weight difference is huge, and the static analysis presented here is useless. Everyone here who has been on a fast pack ride knows that the 5 feet of difference when you are being popped off of the back may as well be 500 or 5,000 feet. When you get shelled off of the back, you are likely are done for the day, because that 5 foot difference that you cannot accelerate bridge is the difference between expending 100 watts sheltered for the next hour vs. a heroic but futile 400 watt solo ride.

As well as ignoring the dozens of hard accelerations per climb, the static analysis also ignores the side to side rocking of the bike when you are humping on the pedals.

With tubeless, an extra 400 grams, particularly on the wheels, is a massive disadvantage. Lightweight for the win. Tubulars for the win.
Old 12-24-23, 01:02 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked 3,588 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
One pound of wheel weight difference is huge, and the static analysis presented here is useless. Everyone here who has been on a fast pack ride knows that the 5 feet of difference when you are being popped off of the back may as well be 500 or 5,000 feet. When you get shelled off of the back, you are likely are done for the day, because that 5 foot difference that you cannot accelerate bridge is the difference between expending 100 watts sheltered for the next hour vs. a heroic but futile 400 watt solo ride.

As well as ignoring the dozens of hard accelerations per climb, the static analysis also ignores the side to side rocking of the bike when you are humping on the pedals.

With tubeless, an extra 400 grams, particularly on the wheels, is a massive disadvantage. Lightweight for the win. Tubulars for the win.
Sigh. This myth won't ever go away, will it?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-24-23, 01:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Forget the night before you are talking about mid ride! I completely disagree with your premise but I do like your style.

By the way tubular isn’t winning anything and hasn’t for a while.
Old 12-24-23, 01:18 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,208 Times in 693 Posts
Dave Mayer even if everything you said were true...
Originally Posted by Ofsinreno
I am not racing.
Old 12-24-23, 01:19 PM
PeteHski

What about the dynamic analysis (including all accelerations and rotational weight) provided by Swiss Side? Are you just going to ignore that? Of course you are.

You keep talking about this “huge” difference being worth 5 feet. How did you arrive at that figure?

How many Gs are you pulling on these hard climbing accelerations from 12 to maybe 20 kph and for how long? 😂
Old 12-24-23, 01:21 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Dave Mayer even if everything you said were true...
Which, let’s be clear, it isn’t!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-24-23, 01:27 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A Bigfoot thread has been raging on a guitar site recently.

I imagine Big Bigfoot is behind it.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-24-23, 01:38 PM
tomato coupe

Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever closed a 5 foot gap in a race. Your day is over if that happens.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-24-23, 02:00 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rosefarts
The huge advantage of going full weight weenie is mental. Seems irrelevant but it totally matters.

It’s the same thing as a fresh new haircut gives you more confidence or how you can ride faster on your birthday. It shouldn’t matter but it does.

When we plug weights into a calculator, that’s not the whole picture. The guy who picks up his bike and it feels like it’s made from pixie dust gets that extra edge. It’s real.

Whether that “feelin fancy” threshold is for a 1600, 1100, or 750g wheelset is up to the person.

We’re organic and emotional lumps of meat rolling around. Not machines. Hard to quantify but we can’t ignore the effect either.
I agree, but it only matters if you believe there is a real significant advantage. The huge advantage of not going full weight weenie is that you can choose components based more on strength, reliability, practicality and cost.

The mental side is also okay once you realise that a few hundred grams doesn’t really make or break your performance. If you do get dropped from your group ride it isn’t because you didn’t invest in those ultra-lightweight wheels!

The psychology can work both ways depending on your mindset. If you believe that you need to save every gram of weight to be competitive then you can soon get obsessive about it and paranoid if you think someone else has a slightly lighter bike.
Old 12-24-23, 02:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,842 Posts
Math is stupid. Just because you can precisely measure stuff, and then do calculations using the measurements which lead to predicted performance and then actually See that performance, exactly as the equations predict, and again, measure it precisely ... yeah, Science is stupid, too. Anyway, the earth is flat.
.... and so it goes. Darwin, rescue me!
Old 12-24-23, 02:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,842 Posts
The psychology can work both ways depending on your mindset. If you believe that you need to save every gram of weight to be competitive then you can soon get obsessive about it and paranoid if you think someone else has a slightly lighter bike.
That is when you start drilling holes in the frame .....
Old 12-24-23, 03:16 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
even 20 years ago tubulars were being pushed by the top clinchers

BITD / 90’s - only a few guys in our road group rode tubulars (‘sew ups’) - and just on select bikes (not all of their bikes)

their thoughts : the top tubulars were very good / great ride etc - but below that level the tubulars were around equal to a good clincher and maybe performed below that level

in their opinion - too many were comparing the performance of a top level tubular tire to a mid level clincher (and few actually used the top level tubulars)

at that time - good portion of the group were riding Michelin (Hi Lite Comps and Super Comp HDs - later Axial Pros) … Vittoria (Open CX ? can’t recall model) … Conti GP’s …
I still have two sets of DA hub wheels, still with glued on sew-up tires - just don’t have the heart to throw them away.
They will definitely need to peeled and cleaned, should I ever decide to use them again. These were fantastic wheels in their time, felt much faster than the best clinchers had to offer; no, I’m not comparing these to the middle of the road clinchers of the day.

I guess that makes me a hoarder.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-24-23, 06:12 PM
Trakhak

I agree, but it only matters if you believe there is a real significant advantage. The huge advantage of not going full weight weenie is that you can choose components based more on strength, reliability, practicality and cost.

The mental side is also okay once you realise that a few hundred grams doesn’t really make or break your performance. If you do get dropped from your group ride it isn’t because you didn’t invest in those ultra-lightweight wheels!

Then there are the pragmatic riders who evaluate each upcoming race and choose equipment accordingly. A local Baltimore rider racked up what I would guess were the most wins of any racers on the East Coast during his career (including national championships, mostly but not exclusively on the track) from his early teens through his final years racing as a Master. I once asked him how he chose his wheels and other equipment for his various events.

He said, "If it's a race that I figure I have a good chance of winning, I use my most reliable wheels and equipment. Otherwise, I usually use my lightest wheels and my lightest bike."
Old 12-24-23, 06:40 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Myth —> Religion, and disputing myths becomes blasphemy.

Not very different from ‘all bicyclists good’ and ‘all car drivers horrible’ around here.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-24-23, 06:41 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Trakhak
He said, "If it's a race that I figure I have a good chance of winning, I use my most reliable wheels and equipment. Otherwise, I usually use my lightest wheels and my lightest bike."
Funny.
Old 12-24-23, 07:04 PM
Trakhak

Funny.
He was a very canny guy about bike racing. When 53-tooth chainrings became all the rage for criterium racing in the mid-80's, his secret weapon was his 50-tooth big ring. Using that while racing guys with 53-tooth rings, he probably won a few sprints that he wouldn't have otherwise, especially on courses where the finishing stretch was flat or on a slight rise.

Since I'm giving away all his secrets, here's the last one I know of: he always practiced his sprints on a long straight downhill stretch near his house. Using the downhill let him get up to full race speed fast in his preferred sprint gear.
Old 12-28-23, 05:14 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
I run it all. My tubular wheels are the best until they aren't.