Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

6'6, thinking about Giant in XL frame? TCR vs my Endurance Roubaix - Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 05:48 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Folks, I'm likely to buy a new bike next spring after we move and I just visited the local bike shop a few days ago. They had a good selection of Giant's. However, Giant doesn't make an XXL frame, they only make an XL frame. This concerns me as I'm 6'6 with a 36 in inseam. So while seat post isn't a problem my torso isn't short, it's about normal, will I be cramped in the cockpit? I realize that ultimately I've gotta ride them and try to make that decision but would love to hear what experiences others have. It's hard to get a good idea of what a 50 or 60 mile ride will be like on a 1 mile test ride or even 15 minutes on a trainer in a store.

Also, my current rig is a 2017 Specialized Roubaix with 105 kit. That's obviously an endurance bike, I'd like something a touch racier without being over the top. The 2021 TCR has some changes to the geometry like increased stack and reach from what I've read, that's giving me some hope that it may be a great bike for me and add that smidge of room I didn't have on the Giant I test rode back in 2017.

If there's any questions I can answer please ask and thank you.
Old 07-17-20, 06:59 PM
Flip43

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m a similar size to you, 6’7” with a 36” inseam. I checked out the specs on the TCR advanced on the giant website and based on the stack/reach measurements it looks like it may be a touch on the small side. I know it’s tough to find large frame sizes in stock to try, so hopefully this helps.
Likes For Flip43:
Old 07-17-20, 07:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Canyon has 7 sizes for most models - not sure if that covers a wider range. Seat tube for an XXL Endurace is 612 MM, and they have some XXLs in stock.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-17-20, 07:16 PM
OUGrad05

Originally Posted by tyrion
Canyon has 7 sizes for most models - not sure if that covers a wider range. Seat tube for an XXL Endurace is 612 MM, and they have some XXLs in stock.
Not interested in Canyon, thank you though sir.
Old 07-17-20, 07:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11044 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
The XL size TCR has 595mm of stack height and 410mm of reach.
Your 2017 61mm Roubaix has 650mm of stack height and 396mm of reach.

Thats a big stack difference and 595mm is pretty damn aggressive for 6'6. More power to you if that's your fit, im 6'5 and jealous.
Old 07-17-20, 07:22 PM
OUGrad05

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The XL size TCR has 595mm of stack height and 410mm of reach.
Your 2017 61mm Roubaix has 650mm of stack height and 396mm of reach.

Thats a big stack difference and 595mm is pretty damn aggressive for 6'6. More power to you if that's your fit, im 6'5 and jealous.
Ya it's definitely aggressive, may indeed be too much but will need to try it to know. The defy geo is more relaxed I think it's another 25mm in stack, could be an option as well.
Likes For OUGrad05: