Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 08:49 PM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
super early but is anyone planning on doing KSR this year? last year i stayed home and did the crit-tastic Tour of Somerville weekend but am thinking about making the trip up north after having done Catskills last year and having a blast.
Old 01-20-16, 06:41 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by notwist
super early but is anyone planning on doing KSR this year? last year i stayed home and did the crit-tastic Tour of Somerville weekend but am thinking about making the trip up north after having done Catskills last year and having a blast.
i'm planning on doing it. it's a very well run race.
Old 01-20-16, 01:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
No Series in 2016 | Aetna Nutmeg Spring Series

Not holding the Series this year.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-20-16, 01:38 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good decision.
Old 01-20-16, 01:51 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing

Lazy Bum !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-20-16, 02:06 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at what races will host what categories in the Tour of Somerville to see what we should plan on this year, I noticed there isn't a single women's 4 race. Kinda throws a monkey wrench in things. I hate make the Mrs sit on the sidelines for a weekend. I think it's mainly crits where I've seen women 4 excluded most often. Not enough people?
Old 01-20-16, 02:27 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Limited time I think.
Old 01-20-16, 04:15 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Good decision.
+1.
Old 01-20-16, 04:21 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Obviously the right call for you, but sad nonetheless. Thanks for the sponsor shout-out though.

Looking at the calendar I realize I would have missed 2 weekends of the series anyway, the kids' spring break (aka easter) is early this year.
Old 01-20-16, 08:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Harlan
Looking at what races will host what categories in the Tour of Somerville to see what we should plan on this year, I noticed there isn't a single women's 4 race. Kinda throws a monkey wrench in things. I hate make the Mrs sit on the sidelines for a weekend. I think it's mainly crits where I've seen women 4 excluded most often. Not enough people?
Keep in mind that Somerville didn't have a Cat 3 men's race for the longest time. Only in my lifetime did they slowly expand the menu. First it was Masters (and I did the race as an M35, shelled promptly), then, later, the 3s.

It's tough to justify even an open Women's race. I am semi-familiar with just one downtown crit's operating expenses and the road closures alone run something like $30k. Although it's obvious that you can't promote such a race on entry fees alone, the entry fees are the huge wild card for revenue. If you get 80 Cat 4 men or 30 Cat 4 Women, which field would you rather hold?

When I held an open Women's race in Bethel, about 30-40 women showed up regularly. That's huge for women. If that was the Cat 4 men's field, I'd consider it an abject failure. Realistically, though, at least from that field alone, it would have been better not to hold a Women's race. (Doesn't take into account that some men show up because their female friend/spouse/teammate has chosen my race because of the women's race.)

In road races you can start a W4 and W123 field together and just score them separately. One official's car, one wheel van (for the W123), just another lead car for the W4. This way the W4 doesn't cost much more to hold. In a crit it's hard to run two races at the same time. They do it regularly at the NYC park races (3 to 6 mile loops) but when fields catch one another it can get ugly. At Somerville it might be possible but I would be paranoid that the fields would eventually merge.

All this applies even more so for the Juniors, which is a pity. When I started as a Junior we regularly saw 50-80 rider fields. Now if there are 10 then it's great, and the stronger Juniors don't actually race at my venue, they just look after the younger/weaker ones. Therefore the ones actually racing are 12-14 years old, making the race good for them.

Having said all that the Somerville races are pretty exciting to watch. I was absolutely floored the first time I went to Somerville. I'd seen a fast race before (1983 Crit Nats in Nutley, with Davis Phinney and Rebecca Twigg and all sorts of 1984 Olympic team members) but I couldn't appreciate the speed because I hadn't raced myself at that point. When I went to Somerville I'd been racing maybe 15 or 20 years. I absolutely could not believe how hard they were going in just the first few laps.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-20-16, 08:33 PM
carpediemracing 

I feel bad for not holding the Series but realistically I can't. And if anything happens again (I just spent 3 days in the hospital with my dad, aspiration pneumonia) then it would definitely be bad. I was sitting there in his room and thought, yeah, if this was March or April, forget it.
Old 01-20-16, 09:02 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
There's nothing to feel bad about dude, some things are way more important than bikes.
Old 01-21-16, 06:24 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
There's nothing to feel bad about dude, some things are way more important than bikes.
And, CDR's done more for racing around here, than most of his registrants combined.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-21-16, 06:33 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
uh. that's a weirdly confrontational post.
Old 01-21-16, 06:54 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
let's do it
i'm planning on doing it. it's a very well run race.
#getinthevan
Old 01-21-16, 07:42 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind...snip
I can always count on you to tell it like it is...I'm just frustrated because she needs to upgrade and has very limited opportunities to do so. I watched your video on Somerville last week I think. Always fun to sit in with you.
Old 01-21-16, 09:02 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aki - I'm bummed of course but given your circumstances, I totally understand. Hope the series makes a come back in the future.
Old 01-21-16, 01:13 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Harlan
I can always count on you to tell it like it is...I'm just frustrated because she needs to upgrade and has very limited opportunities to do so. I watched your video on Somerville last week I think. Always fun to sit in with you.
Thanks.

I hear you on the lack of races. I feel bad when parents come up to me with Juniors, asking where they can find races. They really can't, that's the problem, and it's because need some way of recouping some of the costs of holding a race. Any normal promoter that holds a Junior or Women's race, forget about Women Cat 4, are already losing money.

I know nothing about Somerville, and I'm sure that there are municipalities involved, but, still, time is money, and paying whatever number of police, plus road closures, plus moto refs, etc, for 30 minutes for Cat 4 Women doesn't make sense. Even the Masters race is pretty short, if I recall, and the 3s also were very short. Entries are pretty stiff as well. I'm guessing that at $60+ per hour per officer, times maybe 50? 100? officers, keeping in mind that supervisors make more, plus patrol cars cost money, that makes every minute of racing pretty expensive. There are maybe 75 portapotties, and that's not cheap. Announcer. Stage for finish line area. Banners. Dept Public Works stuff (road closures, barricades on the super long main straight, tents for registration. Etc.
Old 01-21-16, 02:21 PM
DieterDrake

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aki - thank you for your dedication and time in promoting this series over the last 2+ decades. It's provided valuable racing experience for the region that, in turn, has benefited all other races including ours. Race organizers and clubs owe you a debt of gratitude for your support of bicycle racing in the Northeast.
Old 01-23-16, 10:49 AM
FFJ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieterDrake
Aki - thank you for your dedication and time in promoting this series over the last 2+ decades. It's provided valuable racing experience for the region that, in turn, has benefited all other races including ours. Race organizers and clubs owe you a debt of gratitude for your support of bicycle racing in the Northeast.
+1
Old 01-23-16, 02:32 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FYI: catskills is just a "grand fondo" now. road is dead, long live cx.
Old 01-23-16, 04:29 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI: catskills is just a "grand fondo" now. road is dead, long live cx.
I'll make sure your Hilltowns registration gets "lost".
Old 01-23-16, 09:11 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I'll make sure your Hilltowns registration gets "lost".
Old 01-24-16, 03:26 PM
milmo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Last year for Battenkill, just got email and it's on website Tour of the Battenkill - Pro/Am. Wonder if that's like $15 registration fee increase for January, that wasn't.
Old 01-25-16, 11:02 AM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USA Crits is coming to Red Bank, NJ in August

https://usacrits.wpengine.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.