Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Career as courier?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Career as courier?

Old 04-01-15, 05:59 PM
Huffandstuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
In an age with electronic signatures, you might be right. What do people courie now anyway other than drugs and sandwiches?
Urine samples.
Old 04-01-15, 06:11 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did food delivery for a short time over the winter. Only reason that ended was because our boss screwed us over. From what I've heard, food delivery is the way to go, less work for more money. At this company in my area called Snap Courier (which mostly does food) you can make between 30 and 40k a year if you're committed. Probably gonna try to get another job delivering **** on the nearish future. Met a dude today who delivers for this local pizza place and said that I should hit them up in June.
Old 04-02-15, 03:01 AM
nohandlebars

Bikes: 2009 Redline Monocog 29er (fixed); All-City Big Block

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Glamorous Life of Pedicabbing
Old 04-02-15, 07:32 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Food Delivery SUCKS. I never ever ever accepted food jobs. Legal work was where it's at(for me, at the time) but I assume like someone else mentioned, electronic filing stuff is gonna take that out.

I think you can make it work, like I said, if you hustle and are organized and understand how tax write offs work for some help in offsetting those independent contractor taxes. The "homeless drug addicts" are the ones who get the attention, but there are a lot of people, who are making a living just fine.
Old 04-02-15, 09:00 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
I mean, if you know what you are doing, can do yer own taxes and keep yer books, sure it's a profession.
Originally Posted by hairnet
:shrug: agree to disagree
In high school I had a p/t job bussing tables. One day they fired me, said they were hiring "a professional busboy."
Old 04-02-15, 09:05 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nohandlebars
The Glamorous Life of Pedicabbing
Really, there are lots of people here in the French Quarter making decent money at food delivery and pedicabbing, and seem to have fun doing it. It's gotta be brutal in the summer though, 90 degrees / 90% humidity.
Old 04-02-15, 09:15 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
Really, there are lots of people here in the French Quarter making decent money at food delivery and pedicabbing, and seem to have fun doing it. It's gotta be brutal in the summer though, 90 degrees / 90% humidity.

Yeah man, that kinda weather is brutal. I had a very good friend named Ron Jones, that was a delivery boy/pedicabber down there for awhile. He passed away a few years ago, but MTV did a special on Train riders and they followed him around, and showed him when he finally settled in NOLA.
Old 04-02-15, 04:09 PM
Tickstart

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I'll finish my bachelor in comp sc. first, then pursue my dreams +_+
Old 04-02-15, 08:04 PM
sickz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did a year in century city/beverly hills. min wage at the time ($276/week @ $8.25) + $3.50 for each package delivered off the Fox studio lot. ($150/week not taxed).

as a career? definitely not. if you own the company, possibly.
Old 04-02-15, 08:05 PM
sickz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did a year in century city/beverly hills. min wage at the time ($276/week @ $8.25) + $3.50 for each package delivered off the Fox studio lot. ($150/week not taxed). spent most of my time in elevators and in lines at the loading docks.

as a career? definitely not. if you own the company, possibly.
Old 04-02-15, 08:13 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Urine samples.
The company I worked for had a contract with a laboratory and I did quite a few runs with bio samples - I don't know exactly what I was carrying, I just know it was in a cooler.
Old 04-03-15, 12:11 AM
nohandlebars

Bikes: 2009 Redline Monocog 29er (fixed); All-City Big Block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's good to know actually. Some of my friends do it out here too. But the way it is out here, you have to pay to rent a pedicab and then you keep whatever you make that night on your own labor. It's mostly carting around drunk people at night and tourists during the day. My friends say they have good nights and really bad nights.
Old 04-03-15, 09:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Tickstart
LOL. A career in computer science will afford you much more security, and will let bicycling remain a passion.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-03-15, 09:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by Tickstart
LOL. A career in computer science will afford you much more security, and will let bicycling remain a passion.

I stealth-watched about 1/3 of that "Pedal" movie at work, and it played a lot more like a cautionary tale than anything to me.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-03-15, 09:49 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
In high school I had a p/t job bussing tables. One day they fired me, said they were hiring "a professional busboy."
Weren't they paying you? Professional = Someone gives you money for doing stuff.

I was a professional busboy several times - please don't tell me I have to update my resume, and change the job titles from "Professional Busboy" to "Hobbyist Busboy"!!
Old 04-03-15, 10:16 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

I stealth-watched about 1/3 of that "Pedal" movie at work, and it played a lot more like a cautionary tale than anything to me.

Meh, I don't know. There's some trade offs. I think about how much I miss doing messenger work all the time. Everything about it. Even the ****ty weather in the winter and early spring. I work in a lab now, and I like it ok i guess, and I have a 401k and benefits etc etc. But I hate being in all day, and the people I work with are generally the "uptight and white", watch too much news types. Security in computer science? Maybe. That's arguable, really. Lots of variables. Computer geeks let go everyday. And if yer work "defines you", Id waaay rather be defined regarding bike/messenger stuff, and not in anyway computer geek. What a soulless existence, IMO. I also don't see how "bicycling as a passion" isn't a possibility as a messenger. I mean, when I was a messenger, I ate, slept, breathed bike stuff. I rarely used my car, even for grocery shopping. Previous to being a messenger, I had always ridden bikes(But not a "cyclist") but being a messenger made me more of an urban survivalist.

But ya know, that's the dividing line. And that's cool with me. There's alot of messengers out there that make it look like a miserable existence. But I've spent many years on both sides of the desk, and I don't think I'll ever miss the side I'm on now. Even when I think of those weeks of 40 degrees and rain, where nothing you do will keep you warm, and the memories of putting on shoes at 7am that are cold and wet, and have been for the last three days, I still miss it.
Old 04-03-15, 10:29 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
While I have always enjoyed manual labor, working with my body and generally being outside, there is a flip side to that coin as well. I feel like I would need more intellectual stimulation than a career as a bike messenger or manual laborer would provide, but hey, that's what your free time is for. I think one thing we are missing in this argument is that your work doesn't necessarily need to fulfill all of your passions and needs. I know a couple programmers that are seasoned and just do contact work now - they work like 20hrs/week, tops, on their own schedule, and make bank because they are so good at the languages they use.

When I was on college, I was a geology major for a year. I had a vision for a career as a field geologist where I would spend nearly equal amounts of time collecting samples in the environment/surveying and performing analysis in the lab. Sort of a 50/50 split. I switched to chemistry and now I'm stuck in the lab, and spending more and more time at my desk as I gain responsibility. Meh, could be worse. Now I am learning that I excel in production and mfg environments, and wish I would have done (chem) engineering, but hey, hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 04-03-15, 10:42 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by T13
Meh, I don't know. There's some trade offs. I think about how much I miss doing messenger work all the time. Everything about it. Even the ****ty weather in the winter and early spring. I work in a lab now, and I like it ok i guess, and I have a 401k and benefits etc etc. But I hate being in all day, and the people I work with are generally the "uptight and white", watch too much news types. Security in computer science? Maybe. That's arguable, really. Lots of variables. Computer geeks let go everyday. And if yer work "defines you", Id waaay rather be defined regarding bike/messenger stuff, and not in anyway computer geek. What a soulless existence, IMO. I also don't see how "bicycling as a passion" isn't a possibility as a messenger. I mean, when I was a messenger, I ate, slept, breathed bike stuff. I rarely used my car, even for grocery shopping. Previous to being a messenger, I had always ridden bikes(But not a "cyclist") but being a messenger made me more of an urban survivalist.

But ya know, that's the dividing line. And that's cool with me. There's alot of messengers out there that make it look like a miserable existence. But I've spent many years on both sides of the desk, and I don't think I'll ever miss the side I'm on now. Even when I think of those weeks of 40 degrees and rain, where nothing you do will keep you warm, and the memories of putting on shoes at 7am that are cold and wet, and have been for the last three days, I still miss it.
Decent points. If you have the opportunity to do the job you love, you absolutely should!

But for financial security, there's no comparison -- the one guy said that if you bust your ass, you can make up to $100 in a day. That works out to something like $25000 gross for a year. While you can be let go as a software engineer (or most jobs, really), you're generally earning several times that other figure, allowing you save up a bunch for a rainy day (or early retirement, more time to ride bikes!) if you're not an idiot about it.

It seems like there are more and more wannabe messengers competing for fewer and fewer jobs, and that would stress me a lot if it were my chosen field. Maybe the faddishness has passed again, and the supply/demand stabilizing, I dunno.

I absolutely reject letting my work define me. I really hate that mentality, and if someone wants to break the ice by asking "so, what do you do?" it's often the last thing I'll mention out of a list. Don't get me wrong: I really enjoy my job most of the time, but I'm so much more than that. I'd rather talk about bike-commuting or my love life or wrenching on my old VWs.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-03-15, 10:54 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Decent points. If you have the opportunity to do the job you love, you absolutely should!

But for financial security, there's no comparison -- the one guy said that if you bust your ass, you can make up to $100 in a day. That works out to something like $25000 gross for a year. While you can be let go as a software engineer (or most jobs, really), you're generally earning several times that other figure, allowing you save up a bunch for a rainy day (or early retirement, more time to ride bikes!) if you're not an idiot about it.

It seems like there are more and more wannabe messengers competing for fewer and fewer jobs, and that would stress me a lot if it were my chosen field. Maybe the faddishness has passed again, and the supply/demand stabilizing, I dunno.

I absolutely reject letting my work define me. I really hate that mentality, and if someone wants to break the ice by asking "so, what do you do?" it's often the last thing I'll mention out of a list. Don't get me wrong: I really enjoy my job most of the time, but I'm so much more than that. I'd rather talk about bike-commuting or my love life or wrenching on my old VWs.
Oooh wrenching on old VWs. I like that.

Yeah I get what yer saying. And to be honest, you actually have to have half a brain to make being a messenger pay off. If you work downtown for at least two years, and you don't already have some dedicated runs, or clients of yer own, then you should forget it, give it up. Those people in those law firms and architect firms see YOU, not the company they call to get you to do a job for them. So when Sheila at Jewish Jewish Jewish and Jewish needs some stuff filed at the Justice Center really quickly, she'd rather call you directly. If you haven't made that happen, then like I said, give it up.

As far as the wanna be fad riders go, well, that's nothing that 20$ in cheap masterlocks and 1ft of chain can't handle. They get sick, real quick of coming out from a delivery that they stole from me, to find that their bike is locked up with another lock. I used to lock my bike up to theirs if I had a delivery in the same spot, and they were inside already. They'd come out, while I was still making my drop, and have to stand there and wait for me to unlock mine. I wouldn't even say a word to them either. Just unlock my **** and ride away. They **** off quick. It's not worth it to them.

Tmonk: Same here man. More responsibility, more desk time. I hate that part of it.
Old 04-03-15, 11:14 AM
sickz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
basing your pay on how hard you bust your ass (in messengering) is misleading.

1. there isn't an infinite amount of packages waiting for this beast on a bike to deliver
2. like any job, even messengering becomes routine. a lot of your deliveries are regulars... hence 'a route'.

tbh, you see the same people, push the same buttons, and notice the same potholes day in day out.

it's rare when a 'hot one' comes in and needs you to drop it in 20 min. those just don't exist (at least over here in LA). the most demanding rush i've ever had was a 1hour. 3 miles away.

i was also competing against all teh drivers. i was the only biker... eventually i got pushed out because i was dipping into the pockets of drivers who been w/ teh company for 15+ years. my package count went from an avg of 10 a day... to 2 a day.

the only gratification i really got was wowing ppl w/ what i could carry on my handlebars (fileboxes, gift baskets, a used prosthetic leg once.. yuk)

heaviest thing i've carried was a car battery in my chrome bag. the only time i wish i had a handbrake.

Last edited by sickz; 04-03-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 11:38 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not to take away from what yer saying, but LA is the worst example as far as courier work goes. Although it IS congested, it's just different. It's spread out. It's not as concentrated, like Chicago, Boston, NYC etc. I mean, that's why the company you worked for only had one biker. The drivers have no problem getting in and out during regular business hours, so they don't need bikes.

As far as "busting yer ass" I consider making contacts, getting regulars, learning how to do multiple part court filings, in both common pleas, as well as district court, things like that to be where the real $ is. If you are just picking up, point to point stuff you will NEVER make money. If I was still working downtown as a messenger, I'd be in with one of the law firms as their personal runner/docket clerk by now. Not prestigious I know, but like I said, not as soul crushing as the sea of cubicles.

Also, keep in mind, "comfort" means different things for different people. Some people want and need a 9 to 5 with all mod cons, cause they have a family. Some like messenger work, cause yer off nights and weekends, and you can play shows. Some peoples day is ruined if they were out of 2% milk at Starbucks, while others are just happy to be able to have a beer AND have a slice of pizza, instead of choosing between the two.
Old 04-03-15, 11:42 AM
sickz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
couldn't agree more.... LA is not a bike messenger hot spot. i'm sure the salary and demand is greater in SF and NY. one of my friends is still a messenger... and i'm always tellin' him... "we're in LA, your own dispatcher doesn't even know how to utilize a bike messenger properly"

most law firms do have their own in house messengers. although they hop the dash/drive to and from court. this is far from the ideal of a bike + bag kinda messenger. this is how my mother's firm operates (big firm in dt)

i was exclusively a messenger for the studio lots. primarily fox. most of my day 2 day was delivering stuff within the lot... was also stationed at disney and paramount for a short time.

most LA messengers double as process servers. most LA messenger companies have "court people"... who you'd drop ur filing off to instead of going in yourself.

Last edited by sickz; 04-03-15 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 11:51 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
are generally the "uptight and white", watch too much news types.
Originally Posted by T13
So when Sheila at Jewish Jewish Jewish and Jewish needs some stuff
Didn't you say that you never made race, religion or sexual orientation comments because they stirred up violence?

Why isn't it just "Uptight" or a "Law Firm"?

Thinly veiled dude, thinly.
Old 04-03-15, 11:56 AM
sickz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lawl.
Old 04-03-15, 12:14 PM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Didn't you say that you never made race, religion or sexual orientation comments because they stirred up violence?

Why isn't it just "Uptight" or a "Law Firm"?

Thinly veiled dude, thinly.
Yer fishin' bruh. I mean, really really fishin'.... I'll point out the obvious, even though I shouldn't have to.

Here's a few names of Law firms here in Cleveland:

Colley, Shroyer and Abraham
Neiger, Romaine and Scnheiberg
Rubin, Guttman, and Bashein

Get it? I know you do.

As far as the "uptight and white", I'm not even gonna try. Get over it, or don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.