Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Co-op Cycles, 1.1 or 3.1

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Co-op Cycles, 1.1 or 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 11:19 AM
Bubbleb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Co-op Cycles, 1.1 or 3.1

Hi to all. I am wanting to purchase either the 1.1 (Randonee) or the 3.1 (Mazama). I am primarily wanting a steel frame bike which can handle tires that are 32-40 cm. My current bike, is a size 19 men's Jamis Coda Sport, 2012 Model. Top tube is 57cm. Standover is 78.5cm. Stack, 569. Reach, 401. I am a 5'7.5" female with 31.25in inseam. I have a slightly longer torso than relation to legs and arms. Wingspan is about 2 inches smaller than height. The Jamis is a bit too long on the tube top and I feel strain in my neck because of the stack seems a bit short for me personally. If I steer the bike with my fingertips, which props me up more, I feel in a much better position comfort wise, except dang it hurts my fingers after a while. I have an adjustable stem installed that raised the bars a bit, which has helped somewhat. I am looking for something with a shorter reach and taller stack, not sit up and beg style, but that will allow my a lean forward but still have my head in a more upright position. Sorry for the wordy post The nearest REI is about 2.5 hours from me so I thought I might try here for some advice. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-28-17, 07:01 PM
Bubbleb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump, anyone?
Old 04-28-17, 08:51 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me it looks like you might want to look at a medium size for either of those. They both have a shorter reach than your Jamis with a similar stack. The medium has a standover of 31". I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and ride a medium Randonee and find it to be comfortable. The drop bar will add a different dimension for you as well. As for which to go with, the 1.1 if you're looking for more road touring, the 3.1 for some gravel or hard dirt touring. I love my Randonee though.
Old 04-28-17, 09:25 PM
Bubbleb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that. I had tried, bought and returned a medium Randonee in 2013. The bike seemed to fit ok, but the saddle was so terrible I think it affected my reach. If I had a more comfortable saddle, I probably would have kept the bike. Still kicking myself about that. I know a lot more about bike now thankfully and I have a saddle that is much more comfy. Thankfully REI has a year return policy. I will probably have to just make the trip to try them both out. I really like the shorter tube top of the 3.1 and taller stack, but those handlebars look like they would add tons to the reach. Wish it came with the same bars as the 1.1 has. Possibly I might get some Salsa Cowchipper or Cowbell bars for it. Anyhoo. Can't wait till the Anniversary Sale next month. Hope the Co-op bikes are 20% for REI members! I live 20 minutes from the C&O Canal and the GAP. That is primarily where I ride. My Jamis had Vittoria Randonneur 32 on them. Made riding my bike in gravel so harsh. Graduated to Vittoria Voyager Hypers 35s. Made such a difference in the ride quality! Will probably get the 38s for whichever new bike I decide on.

Last edited by Bubbleb; 04-28-17 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 09:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I have a Randonee and have seen a ADV 3.1 and can summarize the differences:

Randonee:
- stronger, heavier frame (bigger tubing)
- slightly better components
- stronger, heavier wheels
- rim brakes
- slightly longer wheelbase
- more conventional drop bars
- comes with 32mm road tires (but I put 40mm tires on mine)

ADV 3.1
- lighter
- disk brakes
- flared dirt drop bars
- shorter wheelbase
- fatter, more dirt oriented tires.

You can peer over the geometries on REI's website but the ADV 3.1 looks like it has shorter reach and taller stack. When I called my local REI to see if they have my size for test ride they said no, I'd have to order (buy) one and if I didn't like it I could get a refund. But I liked it and kept it.

FWIW on my Randonee I put a highrise stem and dirt drop bars on it.

They're both great values.

Last edited by tyrion; 04-28-17 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 09:53 PM
Bubbleb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They both look like awesome bikes. Wish REI was closer My main concern is fit and being comfortable. I know the only real way to to find this out is to test ride. Actually the stack on my Jamis and the Randonee is only 1mm difference. Its the reach on the Jamis that seems to be an issue. My concern is when you add in the additional length of the reach of the stem and drop bars when you are on the hoods, will that be equivalent to the reach I have on my Jamis. I am wondering how accurate the geometries are for both bikes as well. The 1.1 has a longer tube top, but shorter reach, not by much though. The 3.1 has shorter tube top but slightly longer reach. Oh well. This will be my third try at finding a bike that fits. First bike, a LBS in Rockwood PA sold me was way too big, a comfort bike that I hit the top tube, but I was so giddy to be on a bike I bought it. Should have never sold it to me. Second bike, the Jamis, is close, but still no cigar. Hopefully 3rd time's a charm. Hubby is getting sick of my bike obsession. He will be getting the Jamis though.
Old 04-28-17, 11:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubbleb
The 3.1 has shorter tube top but slightly longer reach.
That stem looks long, so you could get a shorter (and higher if you want) stem.
Old 04-29-17, 09:05 AM
Bubbleb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI can switch stems, bars etc in store at point of sale for free, I think. Hoping I can convince hubby to let drive to one to try them out first. I live 2.5 hours from Pittsburgh REI and 2.5 Hours from Fairfax, VA REI. Whichever one carrying the Medium in both is where I will go to. Though I prefer to go to VA.
Old 04-29-17, 12:31 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubbleb
They both look like awesome bikes. Wish REI was closer My main concern is fit and being comfortable. I know the only real way to to find this out is to test ride.

I would look into paying for A bike fit.What city has the REI store?
So you want steel,good choice.What type of riding you plan on doing?You want flat of drop bar bike or other.

The CO-OP might be okay but not available in to many sizes compare to some other bike company's.

Jamis,Salsa,Raleigh and many others have more sizes available per model than CO-OP.
Would not rule out A used bike.

Also the LBS that sold you that way to big Jamis bike.I might drop Jamis A note and let them know about the shop...etc.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 04-29-17 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 04:46 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I have been looking at buying the 3.1 Adventure. Not sure about those flared drops. Meh. Otherwise I like the frame geometry, and it appears to have a nice group, wheels, and steel frame. I want a short reach! $1400 is just a stretch right now. Still waiting. The $20 for the membership would make sense before the purchase. Dividend......
Old 05-04-20, 06:50 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
REI just had a sale on their bikes. C'mon guys, 15%.....