Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you recognize a bike is flexing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 12:25 AM
balibiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to this kind of things. Started to ride a bike last year again after a very very long absent. Did about 3500-km last year at an old MTB. In an instant deception I purchased an Avanti Vuelta(special limited edition) in Oz at our Xmas holiday. Did a very short trail ride and liked so I bought it. Did about 700-km on it. In the last few days I noticed a cranking noise from the bottom bracket area or the pedals, when riding out of the saddle and uphill. It doesn't do when out of the saddle on the straight. Must say I'm on the heavy side 95 kg. It doesn't make any noises when riding uphill in the saddle. Is the bike not as stiff and flexing or is it something else bottom bracket). I have no technical skills so please be gentle. I'm riding for fun after a long time finaly I have the time to do it.
Old 03-12-06, 01:07 AM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel -flex is ok, AL...no.
?
Old 03-12-06, 01:11 AM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hold the bars and saddle\put your foot on the bb and push.
Lateral torsion?
It's something to figure the flex of frames.?
Old 03-12-06, 02:55 AM
JOKESonSPOKES

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check the pedals, sometimes they aren't always tighted completely, and if they aren't you could risk stripping them, then if you have any tools that you could possibly do it with, check the BB, make sure its tensioned right, not too tight or loose. If you can't, take it too a shop, have them look it over, the shop you bought it from should do this for free.
Old 03-12-06, 03:48 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
Hold the bars and saddle\put your foot on the bb and push.
Lateral torsion?
It's something to figure the flex of frames.?
Heh, heh... that's my tried and true flex-demonstration! Actually, stand on the right side, squeeze the rear-brake with your right-hand. Tilt the bike away from you at about 30-degrees. Put the pedal at the bottom and stand on the pedal/crank downwards & inwards. You'll be able to flex any bike by 2-3" laterally...

To check what's going on with that noise, take the chain off and spin the crank by hand. It should feel smooth with no lateral play. Easy way to remove chain is to push on the lower run of the chain inwards and spin the crank backwards; chain falls off onto BB-shell.

Most likely the sounds you're getting is dry & loose BB bearings and/or cups. Due to the coarse threads, the cups will actually wiggle inside the BB-shell and cause noise as well. A layer or two of teflon pipe-tape on the treads before installing gets rid of that nicely.
Old 03-12-06, 10:11 PM
balibiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys as I life in Bali Indonesia all ideas are welcome. There is a good bike shop here will check it out with them
Happy and sunny riding.