Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Red light cameras.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Red light cameras.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 01:40 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by StrangeWill
If I had total disregard for my safety, I'd actually jump out into the intersection with my car as soon as it snaps green, just to watch him lock them up and slide through the intersection. I really really hate red light runners.
I always thought a (empty) baby buggy would be great for this. Watch 'em poop! lol
Old 07-07-09, 02:11 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I like the idea of them. Along with GPS speed sensors on all cars that would automatically fine drivers for speeding.
Bravo; my 40 years of cycling have taught me that there's a difference between a human being and a motor vehicle operator, therefore the law should not treat MVO's as if they're human. Control that species by any means necessary--piss on the Constitution!
Old 07-08-09, 12:09 AM
StrangeWill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
Bravo; my 40 years of cycling have taught me that there's a difference between a human being and a motor vehicle operator, therefore the law should not treat MVO's as if they're human. Control that species by any means necessary--piss on the Constitution!
Sad part is that my money is on that we wont see a real noticeable decrease in vehicular accidents, once Americans typically lose control of their vehicle at any speed, they panic, and have no formal training on what to really do minus about 5 minutes of class work...

And that is why again, I think we should model our driving courses after more foreign courses.
Old 07-08-09, 10:38 PM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....once Americans typically lose control of their vehicle at any speed, they panic, and have no formal training on what to really do....
I would agree, and add that here in California, thats before it starts raining... at which point the "fun" really starts.
Old 07-09-09, 01:17 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Holland
I would agree, and add that here in California, thats before it starts raining... at which point the "fun" really starts.
I have to agree, can someone PLEASE explain to me why it is that when it starts raining that drivers do NOT slow down??? We had a accident on I-4 a couple of years ago that IF people had slowed down as soon as they saw that the conditions had changed wouldn't had been as bad as it was. And the first drivers through it when they found out that they were going to be ticketed for their contribution said that it wasn't fair that they were going to be ticketed.
Old 07-09-09, 01:36 PM
jasony0423

Bikes: Cannondale synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know much about red light cameras. I do know there's one in my town in the most bizarre place I can think of. You'd think they'd put them at busy intersections. There's busy intersection a few blocks up from this one, but they put the camera at the intersection where there's a main road, and a VERY minor side street.
Old 07-10-09, 03:46 AM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I have to agree, can someone PLEASE explain to me why it is that when it starts raining that drivers do NOT slow down??? We had a accident on I-4 a couple of years ago that IF people had slowed down as soon as they saw that the conditions had changed wouldn't had been as bad as it was. And the first drivers through it when they found out that they were going to be ticketed for their contribution said that it wasn't fair that they were going to be ticketed.
I can tell you, in newer cars that "separate" you from road conditions with nice suspension and power steering and an auto tranny, you can easily think you have more traction than you do...

Hence I love my all manual car, I can feel every little bump and slide in the wheel and tranny...
Old 07-10-09, 01:12 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can tell you, in newer cars that "separate" you from road conditions with nice suspension and power steering and an auto tranny, you can easily think you have more traction than you do...

Hence I love my all manual car, I can feel every little bump and slide in the wheel and tranny...
Exactly, which goes back to a statement I made in another thread about how auto makers should start having to foot the bill for injuries and deaths resulting from their products. I mean we've seen manufacturers of other products sued when someone "misused" their products. . .
Old 07-10-09, 02:08 PM
Alox
Perma-clyde

Bikes: '05 Stumpy FSR 120, REK TEK Blitzkreig (Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy: governments post numerical speed limits, and drivers believe them, thinking that so long as they are driving at the limit, they'll be safe - in all conditions, and in spite of any variabilities in the age of their vehicle, and the state of its brakes, tires, suspension, competence of the driver, etc.

Years ago, the state of Montana had no posted speed limit, only the guideline "whatever's safe and prudent" for drivers. Many a driver thought this was an invitation to drive at high speeds throughout the state, but what it really required was that operators drive at speeds that reflected the road conditions at the time.
Old 07-10-09, 04:03 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly, which goes back to a statement I made in another thread about how auto makers should start having to foot the bill for injuries and deaths resulting from their products. I mean we've seen manufacturers of other products sued when someone "misused" their products. . .
You're supporting that people can sue manufacturers when idiots misuse their products?
Old 07-10-09, 04:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Because they a big 4 wheel drive Suv and because of that the laws of physics don't apply. In a similar vein....people simply do not slow down in snow. I believe the California chain laws are less for traction and more to force people to slowdown. Of course the big 4 wheel drive SUV doesn't have to use chains and you see more of them getting pulled out of the ditch then other cars on I-80 to tahoe

Old 07-11-09, 02:59 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alox
Easy: governments post numerical speed limits, and drivers believe them, thinking that so long as they are driving at the limit, they'll be safe - in all conditions, and in spite of any variabilities in the age of their vehicle, and the state of its brakes, tires, suspension, competence of the driver, etc.
To quote from the movie Under Siege 2: Dark Territory:

Travis Dane: Assumption is the mother of all f@#$ up's!

Years ago, the state of Montana had no posted speed limit, only the guideline "whatever's safe and prudent" for drivers. Many a driver thought this was an invitation to drive at high speeds throughout the state, but what it really required was that operators drive at speeds that reflected the road conditions at the time.
That's pretty much the "speed limit" on many stretches of the autobhan.
Old 07-11-09, 03:00 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're supporting that people can sue manufacturers when idiots misuse their products?
No, but it happens everyday, so why should auto makers be exempt? And given that auto makers safety concerns seem to be only for those INSIDE of the cages not outside of them don't they share some of the responsibility?
Old 07-11-09, 03:02 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Because they a big 4 wheel drive Suv and because of that the laws of physics don't apply. In a similar vein....people simply do not slow down in snow. I believe the California chain laws are less for traction and more to force people to slowdown. Of course the big 4 wheel drive SUV doesn't have to use chains and you see more of them getting pulled out of the ditch then other cars on I-80 to tahoe
It's not just the "big SUV's" but the little "skateboards" as well. Other then lightening when I get stuck riding in the rain I'm worried about someone going too fast to stop in time.
Old 07-12-09, 01:44 AM
Carusoswi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I like the idea of them. Along with GPS speed sensors on all cars that would automatically fine drivers for speeding.
Yea, we could use GPS sensors not only for speed, but to track the whereabouts of drivers in general. If someone drives into the seedy area of town, we could start an investigation to catch and thwart suspected illegal activity of many kinds.

Why stop with GPS sensors? Heck, just install cameras in homes, cars, workplaces. We could catch folks cheating on their taxes or speaking in hushed tones against the current or subsequent government administrations.

As for driving, why allow individual control of a vehicle in the first place. We should install self driving modules and turn the responsibility for controlling a vehicle (and where and at what speed it is allowed to go) over to some guru agency that knows better than we what is in our best interest.

Just remember, as you advocate for extreme government control over an issue that obviously peeves you, your wish come true would include collateral control the extent of which you have scarcely considered.

I've never studied the issue, but would guess that the sort of red light running that causes accidents has little to do with stretching a yellow light, but is outright disregard for fully red signals.

As for speeding, the type that causes accidents is not the same as the type that occasionally causes typical drivers to catch an occasional ticket. GPS sensors would penalize the same harmless drivers that most speed traps target - normal drivers whose speed is not a safety issue.

Those who currently race at two and three times the posted limit will find some way around the system.

I hope your wish never comes to pass.

Caruso
Old 07-12-09, 07:45 AM
remsav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
I hope your wish never comes to pass.

Caruso
Well, we're already there. GPS, RFID passports,drivers license,toll booth, cellphones etc... Just put them together and install enough cameras like the Brits and you have 24-7 tracking with video.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chips-...74657.html?x=0

Imagine this: Sensors triggered by radio waves instructing cameras to zero in on people carrying RFID, unblinkingly tracking their movements.

Unbelievable? Intrusive? Outrageous?

Actually, it happens every day and makes people smile -- at the Alton Towers amusement park in Britain, which videotapes visitors who agree to wear RFID bracelets as they move about the facility, then sells the footage as a keepsake.

This application shows how the technology can be used effortlessly -- and benignly. But critics, noting it can also be abused, say federal authorities in the United States didn't do enough from the start to address that risk.

The first U.S. identity document to be embedded with RFID was the "e-passport."

In the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks -- and the finding that some of the terrorists entered the United States using phony passports -- the State Department proposed mandating that Americans and foreign visitors carry "enhanced" passport booklets, with microchips embedded in the covers.

The chips, it announced, would store the holder's information from the data page, a biometric version of the bearer's photo, and receive special coding to prevent data from being altered.