Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Whoa! $17,000.00 Helmet Saves Life!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-25-09, 11:17 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Formula One racing, but....

Originally Posted by NY Times
AUGUST 25, 2009, 4:49 PM
How Felipe Massa’s Helmet Saved His Life

By PHIL PATTON
David Wright, third baseman for the New York Mets, was recently struck by a fastball traveling an estimated 94 miles an hour. He suffered a concussion, punctuating the importance of baseball helmets as discussed earlier this month in The Times.

Now imagine being hit by a metal object going nearly twice as fast. That’s what happened to Formula One driver Felipe Massa, who also suffered a concussion after being struck by a spring during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix in July.

The spring had fallen off of another car — Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn GP racecar, to be exact. Massa’s Ferrari was traveling at around 160 miles an hour when the spring and his helmet made contact. Remarkably, Massa was released from the hospital after only a few days and may return to the cockpit before the season is over.

All of which punctuates the robust standards to which Formula One helmets are built. The one Massa was wearing was from Schuberth, a German firm that has also built helmets for Massa’s teammate at Ferrari, Kimi Raikkonen, Williams driver Nico Rosberg and BMW Sauber driver Nick Heidfeld. In his post-Ferrari motorcycle racing career, Michael Schumacher, who wore a Schuberth helmet on the Formula One circuit, has publicized his Schuberth motorcycle helmet.

Schuberth said Massa’s helmet, which costs around $17,000, was made of 18 layers of a special carbon fiber called T 1000. (Standard motorcycle helmets have three layers.) It has been lightened by about a third from earlier designs. According to Formula One, the typical weight of a helmet is less than three pounds. And lightness is critical not just for reducing neck fatigue, but also for reducing the load caused by g-forces during racing and in crashes. Even basic braking can add 6 g’s to the driver’s head.

There are three primary helmet suppliers in Formula One, according to the official Web site. Arai and Bell are the other two. While the manufacturers keep the details of their helmets’ composite materials a closely guarded secret, each helmet must satisfy standards set by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile and drafted by Transport Research Laboratory, a British testing facility.

As you would expect, Formula One helmets must pass a series of rigorous tests, including impact tests, deformation and fragmentation evaluations and a compulsory fire test, whereby helmets are subjected to a flame of 1,472 degrees for 45 seconds, after which temperatures inside the helmet cannot be more than 158 degrees. Even more impressive is the standard for the visor, which must withstand projectiles that are shot at it at 310 miles an hour.

Since Massa’s accident, Schuberth has reinforced the attachment of the visor on the helmet. The spring from Barrichello’s car hit Massa’s helmet at the visor area.

Karoly Arvai/Reuters Felipe Massa, prior to a practice session for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...aved-his-life/

Last edited by randya; 08-25-09 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 11:20 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
wow.
Old 08-25-09, 11:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
And cyclist complain about the cost of a $200 helmet!
Old 08-26-09, 07:04 AM
paktinat

Bikes: a few crappy ones.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are talking about a sport where items like a steering wheel costs about $40,000.
FIA 8860 rated helmets are usually under $3k, the F1 helmets are typically custom fit lighter versions of this standard.

My cheapo $250 motor sports helmet is snell 2005 rated just like the $2000 carbon fiber versions that are rated the same. They both offer the same level of protection in a crash.
Old 08-26-09, 07:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
the wrecks in F1 and other open wheel series always scare the heck out of me just because the driver is so exposed.
Old 08-26-09, 07:27 AM
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
And cyclist complain about the cost of a $200 helmet!
Most of us aren't getting paid to ride our bikes though. I just bought a $45 Trek helmet, and quite frankly I feel riped off. At Meijers they sell bicycle helmets for $15 which meet the same safety standards as the helmet I bought. They're not as stylish, but that's not why I cycle. I'm never buying a helmet from a LBS again.

Formula 1 is a rediculously expensive sport. I love watching it, but I find amateur touring car racing just as exciting. I wish I could find regular programing for spec Miata. Just as cool as F1 but at a tiny, tiny fraction of the cost. Therefore, less annoying advertisments.
Old 08-26-09, 07:52 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, Foofy, if you want the $15 helmet, go ahead; personally, I kinda like the $40+ helmets' ergonomics -- they fit better, vent better, and are more comfortable to wear for those 2-3 hour rides.

But for $17K, it shouldn't only protect his head, but GIVE HIM SOME, too -- and style his hair post-race, as well.
Old 08-26-09, 07:58 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
If I ever have a near miss with 160 mph spring I'll opt for the $17,000 helmet version, and until that incident happens, my current cycling helmets will just have to do.
Old 08-26-09, 07:58 AM
ritepath

Bikes: CRF150

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wonder how much the nomex suit costs....
Old 08-26-09, 09:41 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Well, Foofy, if you want the $15 helmet, go ahead;
https://www.helmets.org/helmcost.htm

What does it cost to make a bike helmet? ... $4.85.

and from https://www.bhsi.org/ventsqua.htm

Most helmets are designed to reliably meet the CPSC or other relevant standard, not to exceed it

personally, I kinda like the $40+ helmets' ergonomics -- they fit better, vent better, and are more comfortable to wear for those 2-3 hour rides...
https://www.bhsi.org/ventsqua.htm

Vents and Square Lines

A major theme in the helmet market since 1997 has been more and larger air vents....opening up new vents usually requires harder, more dense foam and squaring off the edges of the remaining foam ribs...To provide impact protection with less foam the manufacturers normally have to harden the remaining foam, so that the force of a blow is transmitted to the rider's head with more pressure on one particular spot...more money will buy you more vents, but not necessarily more safety. ...The fashion among helmet designers since 1998 has favored squared-off edges of the foam remaining around the vents, and the addition of sharp lines in the exterior plastic just for style. The elongated "aero" shape dates from that era as well. This is not an optimal design for crashing...the aero tail can snag, or in a backward impact can shove the helmet aside...

our advice is to avoid those elongated aero designs...we don't recommend hyper-vented helmets

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-26-09 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 10:50 AM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the real problem with "aerodynamic" and largely-vented helmets is that they all look like some sort of anime tentacle monster clamped onto your head. haven't helmet manufacturers figured out yet that most people don't want to look like they have a hunter robot from the matrix clamped onto their noggin?
Old 08-26-09, 10:54 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I think the bicycle helmet standard has ******** development of a bicycle helmet that may provide greater protection than the standard with minimal to no additional comfort/cost downsides.
Old 08-26-09, 11:47 AM
closetbiker

where's the profit potential in improvement of design when the market is convinced the current standards already save lives?
Old 08-26-09, 11:57 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
^^ exactly and related is if there actually was a superior design, how could that be marketed without potential legal issues. all they could say is meets CSPC or whatever other standard, even if it was designed to exceed by a great margin.
Old 08-26-09, 12:31 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love F1 and saw Filipe's accident a couple weeks ago on the web. The footage is pretty crazy. You can actually see the spring bouncing on the road, but you have to look carefully because of the speed he's travelling, then he appears to get knocked out and crashes straight into a tire barrier at 160+ mph. The images of him and his helmet after the accident is scary. At the time, they weren't even sure if he'd live, much less ever drive again.

But.. comparing that situation to a bike helmet is pushing it a little..
Old 08-26-09, 08:48 PM
closetbiker

Originally Posted by BHSI
...Most helmets are designed to reliably meet the CPSC or other relevant standard, not to exceed it...
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/71...rds-questioned

Helmet standards questioned

Southern Region Coroner David Crerar is questioning the way standards are set for New Zealand cycling helmets.

Mr Crerar told an inquest into the death of cyclist David Edward John Hall (29) that a single standard for all cycling helmets "is possibly inappropriate".

In a police crash investigation report to the hearing, Senior Constable Alastair Crosland noted that cycling helmets were only designed to protect riders from low-speed, minor impacts and were tested in 1.4m drops that achieved about 16.2kmh.

Mr Crerar said cycling helmets provided a minimum of protection and he suggested that while a school child on a quiet street might need a helmet offering less protection, someone travelling at speed might require a helmet of a higher standard.
Old 08-27-09, 02:13 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The video is amazing, being as a spring at nearly 200mph has a lot of force to it, totally knocked him the hell out, but glad he lived.
Old 08-27-09, 03:52 PM
Griffin2020
On the road to health.

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What amazes me is that if the spring were an inch or two further to the right, it would have gone through the visor and his face.
He is supremely luck, and may be back on the track before the end of the year.
Old 08-27-09, 07:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Mr Crerar said cycling helmets provided a minimum of protection and he suggested that while a school child on a quiet street might need a helmet offering less protection, someone travelling at speed might require a helmet of a higher standard.
For once, someone is willing to stand up and admit that the modern-day bicycle helmet is not a magical cure-all.

-Kurt

Old 08-28-09, 05:49 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
For once, someone is willing to stand up and admit that the modern-day bicycle helmet is not a magical cure-all.

-Kurt
That happens regularly. Some simply refuse to look.

Modern helmets prove annoying to me. They tend to let me compensate too much and ride too aggressively, while I'm fully aware they offer minimum protection, and that superior designs should weigh the same and cost the same. Or not much more.

Even a relatively inexpensive motorsports helmet offers so much more protection. The venting is good, too. High speed, small vents in front, and some vents for release in the back. So why do bicycle helmets have huge vents that air mostly blows across? A hard shell to keep things together - why do bicycle helmets have a minimalist shell? And so on.

I always find comments from helmeted cyclists disparaging those without quite amusing. There's not really much protection in a bicycle helmet. Fortunately many of us are most likely to suffer a simple knockover at modest speed, with the impact mainly resulting from gravity. Those who believe their foam cap will continue to help after the first impact at high speed may well be mistaken.

I have a helmet here from a high side wreck at about 30 mph. It shows a glancing blow across the cheek, and a series of multiple taps along the back of the head. Bang bang bang. I can't imagine a standard bike helmet handling this well. The motorcycle helmet handled it fine without the occupant losing consciousness. (wasn't me!) A proper bicycle helmet would have handled it. But they don't exist!

Certainly a range of protective options would be useful for those who desire them. I suppose I'm in a minority in that I'll cycle to work without a helmet, wear a helmet for my usual road rides, and desire a better helmet for mountain descents.
Old 08-28-09, 06:30 AM
closetbiker

-Kurt
and it's a person in who is in (somewhat) of a position of authority pointing out a problem with an authoritarian decree.

He's sticking his neck out a bit here. Something like the policeman who writes a regular column in one of BCs biggest daily newspapers saying he's been swayed by the arguments against mandatory helmet legislation

https://www.theprovince.com/Cars/Much...097/story.html

Both of these people see the effects of the law and see a number of shortcomings with it and are taking a stand against what their job entails them to do (enforce and support the law) by speaking out in public about it.
Old 08-29-09, 03:17 AM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-Kurt
Not really, I see it all the time, I see more of the "it's better than skull to concrete" crowd here.
Old 08-29-09, 06:38 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
https://www.helmets.org/helmcost.htm

What does it cost to make a bike helmet? ... $4.85.

and from https://www.bhsi.org/ventsqua.htm

Most helmets are designed to reliably meet the CPSC or other relevant standard, not to exceed it

https://www.bhsi.org/ventsqua.htm

Vents and Square Lines

A major theme in the helmet market since 1997 has been more and larger air vents....opening up new vents usually requires harder, more dense foam and squaring off the edges of the remaining foam ribs...To provide impact protection with less foam the manufacturers normally have to harden the remaining foam, so that the force of a blow is transmitted to the rider's head with more pressure on one particular spot...more money will buy you more vents, but not necessarily more safety. ...The fashion among helmet designers since 1998 has favored squared-off edges of the foam remaining around the vents, and the addition of sharp lines in the exterior plastic just for style. The elongated "aero" shape dates from that era as well. This is not an optimal design for crashing...the aero tail can snag, or in a backward impact can shove the helmet aside...

our advice is to avoid those elongated aero designs...we don't recommend hyper-vented helmets

For about $40 you are still not in the range of those strange elongated aero designs... they tend to be in the $100+ range...

So it turns out that for more money, you get less helmet, eh?
Old 08-29-09, 08:17 AM
closetbiker

they're still oblong at lower prices,

and that shape has problems. The linked BHSI site said,

Round shells reduce to a minimum any tendency for a helmet to "stick" to the surface when you hit, with the possibility of increasing impact intensity, contributing to rotational brain injury or jerking the rider's neck. ...with some models that lab technicians have to use copious amounts of duct tape to keep some helmets on the headform in their test drops, even after they have pulled the straps extra-tight.
and yeah, less helmet, heavier blows directed onto the noggin, and more reported helmet failings (broken foam with no compression).

Fashion, in place of safety.
Old 08-29-09, 09:28 AM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, Foofy, if you want the $15 helmet, go ahead; personally, I kinda like the $40+ helmets' ergonomics -- they fit better, vent better, and are more comfortable to wear for those 2-3 hour rides.

But for $17K, it shouldn't only protect his head, but GIVE HIM SOME, too -- and style his hair post-race, as well.