Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket removal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom bracket removal

Old 03-22-20, 07:02 AM
RBS63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket removal

I have a 2010 Cannondale Six Carbon frame, trying to remove bottom bracket but drive side is stuck. When i try to remove () the metal threaded bushing in the frame turns with the BB and tool. Any ideas or am I SOL?
Old 03-22-20, 09:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
"Metal bushing" Is this the bearing cup? Is that frame threaded in the BB shell or are the bearings a press fit? Please don't ask up to look up your bike's specs.

One more post that could have provided photos and eliminated a lot of the guessing we go through otherwise. Andy
Old 03-22-20, 02:23 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I would assume that the carbon frame has a threaded insert bonded into the frame. If the threaded insert is moving, that means it is no longer bonded to the frame. If you can get it out and remove the bottom bracket from it, it can probably be bonded back to the frame with the proper epoxy. This is not really a DIY job. A carbon frame repair service should be able to save the frame by putting the insert back in or replacing it.
Old 03-22-20, 04:29 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Are you turning the wrench the right way as the drive side is left hand threads. Roger
Old 03-22-20, 06:01 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
OEM bottom bracket is Press Fit. Do you have a threaded conversion insert? Plenty of YouTube videos on Press Fit removal if that's what you have.