Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Same Guy, Same Story

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Same Guy, Same Story

Old 07-10-09, 01:04 AM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Bikes: 1 Road Bike<-Won it =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same Guy, Same Story

So a few months ago, I was riding home from school, doing about 25mph down a hill. I saw a car behind me, and so I pulled over close to the side of the road to give him room to pass. As he passed me, he slowed down and yelled "Get off the f#%^ing road you f#@$ing kid" and flipped me off. He was an overweight guy wearing a wifebeater in a white old beatup ford econoline van.

Yesterday I was riding down a different hill, and had to turn left onto another street. I slow down, and stop to wait for the traffic in the other lane to slow just like any car would do. I hear someone leaning on his horn behind me and I turn around. It was the same guy in the same car wearing the same outfit.

I couldn't make my turn yet, as there were still cars in the other lane, and so i tried ignoring him. He gunned his engine which scared me to death because i thought he would run into me (apperently he had gunned it with the brakes on). I nearly went into the oncoming traffic. Luckily I got a brake in traffic and I made my turn and he drove on.

I hope i don't meet him a third time...
Old 07-10-09, 02:21 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You can try changing your route, or maybe adjusting your schedule +-10mins to avoid him it its always the same place and time.
Thats probably the sanest and simplest thing to do.

However a part of me wants to say, next time he passes you while you're waiting for that left turn(he can pass to your right can't he?) smash your Ulock into his rear window then dash across the cross traffic where he can't follow. (and then change your route as suggested originally).

Someone else might also suggest recording the repeat incidents or getting police involved, but do you really want to go to that trouble? Option 1 is still looking the best here...
Old 07-10-09, 04:18 AM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post his plates on craigslist. I had a same driver harrass me twice on my morning commute-- in different vehicles (6:30 am- zero traffic). Someone from the DMV emailed me all sorts of info on the driver, including his criminal record.
Old 07-10-09, 06:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Probably a local, so not likely to avoid him changing routes.

You are going to have to confront this ahole and make him understand that you too have the same rights to the road.

If that doesn't work, remove all of his tire valve cores.
Old 07-10-09, 07:09 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the guy's license number and vehicle description, and report it to the local police, each and every time he pulls some silly stunt like that. They're the folks with powers to either curtail his driving privileges or impose some other penalty that might lead him to changing his ways. Repeated reports establish a pattern of unlawful behavior, which makes it harder for him to claim that "it's just an isolated incident" or more commonly, "I'm sorry, Officer... I just didn't see him."

Unless you're really confident you can take this guy in an (un)fair fight (there should be no other kind) and have a really, really close friend to help you hide the corpse, confrontation as suggested above isn't a good option.
Old 07-10-09, 07:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Call the cops. And, as you've seen, cowering in the gutters for these people doesn't help you make them happy. Ride where it will make you safe.
Old 07-10-09, 08:31 AM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Report him to the police with license plates for sure. It's just another form of harassment. It's worth reporting to protect yourself and other cyclists.
Old 07-10-09, 10:00 AM
ModeratedUser26092018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Report and change routes.
Old 07-10-09, 10:38 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
+1 report to police. If it happened to me more than once, I'd be riding with a video camera. If he ever hits a cyclist, justice will be a lot more likely if there are multiple reports of him harassing and threatening cyclists on file.
Old 07-10-09, 11:57 AM
duke_of_hazard

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
Post his plates on craigslist. I had a same driver harrass me twice on my morning commute-- in different vehicles (6:30 am- zero traffic). Someone from the DMV emailed me all sorts of info on the driver, including his criminal record.
Can you elaborate on how this works? Where did you post it in craigslist and how did the DMV see it?
Old 07-10-09, 12:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know about calling the cops. It's not clear that the guy did anything illegal or dangerous. He's definitely a rude jerk and a bully, however.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-10-09, 12:23 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by itsjustme
+1 report to police. If he ever hits a cyclist, justice will be a lot more likely if there are multiple reports of him harassing and threatening cyclists on file.
+1
Old 07-10-09, 12:24 PM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100 on recording the plate number, type of vehicle, drivers description, and time of day-for each incident.

If for no other reason but to establish a pattern of hostility on his part. You may want to notify the police as well. If the problem ever escalated you would have the grounds for a restraining order against him at the very least.

Of course, I'm an idealist and would like to believe restraining orders worked. I know they don't, they're fundamentally flawed. I know a woman whose ex-boyfriend beat the snot out of her while he was under a restraining order.

He fled before the cops could catch him and has had an outstanding warrant for his arrest ever since. That was fifteen years ago, they still haven't caught him.

Last edited by DX Rider; 07-10-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 02:31 PM
rowedave76

Bikes: Kona Dew Plus 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't know about calling the cops. It's not clear that the guy did anything illegal or dangerous. He's definitely a rude jerk and a bully, however.
If the guy is gunning his engine and making like he might hit you, that's called menacing. Pretty sure its a criminal charge in most states. Not to mention it is dangerous and can make bicycle riders take evasive action which may result in another accident.

You can call the cops and make some sort of report. Depending on the police in your area and you have his plates, they may even go out and have a talk with this guy. Of course, who knows if this guy is crazy, it may simply escalate the situation.

Last edited by rowedave76; 07-10-09 at 02:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-10-09, 03:42 PM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rowedave76
If the guy is gunning his engine and making like he might hit you, that's called menacing. Pretty sure its a criminal charge in most states.
+1

I was trying to think of the term, I knew battery was wrong. My mother had a similiar incident when she was younger with a car that did the same thing to her, revving the engine, repeatedly acting like they were going to run her off the road, etc...that's what they charged the driver with. You can't threaten someone with a car, it's still considered a weapon.
Old 07-10-09, 04:05 PM
StrangeWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Report and don't change routes, and report EVERY incident, I suggest a cell phone.
Old 07-10-09, 05:16 PM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take pictures, be obvious about it. He'll stop his bullying in a heartbeat.
Old 07-11-09, 12:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Has anyone ever tried reporting a non-serious incident like this? I wouldn't call 911 to report it, as it clearly isn't an emergency.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-11-09, 01:34 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I had one of these years ago, when I worked in Watertown (MA) This guy would pass me much closer than necessary, usually on Main street. A few times, he did this on Arsenal street. He was huge, massive, filling up the driver's seat very nicely. His car was a very beat up looking Olds, of late 70's vintage I think, complete with a coat hanger radio antenna. This guy would do the usual stuff: Lay on the horn, or snarl at me to "get off the F___kin road!"

I took no action at all, but luck was on my side one morning. The Watertown PD had the nitwit pulled over on Arsenal street, and the officers (there were two of them) did not look happy. I have no idea what happened, but I never saw him after that. Yee hah!

The advice here is good. Get yourself a cell phone. This jack***** cannot go around, using his van to threaten people.
Old 07-11-09, 05:50 PM
Commando303

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think others have suggested it, but, I'll still do so: Note his license-plate number and descriptions of him and his vehicle. Go down to your local police station with the information, and file a complaint ("harassment," or whatever [the guy did almost scare you into the street] — if you explain the situation, the officers ought to be able to help you fill out the correct forms). Changing your route sounds like a good "practical" suggestion, but, as some have mentioned, if you've encountered the driver twice, it's probable he's a local and that you'll run into him again — even if you don't, other bicyclists almost certainly will, and a person like this shouldn't be allowed to run around doing this.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-09, 06:47 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Feed his children ground glass.
Old 07-11-09, 10:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Pscyclepath
Get the guy's license number and vehicle description, and report it to the local police, each and every time he pulls some silly stunt like that. They're the folks with powers to either curtail his driving privileges or impose some other penalty that might lead him to changing his ways. Repeated reports establish a pattern of unlawful behavior, which makes it harder for him to claim that "it's just an isolated incident" or more commonly, "I'm sorry, Officer... I just didn't see him."
Bingo.
Old 07-11-09, 10:41 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stop, swing a leg off the bike, and invite him out.

While he's struggling to get the beer gut past the wheel, you can..., well, all kinds of painful things.

Seriously, though, file reports; get info; use the camera phone. Be ready in case you HAVE TO DO what I was saying above....
Old 07-11-09, 11:33 PM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Bikes: 1 Road Bike<-Won it =)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If It happens again i'll definently report it. I should have thought of the liscense plates but i didn't at the time.

The problem is, is that the street that the problem has happened is one i absolutely have to go down unless I want to go 4-5 miles out of my way, so I can't realistically change my route.

If I see him again or have anotehr incident with him I will for shure take down plates and report him.
Old 07-12-09, 01:03 AM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Has anyone ever tried reporting a non-serious incident like this? I wouldn't call 911 to report it, as it clearly isn't an emergency.
Colorado has a "road rage hotline" that connects with the State Patrol office. They take the info and record it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.