Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tool for a Campagnolo 10 speed chain install

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-26-12, 02:38 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

OK, I am heading to my LBS to buy a Centaur 10s chain.
I am being told that I should ONLY install this chain with a Campagnolo chain tool. This degree of specialization strikes me as getting silly, where some bit of biking hardware should A) cost $100 and B) require some obscure special (probably $200) tool just to install a pin.

On the other hand I do not want my wife riding on an unsafe chain (if I just used my all purpose Fizer chain break to do the job.)

can anyone advise as to whether I would be foolish to skip the Campy chain tool?
Old 04-26-12, 02:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I agree that Campy's insistance on their special chain tools, which they obsolete and replace with even more expensive ones at frequent intervals, is extremely annoying. As an alternative, Park makes a good substitute chain tool, the CT-4.2 ,that is suitable for use whth Campy chains at much less cost.

However, a better choice, in my experience, is a Wippermann 10-speed chain. They shorten with any decent chain tool and reconnect with their Connex master link. No exotic or specialized tools needed. I've had excellent service using Wippermann chains on my Chorus 10-speed bike for almost 20,000 miles. They are durable and shift extremely well.

Last edited by HillRider; 04-26-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Correct multiple typos.
Old 04-26-12, 03:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The re rivet the pin head function is not needed, if you
as said above, use a New chain and the quick link..

though Rohloff also makes a chain tool to head the end of the pins too.
Old 04-26-12, 06:14 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
OK, I am heading to my LBS to buy a Centaur 10s chain.
You'll spend a lot less money ordering it from your favorite UK supplier (ribble, shinybikes, etc.) although it'll take a few days to arrive.

can anyone advise as to whether I would be foolish to skip the Campy chain tool?
Universal Cycles sells Campagnolo 10 speed KMC Missing Links for $3 each which install without tools.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16793
Old 04-26-12, 06:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I agree that Campy's insistance on their special chain tools, which they obsolete and replace with even more expensive ones at frequent intervals, is extremely annoying. As an alternative, Park makes a good substitute chain tool, the CT-4.2 ,that is suitable for use whth Campy chains at much less cost.

However, a better choice, in my experience, is a Wippermann 10-speed chain. They shorten with any decent chaint tool and reconnect with their Connex master link. Noe exothic or specialized tools needed. I've had excellent service using Wippermann chains on my Chorus 10-speed bike for almost 20,000 miles. They are durable and shift extremely well.
+1,

I also use wippermann chains. Besides saving on a useless tool, the Conex reusable connector make it easy for me to rotate 3 chains every 1,000 miles. This greatly lengthens the life expectancy of the drive train, plus is convenient, since I can do a thorough clean and lube while the chains are on deck off the bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-26-12, 06:33 PM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can use the park tool with the campagnolo chain.
Old 04-26-12, 08:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by ultraman6970
You can use the park tool with the campagnolo chain.
Yeah, I said that in the second post.
Old 04-26-12, 08:51 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use a Shimano 10-speed chain tool with the Campy 5.9 Ultra Narrow chain and reconnect the chain with the Campy 10-speed pin that comes with the chain. But actually any chain tool with the correct size pin punch will work if you are careful to keep the tool aligned concentrically with the new pin.
This is not true for Campy 11-speed though.

The only time I remove a chain is when I replace it.

Last edited by Al1943; 04-27-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 09:10 PM
mechBgon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For 10-speed Campy chain installation, I use my Park Tool CT-5, which is their small one. To keep the chain from climbing out (which the Campys seem prone to), I hold the chain down into the tool with an arc-joint plier. We've actually got the "official" Campy 10sp tool too, but its only claim to fame is the built-in hold-down feature.

If you had the 11-speed Campy chain, then it's time for the real McCoy (or an equivalent specialty chain tool specifically made to work that way), because they're a whole 'nother deal.
Old 04-26-12, 09:25 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
KMC chains and links have been good to me.
As much as I like Campy, I ain't buying their chains.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-26-12, 10:13 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
As an alternative, Park makes a good substitute chain tool, the CT-4.2, that is suitable for use with Campy chains at much less cost.
Campy chains with the OEM connector (called a HD Link) are not meant to be taken apart. When you buy the chain it will include a use once connector similar to a Shimano connector pin, except the pilot pin is set into the rivet, not attached and broken later. Campy also recommends that you only remove extra links from one side (so the plates where the pin was pushed out is discarded). A lot of riders like the convenience of a re-usable connector and many of the connectors out there are rated for Campy chains. Be advised however that their is when redesigned their Campy 10s chain to Ultra Drive, they reduced the inner plate dimension by .1mm. the same as SRAM 10S. Most of the compatibility claims of connectors for Campy 10s where for the old wider inner plate so they may rattle around a little. I have tested the SRAM 10S connector (which labeled single use) and it fits without any play. Anyway I used the Park CT-3 with Centaur Ultra drive chain and it works fine; there is a step by step explanation here at Park Tool (where else) https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...railleur-bikes scroll down to Campagnolo® 10-speed Chains. I think is the best advice is if your are going to use a Campy chain with the HD link plan on keeping the chain on the bike for cleaning or pretty much any other purpose. While I may experiment from time to time, I tend to connect chains the way the manufacturer says; just me

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 04-26-12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 03:51 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get rid of the Campy chain and replace with a Wipperman. I have one on my Campy Daytona drivetrain and it works great. No tools needed once it's the right length.
Old 04-27-12, 08:40 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by LVRider
Get rid of the Campy chain and replace with a Wipperman. I have one on my Campy Daytona drivetrain and it works great. No tools needed once it's the right length.
Do you get 5000-6000 miles out of those like Campagnolo chains, or do they work more like other chains that stretch in half that?
Old 04-28-12, 08:36 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Do you get 5000-6000 miles out of those like Campagnolo chains, or do they work more like other chains that stretch in half that?
I get that much and way more out of a Wippermann chain before it stretches to the replacement point. I run the chain and cassette together until the "stretch" is 1% and then replace both. Since I use lower line cassettes (105 or Veloce) I'm not damaging a high cost cassette and see no reason to pay for a bunch of chains to protect the cassette.
Old 04-30-12, 02:25 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have 1000 miles on the chain, it seems fine so far.
Old 05-01-12, 03:46 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
KMC chains and links have been good to me.
As much as I like Campy, I ain't buying their chains.
+1

You can use KMC's chain and link or just the link on another chain. No worries.

They also make an 11 speed chain (X11SL, X11L) with a tool-free connecting link.
Old 08-01-18, 12:17 PM
Creaky Crank

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I would advise those 'advising' herein to refer queries directly to the most knowledgeable and established references, i.e. Park or the official website of the brand in question, mostly Shimano or Campy or SRAM, unless the topic is veering off into uncharted territory. Zinn also offers much real-world tested info about mixing sizes and brands of componentry, and chains mostly can work narrow-on-wide cogs, but not wide-on-narrower cogs. Some chains advise one side facing out, some either way. I used to use Wipperman chains but thought they wore too fast, yet I have run Wip links exclusively for over ten years to connect Shimano and Campy chains with never an issue, noting the proper orientation is important, and the link must match the chain, both in speed designation and even brand, as subtle width differences can make for incompatibility or rubbing problems. The whole point really reflects the need to remove a chain to actually clean it, and hot waxing has replaced any other method now for superior lubing, grime and water repellence. The entire purpose of replacing chains well before the 1% margin is to avoid the replacement of expensive cogsets. Fifteen years on a DuraAce cluster solely by never trying to get more life from one chain proves the principle. The only chain I ever broke was a 9 speed SRAM, trying to clean a steep rubble field, and it did not break at the quick link, so I've just used the one-Wipperman per-life of one chain combo without issues on MTB and road bikes. Why SRAM, Shimano, and Campy persist in complicating chain systems may be part liability, part planned obsolescence, part awareness that many will opt to replace more parts sooner rather than cope with the necessary task of maintenance.
Old 08-01-18, 12:43 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Creaky Crank
Honestly, I would advise those 'advising' herein to refer queries directly to the most knowledgeable and established references, i.e. Park or the official website of the brand in question, mostly Shimano or Campy or SRAM (snip boilerplate)
That advice is uniformly rejected as "snarky" in this forum, even after six years.
Old 08-01-18, 12:46 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
EDIT - this is a zombie post from 2012. Why revive it? (and paragraphs are useful.)

Quick links work
I always used a Wipperman Connex link on my Campagnolo 10 speed chains. It's simple and foolproof to install and remove with no tools. Just a regular chain tool is needed to push out a pin to shorten the chain.

For 11 speed, the Connex links were originally very expensive. So I've been using the Sram Powerlock for 11 speed on both Shimano and Campagnolo chains. It's not as simple to remove, needing a tool, either pliers or one bent from an old spoke.

My Park Tool compact chain tool CT-5 was workable for 10 speed, but it can barely push out an 11 speed pin. I needed to hold the loop handle with a wrench to get enough leverage.
So I got the very nice CT-3.2 chain tool. Lots more leverage, and very sturdy.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-01-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 01:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yes, Campagnolo makes a Chain tool
Old 08-01-18, 08:06 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yes, Campagnolo makes a Chain tool
Indeed they do. In fact they've made several over the years, each one was both expensive and quickly obsoleted.
Old 08-02-18, 11:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

good luck, shoppers..

Bike companies envy the Phones you have to keep replacing every few years ,
and do .
Old 08-06-18, 09:00 PM
zmalwo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i used a $14 simple knock off brand tool for campagnolo 11s chains and haven't had any problem with it.
Old 08-07-18, 02:12 PM
Creaky Crank

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
That advice is uniformly rejected as "snarky" in this forum, even after six years.
1) "After six years" you still took the time to make your own snarky response
2) another promptly added their two cents worth after our respective comments, so it amuses me whenever others also consider any posts as Zombie threads even though people might still be finding these in search engines, and perhaps continue making less than optimal decisions based on such outdated information.
3) Six years has seen radical changes in drivetrain and chain design, including 12-speed cogsets, yet 1 x arithmetically reduces the overall versatility of gearing in favor of pieplate sized cogs and pendulous long rear cages.
4) The big Three makers have mostly improved their websites for accessing how-to information; Park, as the only aftermarket tool maker to provide detailed info on current service protocols for most components old and new, clearly shows how each brand differs in specifics, including some distinctions between "recommended" versus practical substitutions or combinations.
5) Why my suggestion, that the designers and makers of components and tools might just know a bit more about products and set-up than average anonymous posters on this website, is "snarky," is itself snarky, and aggressively pointless, particularly as you alone appear to be the solitary uniform rejector.