Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Beginner questions on brazing equiptment - Part 3, Nozzle Tips

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 09-07-18, 02:39 PM
bikingman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Part 3, Torch Tips
  1. What range of tips do you use for different frame building jobs? I guess that smaller tips should be used but look forward to hearing what other's think.
Look forward to reading this discussion and feel free to answer questions if you need any clarification.
Dan
Old 09-07-18, 04:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
You'll want a number of sizes; big ones for bottom bracket shells and fork crowns, medium for lugs, and small for braze-ons. Exactly what types and sizes will depend on the torch and the fuel gas you use (e.g. acetylene or propane).
Old 09-07-18, 06:41 PM
bikingman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, John, I guess the larger the mass of the tubes, the larger the tips should be, and if using propane, then even larger end bits should be used. It's going to be a journey to become comfortable with which tips to choose for different projects, especially when connecting tubes of different thicknesses.
Old 09-07-18, 09:02 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Tips are usually not referenced with their actual orifice diameters, like so much of a closed community the terms are part of the exclusion. The tip IDs that I use range from .025" to .060". Newbies usually find that a smaller tip is easier to "keep up with" (in that things happen slower) but this adds time to heat up and during brazing, flux has a time at temp aspect that drops off at some point. This is for OA not OP. ndy
Old 09-08-18, 09:39 AM
bikingman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Tips are usually not referenced with their actual orifice diameters, like so much of a closed community the terms are part of the exclusion. The tip IDs that I use range from .025" to .060". Newbies usually find that a smaller tip is easier to "keep up with" (in that things happen slower) but this adds time to heat up and during brazing, flux has a time at temp aspect that drops off at some point. This is for OA not OP. ndy
Thanks, Andrew for that insight. Will bear it in mind moving forward. Just a quick question regarding 'OA not OP.' I hear with propane; one should use a wider tip ID. Does your observation of newbs apply to OP? Do newbs prefer the slightly smaller tip using OP relative to a seasoned pro? Or are you referring to the time to heat up/brazing
Old 09-08-18, 10:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I would search this forum and Velocipede Salon for Doug Fattic's posts about OP. he's done a lot of homework and shared a lot.

My commit about a newbie using a smaller tip is that they don't have the skills to control things as they happen and often react after things get too hot. A smaller flame slows down this and allows their reactions to better keep pace. But the longer the time at heat the more the flux "wears out" and the metal goes through it's changes. This is why good instruction and practice are so important before a real frame is tried. Andy