Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Prostatitis and More

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Prostatitis and More

Old 06-07-19, 06:12 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Prostatitis and More

Last November I had the extreme pleasure of keeping an appointment set with Doctor Thickfinger for a colonoscopy. Don't recall what was said or done, but I am sure it was a fine affair. Since then I have had to deal with a hemorrhoid and serious constipation. Never had anything related to these two beauties before. Now, I have prostatitis and an infection up in those hallowed halls of biomechanical genius.

Question: Is it at all remotely possible that something occurred, say a bodily reaction to the infraction in November, that could have triggered all this stuff? I am just flabbergasted by the ills suffered since that time of remembrance, and am unable to ride until the irritation and infection are well under control. It will be many weeks. May even be forced to give up the Turbo saddles I have ridden since 86.

The only thing I have found on the world wide information network is that cycling can contribute to all of these infirmities! Say it ain't so!
Old 06-12-19, 12:31 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
You can try D-Mannose to see if it will help, it's a type of sugar that is very effective against UTI. Combined with unsweetened cranberry juice, it will get rid of infection in no time, if that is the problem. Trader Joe's sells pure unsweetened cranberry juice.
Old 06-17-19, 06:50 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Good news. Everything is cleared up. Doc had me do two weeks on an antibiotic and provided some kind of pill for the narrowing of the tube in the prostate. Seems to have worked. He said I can quite those pills anytime once the syptoms are gone, but will need to start them up again if the dribble dribble comes back.

A friend of mine gave me some prostate health stuff that has Saw Palmetto in it to help keep the prostate open and flowing. I am experimenting with it now to see just how effective it is.

Rode the other day between rain drops on a Sella Italia Super Gel Flow saddle with a huge cutout in it. Took the pressure off the taint, but screwed up my pedal stroke. Too soft and flexy. I put the Turbo back on and it was perfect except for the pressure on the prostate. I think I will continue with it to see if I can get along with it. Been riding it for just about ever and is tough to find something that stiff with a cutout.
Old 06-23-19, 07:15 PM
ja1124

Bikes: 1993 Giant Rincon, 1993 Trek MultiTrack 720, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Giant Innova, 1995 Trek MultiTrack 700 (stolen from my possession but still mine!)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I follow Jennifer Daniels on youtube. She is a former U.S. MD - you can get her bio from most youtube videos in which she appears. She says the culprit for prostatitis is dairy products. ymmv.