Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

So, I had a stroke. Now what?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

So, I had a stroke. Now what?

Old 12-27-18, 03:00 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
Thanks for the continued concerns, prayers, and understandings. Now, quit reading this dribble and go ride...
Man ... you don't look old enough to be in this group!

Glad they are getting it all checked out to determine the cause. My buddy had the procedure to close the hole in his heart. In his case at least, the procedure was smooth with a very short recovery.

Whatever it is, I hope they get it squared away with you back on the bike in short order.

Old 12-27-18, 03:17 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Man ... you don't look old enough to be in this group!
.....Whatever it is, I hope they get it squared away with you back on the bike in short order.
Thanks! I don't plan on aging without a fight!
Old 12-28-18, 08:48 AM
Racer LEX

Bikes: 1985 Miyata 912, 2002 Mongoose Rockadile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll share my experience.

Called TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), I had a similar "episode" in September 2015. You mentioned something about sight. I did experience a haziness in the periphery of my sight in my left eye, however that did improve over time. After the hospital, I was under the care of doctors for several months and took Warfaren and Lipitor (a statin for high chloresterol) during that time; but eventually and with some lifestyle changes, I was able to get "a clean bill of health" i.e.--just see my general practitioner for annuals or as needed just like anyone else.

On another note and in the bigger picture, it was the catalyst in my ultimately putting my health ahead of career as I had been a salesman for 20 years. Shortly after, I left sales behind, and took a simple job I could just leave at work to lessen my stress. Sure I took a hit financially for it (I do just "okay" now), but the trade off of being able to be with my family more, knowing I'm doing everything possible to lengthen my life and my life with them, and as cliche as it sounds, even the simple joy of such as biking to work far outweighs money I have lost.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-18, 11:20 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good luck Doug! Really sorry to hear about your latest episode but at least it sounds like they may be on to something! Have they done a heart cath or an ultrasound by chance? I’m thinking the heart cath would provide them with all the information they might need on flow. I’m NOT a physician but have had all those tests done on me when I had an A Fib episode almost 30 years ago.

I recall spending Christmas in the hospital when I was 5 or 6.......the cause was severe bleeding after a tonsillectomy. My parents were teachers and thought they could squeeze in my surgery during their break from teaching. You just know what life’s going to throw at you???

i hope they make a determination for your symptoms and you’re able to get it resolved quickly so you can get on with life!!! You don’t need that stress!
Old 12-28-18, 11:28 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Thanks Racer LEX and jappe. Great to hear some positive news, thanks Racer. I do have an Ultrasound scheduled with the "module"(?) being stuck down my throat to see the top of my heart. Yeah, I can't wait... But I think it's to address some of the issues you've mentioned jappe. BTW jppe, you could make me smile if you posted a pic of your Pinarello... just sayin...
Old 12-29-18, 06:00 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

My festive Christmas!
Whew; been awhile since I've responded to my own thread!

Spent my entire Christmas "holiday" in hospital. I had another "event" on Christmas eve afternoon that sent me packing back, bummer.

I felt so bad for my family. My daughter's home on break from college as a first year freshman. I'm sure there's no chance of a Neuro-science degree in her future after all this! My wife was awesome, actually, is. She never left me, got less sleep than I, spent most of the time in a stiff chair; my sweet advocate. If there is anything positive through all this, it's the re-inforcement of my love/respect for her and hopefully, the further strengthening of our friendship.

I think there may have been a break through! Testing is starting to show that I have an enlarged chamber in my heart that may be allowing "blow back" (layman terms). Possibly a hole that never sealed well from birth. May need a
surgical procedure to seal it, and, hopefully, case, or, chamber closed. Time will tell as there are more tests to see results. Still have to go through Opthymalogy to assess my vision. That seems to be my biggest issue to date.
I'm very pleased with the care and concern of my Doctors thus far; Geisinger Medical Center has been great. BTW, if any of you are nurses, God love ya, you are SAINTS!

Thanks for the continued concerns, prayers, and understandings. Now, quit reading this dribble and go ride...
A top-quality post, and your comments about your wife's contribution is truly indicative of how wives tend to treat their really sick husbands. And with one or two little exceptions in my second hospital, what you say about nursing staff is so true.

Fingers crossed that your heart indications are properly sorted out and fixed.
Old 12-29-18, 10:22 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

At Sunset Beach testing the accuracy of the elevation reading on my Garmin

At the top of Morrow Mountain. One of my regular training rides-110 miles with 6000’ of hills.
Old 12-30-18, 12:03 PM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by jppe

NICE!! Made my day. Thanks.
Old 12-30-18, 02:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

The ultrasound test is pretty cool from what I recall. Mine was in color and it was intriguing seeing the moving parts. My test was inconclusive so they decided to do the heart cath.

The heart cath was pretty straight forward and probably even more routine today than it was 30 years ago. You’re awake during the procedure and it was interesting seeing the dye move through your body. The fluid travels very quickly and feels warm where it travels. Noticeably warmer in the brain and groin areas!! It was most comforting for me to see that all veins and arteries were clear. Just additional information should the physicians determine they’d like for you to have one.

Rest up and good luck!

Old 12-31-18, 12:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by jppe

At the top of Morrow Mountain. One of my regular training rides-110 miles with 6000’ of hills.

Hey Eatonkd ... howz it going?

Old 12-31-18, 02:07 PM
eatontkd

Hey Eatonkd ... howz it going?

Just "chillin" on this rainy PA New Years eve.
Have a wonderful, prosperous, joyous, HAPPY NEW YEAR my fellow purveyors of velocipedic velocity!
Old 01-02-19, 03:40 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Looks like they sent you to the wrong kind of hospital. lol

Keep us informed on how you are doing, eh?

Old 01-02-19, 07:05 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I had one several years ago with no symptoms that was found when I had a brain MRI due to some headaches. The Docs say I have permanent tissue damage. I was riding bikes then and have not stopped. the stroke was a few years ago when I was in my late sixties or early 70's. I am now 76 and train with a power meter and ride with "B" groups (it is getting harder - what I used to think was flat turns out to be 2% and the fast groups dump me about 30 mph.). good luck with it. I wouldn't stop riding.
Old 01-02-19, 08:25 PM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by fastcarbon
I had one several years ago with no symptoms... I wouldn't stop riding.
I don't plan on stopping anything without at least an argument!!!
Old 01-02-19, 08:27 PM
eatontkd

Looks like they sent you to the wrong kind of hospital. lol

Keep us informed on how you are doing, eh?

Tomorrow, Thursday, visual field test in Ophthalmology to determine IF I may have my drivers license back. Wish me well folks, I really want to pass this...
Old 01-02-19, 10:14 PM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts

Tomorrow, Thursday, visual field test in Ophthalmology to determine IF I may have my drivers license back. Wish me well folks, I really want to pass this...
Good luck, the examiners in my area are pretty lenient Hope yours are too ...
Old 01-03-19, 01:15 AM
Rowan

Gee, they take away your licences, too? I have a test supposed to be this month, nine months after an evident that did not involve driving in any shape or form..Good luck with what you have to do.
Old 01-03-19, 10:50 AM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by Rowan
Gee, they take away your licences, too?
Not sure about all states, but I guess in PA if a doctor has concerns about your ability to handle the driving privilege, they may suspend it till medically approved.
Old 01-15-19, 09:20 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Not sure about all states, but I guess in PA if a doctor has concerns about your ability to handle the driving privilege, they may suspend it till medically approved.
Hey eatonkid (to paraphrase your ID) ... howz it going?

Old 01-15-19, 10:41 AM
eatontkd

Thanks for the shout out Biker395!

Tests and Doctors have confirmed I have a hole in my heart. It's been there since birth and never closed like it should have in a, ah, normal person. According to my PC, strokes are not uncommon with this condition. So, there's a "surgical procedure" in my future to have it corrected. This should take care of the issue and, hopefully, NO MORE STROKES! I'm actually rather relieved to know that it wasn't stress that brought this on, but rather a physical condition. I haven't yet met with my Surgeon so I have no date as to when this will be done. As a side bar; every doc comments how young I am to have had this happen... Not sure I should be happy that they think I'm "young" or bummed that it occurred so soon!

I've been allowed back on the road again and am looking forward to getting back to work with some restraint. Health care bills are mounting !!
Old 01-15-19, 10:45 AM
eatontkd

...It wasn't until he had a pre-op physical that the hole in his heart was discovered. Apparently, we're all born with that to allow blood to bypass our lungs (not used in the womb), and for most of us, that hole closes with time. For some it doesn't, and some blood flow to the lungs is bypassed, along with one of its functions ... filtering small blood clots...
My condition exactly Biker... It's like you knew... Que: Rod Serling
Old 01-15-19, 11:13 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

My condition exactly Biker... It's like you knew... Que: Rod Serling
lol ... it just sounded soo familiar. My friend was ridiculously healthy and disciplined. And he only discovered the problem in a pre-op physical exam for a shoulder issue, and then realized he had symptoms that went ignored or undiagnosed for a long time. Fact is, the shoulder issue may have saved his life.

The good news is that the surgery was fairly routine and simple, and fixed his problem well. You'll be back on the bike in no time! Yea baby.

Old 01-15-19, 04:10 PM
Rowan

In its own way, great news to read, and particularly that there is surgical solution on its way. Well done eatontkd, and to Biker395 for his wisdom.
Old 01-15-19, 06:45 PM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by Rowan
...Well done eatontkd, and to Biker395 for his wisdom.
And to you as well Rowan! I've been following your return as well. Excellent my friend. And yes, Biker395 has been an inspiration. Thank you bikeforum
Old 01-30-19, 04:18 PM
eatontkd

Argh! The frustration of waiting.

I met with my cardiologist today. He thinks I'm a good candidate for the corrective procedure. But, he won't continue till I get clearance from yet another Neurologist!? I know I have good health insurance. (Believe me, I pay enough for it...) But I feel like my insurance is being charged for extra opinions so everybody's buddy can make money here.

Sorry.

Had to vent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.