Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Praise to the seagulls

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Praise to the seagulls

Old 07-11-19, 06:01 AM
volvostephen

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert, 2016 Kona Wo, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer Single Speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Praise to the seagulls

There might just be a few makes of vehicles where I find the drivers are maybe a little more inconsiderate than others. I guess the seagulls took note as well. When I saw this at the train station on my ride home Monday, I have to say that it made my day. The seagull that personally targeted me 2 weeks ago is now forgiven.

Sweet revenge
Likes For volvostephen:
Old 07-11-19, 06:26 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
So because someone has a nice car they are inconsiderate, in your opinion, and deserve to have a bird mess all over it?

What you are displaying is called prejudice, as you are prejudging an individual based on your perceptions of other people with similar traits.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-11-19 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-11-19, 06:59 AM
volvostephen

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert, 2016 Kona Wo, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer Single Speed

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It has been my experience that this is a very common observation. That the courteousness of drivers tends to be inversely proportional to the cost of the vehicle. Call me terrible - it still made my day. Observe how the driver parked - not within the lines? Needed a bigger buffer than other cars because they are special..... Praise to the seagulls.

This was meant to be light and fun. I am sorry you are offended.
Likes For volvostephen:
Old 07-11-19, 07:01 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Glad it wasn't my car. BMWStephen has got some cleaning to do.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-11-19, 07:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Well, that escalated quickly.

I understand both the intended humor of the original post, and the follow-up admonition against prejudicial conclusions.

I have talked it over with the birds and they apologized for personally targeting @volvostephen.

They also said if that jerk in the BMW drives into a flock of seagulls again, next time they're coming for his house.

Furthermore the gulls said that those who own straight bar hybrids are a little sensitive, based on their perceptions of people with similar bikes.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-11-19, 07:52 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by volvostephen
It has been my experience that this is a very common observation. That the courteousness of drivers tends to be inversely proportional to the cost of the vehicle. Call me terrible - it still made my day. Observe how the driver parked - not within the lines? Needed a bigger buffer than other cars because they are special..... Praise to the seagulls.

Beemer drivers are very easily triggered, IME. Especially older ones. They probably need a safe space.
Old 07-11-19, 09:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2576 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Glad it wasn't my car. BMWStephen has got some cleaning to do.
Maybe you meant BMWSkipjack?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-11-19, 09:04 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by BobbyG
They also said if that jerk in the BMW drives into a flock of seagulls again, next time they're coming for his house.
Meh....I don't feel like these guys are that much of a threat

Old 07-11-19, 09:06 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Maybe you meant BMWSkipjack?
Not me. I don't drive one.

I just have a distaste for judging individuals based on preconceived notions of a larger group.

It's a whole thing. Lots of people have been against it since the 60's. It's been on the news and everything.

What does this thread even have to do with bike commuting? It's a Volvo fan complaining about BMW's. Isn't there a European car forum somewhere that is a better option for whatever kind of schlong measurement contest this is? We have plenty of measurement contests right here based on double cranks vs triples and wax based lubes vs oil based lubes. Those are annoying enough. (Triple and wax, by the way.)

And how come no one has chimed in to admonish the seagulls for dropping a few on the Jeep Cherokee in the background? That's a good working class car. It's also parked slightly over the line so I'm sure the OP feels it deserves what's coming to it as he assumes the working class schlub who owns it probably drove over a group of school kids biking to class that day since only a monster would let a tire touch the white lines of a parking space.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-11-19 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-11-19, 09:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Meh....I don't feel like these guys are that much of a threat

Just to be safe I ran...I ran so far away. Could't get away.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-11-19, 09:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2576 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
A. Lighten up. I don't care if you don't have a sense of humor, you don't have to demonstrate it repeatedly.

And how come no one has chimed in to admonish the seagulls for dropping a few on the Jeep Cherokee in the background? That's a good working class car. It's also parked slightly over the line so I'm sure the OP feels it deserves what's coming to it as he assumes the working class schlub who owns it probably drove over a group of school kids biking to class that day since only a monster would let a tire touch the white lines of a parking space.
B. Because I personally get more flack from Jeep Cherokee drivers than drivers of most other vehicles, I'm not going to chastise the seagulls for hitting one. I'll leave that to you.
Old 07-11-19, 09:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If it makes you feel better, the BMW driver thinks you’re a hobo
Old 07-11-19, 10:05 AM
volvostephen

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not me. I don't drive one.

I just have a distaste for judging individuals

Misquoted I know but I did it for the irony. You have certainly reigned a whole lot of judgement on me. I don't own a car. My wife and I have a family car (certainly not a Volvo) that she drives and I have been commuting for the past 10 years by bike. During that time every common brand of vehicle has likely passed me unsafely. Yes - I found it funny the specific model of car affected and yes that is because of the stereo type which to me has never seemed out of line with my own experiences. I also did get massively crapped directly on by a very large ocean seagull on June 22 so I have very fresh firsthand experience of how unpleasant it is. I would not wish this on anyone or any car yet this is a reality of life. It happens. I found it funny as I rode my bike by..... Cheers..... bicyclestephen? breezerstephen? actually that day it was schwinnstephen.
Old 07-11-19, 10:07 AM
volvostephen

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If it makes you feel better, the BMW driver thinks you’re a hobo
Awesome response... I get hobo a lot - that or a guy with a revoked drivers license. I mean why else would you be on a bike....
Old 07-11-19, 10:10 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by pdlamb
A. Lighten up. I don't care if you don't have a sense of humor, you don't have to demonstrate it repeatedly.
Wait wait wait....you read that post....the one where I used the word 'schlong' and commented on the ever comical double vs triple crank and lube preference debates..... and you think I'm the one that needs to lighten up and doesn't have a sense of humor?

I posted a photo of Flock of Seagulls, man! Flock of effing Seagulls!!!! It's been scientifically proven that any thread in which such an image is posted cannot be taken seriously as doing so breaks the laws of spacetime and causes an inter-dimensional rift! (It was one of Einstein's earlier theories that unfortunately wasn't proved true until after his death)

Irony is fun.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-11-19 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-11-19, 10:31 AM
BobbyG

Awesome response... I get hobo a lot - that or a guy with a revoked drivers license. I mean why else would you be on a bike....
No, no, the revoked license drivers ride their old 1970s road bikes in street clothes with the drop-bars rotated up and a cigarette in their mouth (or vape device).
Old 07-11-19, 11:32 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by BobbyG
No, no, the revoked license drivers ride their old 1970s road bikes in street clothes with the drop-bars rotated up and a cigarette in their mouth (or vape device).
It's a real thing

Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-11-19, 01:28 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

I posted a photo of Flock of Seagulls, man! Flock of effing Seagulls!!!!
Thankfully, they didn't crap all over a BMW.

Old 07-11-19, 01:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sweet revenge
Just make sure you get that windshield clean before going around the roundabouts.

Old 07-11-19, 03:05 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I had my Volvo covered in seagull crap even worse than that once. 20 minutes after washing it. And I had parked correctly. So no praise for those flying crap bags from me.
Old 07-12-19, 09:48 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I rode BMW motorcycles for many years, and didn't see many people who both rode and drove BMWs. But I did hear (as did my BMW riding friends) "you guys aren't like the car owners" a lot, usually stated in ways that aren't appropriate for a family friendly site like this.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 07-12-19, 08:46 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Old 07-13-19, 11:04 AM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There was a sociology study conducted recently in which researchers crossed a busy intersection, making note of the cars that stopped for them at the zebra and the ones that did not. Then they rank-ordered the results by the value of each car, dividing them into five groups. Groups 1 and 2 (cheapest cars), along with Group 5, stopped the most. Groups 3 and 4 stopped the least.

They also did a similar study with income—they asked volunteers to come in to take a brief questionnaire (income was one of the questions), but had them sit in a waiting room alone with a bowl of candy. There was a sign on the bowl saying the candy was collected and to be donated to kids in need. Same results: folks in the 3 and 4 income bracket were a lot more likely to eat the candy.

The test of course isn't definitive—the results don't say that if you drive X kind of car or make Y income then you're a jerk. Rather that the world's jerks tend to be in the "slightly to moderately better than average" income bracket.
Old 07-13-19, 02:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Check out the video recently posted in A&S...

Personally, I am biased against individuals who drive white SUVs. Sadly, seagull crap does not show up as well on white vehicles.
Old 07-13-19, 05:27 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
If that's the same BMW as in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...asy-steps.html

then the revenge Gods have smiled upon the both of you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.