Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Electra Cruiser Lux Fat Tire 7D Review?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 09:40 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts

TLDR. Looking for a review as it seems like the bike for me. Do the big tires really slow it down? Not my pic but it looked good.

The story....

So I’m looking for another bike. I’ve had a selection over the last few years but I have arthritis and it has made riding difficult in various ways so I’ve sold them all off and am looking for a compromise.

Trek road bike - leaning too far forward and it was tough on my neck and shoulders. Most of my riding now will be on bike paths and the dirt roads around my house so not for me anymore. No complaints just couldn’t ride it anymore.

Trek DS 8.4. Loved the bike but needed the money at the time so I sold it. If I had anything bad to say I thought the tires were a little narrow (700-38) and anything other than hardback or pavement and it just dug in. On the positive I like the 27 gears the suspension fork and the hydro disk brakes. Again I really liked it but I would’ve had the same issue as with the next one.

Electra Moro 3i. Again I loved the look and feel but arthritis reared it’s ugly head and my shoulders couldn’t take the lean. I tried changing the stem and bars but it wasn’t enough so I ended up selling it. I really liked the bike but on the down side it still could’ve used a little more tire and it needed more gears (should’ve had at least 5, the new one got 8 and 2.8 inch tires) While the brakes weren’t hydro, as a bigger guy I loved the disks

Electra Cruiser 1. What’s not to love? 2 moving parts and it’s like riding a lounge chair. The geometry is great but my knees are having an issue with the coaster brake, and the lack of any gearing limits it (at least for me) on anything but the flats and around my house it is anything but.

So back to the Cruiser Fat Tire. It has the geometry of the cruiser with the barcalounger seating, it has disk brakes...not hydro but that’s upgradeable.

It has more tire, though maybe 3.5 is a little more than I need but on the plus side they will act like suspension. It has a few gears. While only 7 it does have a pretty wide range.

Now to my question. I’ve never had any issues with Electra’s build quality , maybe not the highest spec, but always adequate. My question, what do these things ride like? I’m not looking far a racer or downhiller but an 8-12 mph cruiser on a dirt road with rain ruts and potholes ( think Jeep trail but that’s were I live) with enough gearing to get back again. I guess my question is does it require that much more effort to cruise?

I have a Trek/Electra store but they don’t have one and while they could order one in, I’m asking you fine folks as I can’t seem to find any reviews other than some German guy that thinks it’s “Rad” so I was hoping for something with a little more substance.

The runner up in this would be the Non Fat tire cruiser lux 7D or the Townie Path.

The Townie has more gearing (27) and hydro disk brakes - both very nice - but I’m leaning more to the cruiser geometry. That and there is just something off-putting about the townies look...can’t put my finger on it, bust just not a fan. The regular 7D seems to be the same bike with fat tires and disk brakes.

What says bike forums?

Last edited by JehD; 07-14-19 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 07-14-19, 04:47 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Townie has the feet forward technology. You would be even more on your rear a semi recumbent bike. Never owned a cruiser, but have a raleigh retroglide 2.0. I prefer the Townie Geometry when all is said and done. Why not get and ebike?
Old 07-14-19, 07:40 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by alloo
Townie has the feet forward technology. You would be even more on your rear a semi recumbent bike. Never owned a cruiser, but have a raleigh retroglide 2.0. I prefer the Townie Geometry when all is said and done. Why not get and ebike?

Its not about a need for transportation but a want to ride even of just a little. The Raleigh looks nice but an Ebike is too expensive and part of it is just for exercise and the occasional ride around town with the mrs.
Old 07-14-19, 07:43 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
Its not about a need for transportation but a want to ride even of just a little. The Raleigh looks nice but an Ebike is too expensive and part of it is just for exercise and the occasional ride around town with the mrs.
An ebike would make both of you more successful.
Old 07-14-19, 07:49 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
#1 . That Electra Fat Tire looks like a really fun ride.

#2 . I don't have a fat tire bike, and never rode one, but here's a recent discussion about speeds on one. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ch-slower.html

#3 . When it comes to ruts and pot holes, I'm used to standing on the pedals and letting my legs absorb the bumps when possible. That's with 2.125" wide tires and narrower. Hopefully the 3.5" wide tires on that Electra would provide enough cushion so that trying to stand on the pedals of a feet forward cruiser isn't necessary.

#4 . That Electra Fat Tire looks like a really fun ride.
Old 07-14-19, 07:50 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by alloo
An ebike would make both of you more successful.
Maybe it's me, but more successful at what?

Out where I live I don't think they would be that practical as a vehicle replacement to far/too hot. I would rather have an actual motorcycle vs the cost of an ebike but that brings other challenges.
Likes For JehD:
Old 07-14-19, 08:57 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by FiftySix
#1 . That Electra Fat Tire looks like a really fun ride.

#2 . I don't have a fat tire bike, and never rode one, but here's a recent discussion about speeds on one. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ch-slower.html

#3 . When it comes to ruts and pot holes, I'm used to standing on the pedals and letting my legs absorb the bumps when possible. That's with 2.125" wide tires and narrower. Hopefully the 3.5" wide tires on that Electra would provide enough cushion so that trying to stand on the pedals of a feet forward cruiser isn't necessary.

#4 . That Electra Fat Tire looks like a really fun ride.
Thanks for the link. I get it might be slower but from looking again at the pics it appears to be geared the same as the regular bike so have semi slick 3.5 might be an ok compromise vs 4.0/.5 knobbies. SO maybe a slightly higher pressure would work.

Added pics to first post as pics make everything better
Some of it does come down to looks and to me it does look pretty cool and being able to just roll over some of the terrain looks fun.

Last edited by JehD; 07-14-19 at 09:02 AM. Reason: fix
Old 07-16-19, 09:44 AM
Ravensfan52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I did a test ride of the fat lux over the weekend at my local bike store.

I was going to pull the trigger but the matte black version wasn't in stock.
Old 07-16-19, 09:48 AM
Ravensfan52

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
LIst of 7 speed fat tire cruiser

Electra Fat Lux
Sun Baja Cruz
Del Sol Railer Plus
3g bikes Newport BBW 8spd
Old 07-16-19, 05:00 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by Ravensfan52
I did a test ride of the fat lux over the weekend at my local bike store.

I was going to pull the trigger but the matte black version wasn't in stock.
So the only thing you didn’t like was the color? My preference is black. I’ve had a single speed version so I imagine the geometry fit/feel is the same. What did you think of the effort to actually ride vs a regular one?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-19, 12:57 AM
Ravensfan52

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So the only thing you didn’t like was the color? My preference is black. I’ve had a single speed version so I imagine the geometry fit/feel is the same. What did you think of the effort to actually ride vs a regular one?

Thanks.
this is the color they had in stock

I'm going to have the shop order the matte black
Likes For Ravensfan52:
Old 07-17-19, 01:01 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by Ravensfan52
this is the color they had in stock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz85Trla3r0

I'm going to have the shop order the matte black
While I like the black, that looks better in the video than the still pictures. My last cruiser was black and that might be a nice change.
Likes For JehD:
Old 07-17-19, 01:14 AM
Ravensfan52

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks.
While I like the black, that looks better in the video than the still pictures. My last cruiser was black and that might be a nice change.
I'm thinking about adding short ape hangers to mine
Old 07-17-19, 05:26 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
I like the looks of the Lux Fat Tire Bike . I’m considering getting one also . That or a Ghostrider .
I have an Electra Cruiser 1 . When I bought it , it came with cruiser tires with knobs . They made the bike sluggish and hard to peddle . I bought some Kendra semi slicks 1.9’s for it and it made a world of difference in the way the bike rolled and felt . It’s become my favorite bike to ride .
I think the semi slick tires on the Lux fat tire will make it easier to ride .
I need to find one in stock locally to take on a test ride .
edit: thinking of taking a good look at the Lux 7d , the tires on it are 2.25” that should give a good cushion against potholes and bumps . I’ll be riding on an old sidewalk converted to cart path with lots of curbs and uneven concrete .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 07-17-19 at 08:28 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-18-19, 10:10 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
I like the looks of the Lux Fat Tire Bike . I’m considering getting one also . That or a Ghostrider .
I have an Electra Cruiser 1 . When I bought it , it came with cruiser tires with knobs . They made the bike sluggish and hard to peddle . I bought some Kendra semi slicks 1.9’s for it and it made a world of difference in the way the bike rolled and felt . It’s become my favorite bike to ride .
I think the semi slick tires on the Lux fat tire will make it easier to ride .
I need to find one in stock locally to take on a test ride .
edit: thinking of taking a good look at the Lux 7d , the tires on it are 2.25” that should give a good cushion against potholes and bumps . I’ll be riding on an old sidewalk converted to cart path with lots of curbs and uneven concrete .
FWIW the Lux 7D has 2.35 tires but they look like a smoother tire. Im still leaning to the fat bike though.
Old 07-31-19, 08:16 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
FWIW the Lux 7D has 2.35 tires but they look like a smoother tire. Im still leaning to the fat bike though.
I’ve been looking at the Electra Fat Tire 7D also. Sadly no one has one in stock in my area. ;-( In two states I found only one some 130 miles away.
Old 07-31-19, 01:58 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by tim24k
I’ve been looking at the Electra Fat Tire 7D also. Sadly no one has one in stock in my area. ;-( In two states I found only one some 130 miles away.

I know the Trek Superstores that carry Electra will normally order in a bike that is less than $1000 on request with no obligation.

Im hoping to do that within the next month or so, so I can get a chance to ride one.
Old 07-31-19, 02:19 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I know the Trek Superstores that carry Electra will normally order in a bike that is less than $1000 on request with no obligation.

Im hoping to do that within the next month or so, so I can get a chance to ride one.
Yes they will all order one but I want ride/see one before I buy it.
Old 07-31-19, 03:51 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by tim24k
Yes they will all order one but I want ride/see one before I buy it.
I guess I’m fortunate. I have a superstore here and can order it with obligation to buy it.