Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

LBS-now im confused

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

LBS-now im confused

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 08:00 PM
cohophysh
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS-now im confused

another lbs story brought to you by cohophysh! So went into another LBS..quickly noticed and asked if i needed help...well the salesman was a nice fella, very friendly...smelled like he had a liquer lunch or was still steaming from the night before..anyhow...pulls down a trek 1000 sizes me to it and tells me I should look at bikes with the traditional frame...okay fine...however, a month ago, same bike shop different sales associate tells me i should really look at the compact geometry ugg. I guess the real point is just ride the damn bikes and buy what feels and fits best.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 08-03-06, 09:03 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by cohophysh
just ride the damn bikes and buy what feels and fits best.

Yep.
Old 08-03-06, 09:10 PM
slide13

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing you need to remember is that there isn't always a cut and dry correct answer. A lot of it is based on personal oppinion. Personal preferences of the salesperson will always come into play. IMO a good salesperson will give you their oppinion but give you all the facts and if you start leaning away from their oppinion will encourage you to follow what feels proper for you. That was what I always tried to do. I'm a Campy guy, I like steel frames and I prefer to fit bikes a certain way. I don't think I'm always right, I just know what works for me and a lot of other people, but if you come in telling me you want an aluminum frame that is as stiiff as can be with Shimano and you also need a smaller frame then what I might originally pick for you I'll show you exactly what you're asking for. Granted, I'll give you my thoughts as well, but I'm not there to sway you from what you want, only to give advice. Not everyones advice will always be the same, that is just the way it is. Doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong. The key is just finding what is right for you.
Old 08-03-06, 09:15 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slide13
One thing you need to remember is that there isn't always a cut and dry correct answer.
I disagree. I think there is a single correct answer to the compact vs. standard geometry question. The answer is that the main difference between the two is sizing options, especially for short-legged people. All other differences between the standard and compact frames depend on the particular bike models you are comparing. Period.
Old 08-03-06, 09:22 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I disagree. I think there is a single correct answer to the compact vs. standard geometry question. The answer is that the main difference between the two is sizing options, especially for short-legged people. All other differences between the standard and compact frames depend on the particular bike models you are comparing. Period.
So you are saying that compact frames are for short-legged people only. I better get rid of mine.
Old 08-03-06, 10:05 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, I'm a gangly freak on a compact frame. I guess that whole higher head tube, longer top tube doesn't work for us long legged-long armed folk.
Old 08-03-06, 10:34 PM
cohophysh
fishologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he mentioned that traditional frames were better for long torso short legged riders...so guess could be on the wrong bike rad. im going to go try a felt tomorrow

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R

Old 08-03-06, 10:35 PM
cohophysh
fishologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh btw happy belated bday rad...even if you are from the south!!! of washington that is.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R

Old 08-04-06, 02:08 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I disagree. There are just as many sizing options for compact as there is traditional frames.
Old 08-04-06, 07:51 AM
Jinker

Bikes: Univega Via Montega, Nashbar Aluminum frame/105 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your body doesn't know what the frame looks like. All that matters (from a fit point of view) is the positioning of the saddle, handlebars and pedals.

A compact or standard geometry frame can have a steeper or slacker seat tube angle, higher or lower bottom bracket and longer or shorter top tube (or virtual top tube).

Maybe the salesperson was only familiar with the geometry of the lines of bikes that they carried in the store, and was generalizing based on those?
Old 08-04-06, 08:58 AM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
I disagree. There are just as many sizing options for compact as there is traditional frames.
If you have shorter than average legs or a longer than average torso, you will have standover height problems with many traditional frames. Compact frames do give you more sizing options.
Old 08-04-06, 09:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Shhhh!!!

We might have alerted the Retro Grouches.

I think I hear the creaking of leather saddles....

...HIDE YOUR TECHNOLOGY! If cornered then pretend a magnet will stick to your bike....that should placate them temporarily...

Old 08-04-06, 09:32 AM
shawnj73
ride on !!!!

Bikes: Felt F2, Cannondale CAAD 8, Motobecane Immortal Force, Intense Uzzi Sl MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cohophysh
another lbs story brought to you by cohophysh! So went into another LBS..quickly noticed and asked if i needed help...well the salesman was a nice fella, very friendly...smelled like he had a liquer lunch or was still steaming from the night before..anyhow...pulls down a trek 1000 sizes me to it and tells me I should look at bikes with the traditional frame...okay fine...however, a month ago, same bike shop different sales associate tells me i should really look at the compact geometry ugg. I guess the real point is just ride the damn bikes and buy what feels and fits best.
How tall are you? I am 6' 8" Tall and Compact bike just do feel right. I prefer a long the long top tube, over sloped top tube. Plus I feel really cramped on a compact bike. I hope this helps. If I were you, I would ride everything that you are thinking about buying, and then make a decision.
Old 08-04-06, 12:00 PM
headwind_hater
I was fast once

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have shorter than average legs or a longer than average torso, you will have standover height problems with many traditional frames. Compact frames do give you more sizing options.

+1 : I'm going to have to agree with you on that one.
Old 08-04-06, 12:40 PM
shoerhino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Shhhh!!!

We might have alerted the Retro Grouches.

I think I hear the creaking of leather saddles....

...HIDE YOUR TECHNOLOGY! If cornered then pretend a magnet will stick to your bike....that should placate them temporarily...
LOL. Thanks - I needed a laugh.