Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tob tube joining seat tube below seat stays - Why?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 04:54 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've noticed lately that on several bikes I've seen, the top tube joins the seat tube below where the seat stays join.

See?

In the olden days, they always joined at the same place (or so it seems to me.) Is there an engineering reason for doing it this way? Is it for easier standover, or is it just because someone thinks it looks cool?

Anyone really know?
Old 06-08-07, 08:52 AM
Bobby Lex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shorter top tube makes for an ever so slightly lighter bike (every gram counts).

Smaller triangle makes for a stiffer bike.

FWIW.

Bob
Old 06-08-07, 09:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's called "compact geometry' and it's all the rage these days. Often the seat tube is shortened too so the top tube and seat stays do meet opposite each other but the design you picture is also used.

The "advantages" are

1. Lower standover height.

2. Slightly lighter frame, which is made up for by needing a longer seatpost, but it can be advertised as lighter.

3. Fewer frame sizes are needed to fit a variety of riders. That's why you see frames sold as S,M,L,XL instead of by 6 or more cm size.

4. It looks cool.
Old 06-08-07, 09:47 AM
mycoatl
Sasquatch Crossing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, these comments apply to all sloping top tube bikes. Many (most?) bikes with sloping top tubes meet the seat stays at the same place, instead of having the seat stays attach to the down tube above the top tube. I think OP's question was about this feature, and not about the benefits of a sloping top tube.
Old 06-08-07, 11:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My suspicion is that it's easier to clamp in a fixture and easier to weld.

Most of the innovations that you see were really initiated to expedite the frame building process. Then the marketing folks have to come up with a consumer benefit they can sell.
Old 06-08-07, 11:49 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
There are probably different reasons for it, depending on the bike. But that one is a touring bike, and one of it's features is a sloping top tube. If you attached the seatstays to the seat tube at the same height as the top tube is attached, you'd have seatstays that are very low and not steep. In other words, not as good for attaching a rear rack.

Here's a link showing two bikes with the same "effective" geometry, with the difference being one is compact and the other traditional. Look at the difference in the seatstay angles, and at where the seatstays are attached, then imagine the difference it would make if the bikes in the link were going to have a rear rack attached: https://www.k2bike.com/tech_library/p...t_geometry.pdf
Old 06-08-07, 12:56 PM
same time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember reading some marketing materials for... Iron Horse bikes, maybe? It said they attached the chainstays above the top tube so that the top tube weld wouldn't be affected by heat when the seat stays are welded on. Maybe their big robot welder isn't too precise.

I think we got used to seeing the seatstays, seat and top tubes together back in the day when frames were all lugged - you'd want the lug to be small, and attach as many tubes as you can to one lug.
Old 06-08-07, 03:31 PM
eddy m

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
The answer is...

e. All of the above.
Old 06-09-07, 09:59 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The road biking forum talks about this all the time. I haven't the patience to read, but the answer's there. I agree that it looks goofy.
Old 06-09-07, 11:37 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by mycoatl
Yes, these comments apply to all sloping top tube bikes. Many (most?) bikes with sloping top tubes meet the seat stays at the same place, instead of having the seat stays attach to the down tube above the top tube. I think OP's question was about this feature, and not about the benefits of a sloping top tube.
Correct, so I think the best answer is a combination of all the answers above. It's a compact frame to make mass production more profitable and "lighter" frames, but the seat tube can be longer and (arguably) more stable with the higher stays to avoid having to get a 2 foot long seatpost.